iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini Excavator Choice

Started by YellowHammer, September 07, 2022, 08:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

It's time to spend some money, and I have been looking at 2 different specific excavators.  One is a new Kubota 57-4, a 12,000 machine, and the other is a 2 year old KX80 that has been fleet maintained with 750 hours and is a 20,000 lb machine.   I could get the larger but used KX80 for about $10,000 less than than the new 57.  Neither are DEF machines.  I have not eyeballed the KX80 yet, it is awaiting delivery back to the dealer, which is the same dealer who would sell me the KX57. 

The 57 come with a 2 year warranty and would do what I need on the farm, and the 80 would do more than I need, but normally, bigger is better.  I would fit each with a cutter or mulcher of some sort, but be doing lots of stump and tree removal on the farm as well.

I have heard that the reliability of both of these machines is very good, and my dealer said they would go over the 80 from top to bottom to make sure it is in good shape.  The previous owner had a house construction company and has a fleet of machines that contains 3 of these 80's and he trades them back in every 2 years, no matter the hours.  This one would have 350 hours per year for 2 years of digging and excavating for house and subdivision construction.

What do you think?

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tule peak timber

To me a backhoe is more versatile in this size range.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Southside

My Kobelco weighs 52,000 lbs and I have never once wished it was smaller. Digging ponds I have wished it was bigger however.

Putting a mulching head on you want everything to be bigger. Pump, cooling, pins, bushing, etc.

Think LT 15 vs HD 40. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom K

I will disagree with Tule Peak on that. I would never trade my mini & skid loader for a backhoe. 

The main determining factor for me would be do you have a way to easily haul the larger machine, or will you not need to move it after it's at the farm? The 80 should have more hydraulic flow for the mulcher.

Are they both long stick machines? The 80 should also give you more reach unless it's a short stick. 

As long as the 80 has seen a grease gun I would probably lean that way, especially if it comes with a couple buckets. When it comes to stumps bigger is always better. Every size you go up drastically increases efficiency. I have not ran either machine you are talking about but have time on a Kubota 121-3 & 161-3. The 161 (12k lb) is much better with stumps then the 121 (10K lb)

Walnut Beast

Yellowhammer you know better 😂. You would be disappointed with a cutter head on that little machine.  The 80 would be way more versatile

Resonator

Bigger is better if you're doing any stump removal or stacking large logs. Not just in the weight, but also in the overall footprint for stability. Having more track length and blade helps to brace yourself, and not be up on your "tip toes". 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Tom King

I know you value your time.  Get the bigger one.  You will do more in less time.

YellowHammer

Hmmm...So I should get the smaller one?   :D :D  OK, I get it, yes bigger is better, and I guess the warranty isn't worth the tradeoff.

The current owner has a maintenance fleet truck on site for all his equipment, and has a reputation for taking very good care of them, especially with grease.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Dave Shepard

Is the 80 a -4 machine? (KX80-4) they have improved hydraulics  from what I've heard. That would be my first choice, for what I do. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

aigheadish

Fun! I have a hard time affording my backhoe but there are a lot of things around the yard that I'd love to also have an excavator for. 

My assumption is that with the used one they've worked out any bugs that you'd need a warranty for anyway. New would be cool but I don't think at the expense of 4 tons of a$$.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Walnut Beast

I would get a rock bottom quote on a new one from your buddy. Might not be that terrible to get in the new one since you got everything else there. 

Hilltop366

A backhoe is like the Swiss army knife of construction equipment and if you were only to have one machine to do a variety of jobs that would be the one but if have other gear for moving dirt around it would not be my first choice for digging or mulching.

There is a guy in Nova Scotia that runs mulching heads on a variety of smaller excavators mostly Kubota and Sany, he has a bunch of videos on youtube that might give you some insight.

UCkE1wPmBvuaUI6dCh_j-OwQ

scsmith42

KX80 with a hydraulic thumb would be my advice.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

I think the used one is a KX80-4, I need to check on that.  I did some reading after you mentioned it and yes, the -4 has some upgrades.  

I can get a new KX57 with all the options including thumb and 6 way blade for $85K, which is about $4K under anywhere else I talked to.  

A new KX-80 with all the options, such as the tilt front blade, thumb, and stuff is $125K.
The used KX-80 with all the options I can get into for $73K, a difference of $52K, which is huge.  I think my buddy is selling it to me for about what he traded for it, because he said if I didn't buy it, he would easily sell it for $85K plus.  I looked online and saw several of similar hours, and they all were $100K give or take.

It's my understanding these machines are pretty reliable out to 5,000 hours, and then they can keep going.  

I'm thinking that the KX-80 only has 350 hours per year, and that seems very lightly used.  I've only have my CTL for a few months and already have about half that, 150 hours.  

I have also been checking into hammer flails instead of true mulchers.  They used 4 lb swinging hammers like a grinder and can chew through pretty big stuff, and are a crossover between bladed rotary cutters and fixed blade mulchers.    
YellowHammerisms:

Walnut Beast

That is a huge difference! I would definitely get that one. I would get a knife mulcher. It will take bigger trees down and mow with sharp knives. The Diamond brush cutter for excavators is another option. The  mulcher is going to drop some bigger limbs up high then chew them up with the skid or hit them on the ground with the ex. This shouldn't be a problem with you but if your tracking at the same time you won't be able to cut as good. Not enough hydraulic flow. That's why a CAT 309 is popular is it has two pumps so tracking and mowing or mulching is no problem. A friend that has a mulching business said his 80 has done well. He has a bite limiter knife head on it. I'm sure you heard of V Belt and sons on U tube. They got a new Mecalac excavator and kept their Kubota 80 excavator. I think you would be pretty happy! Looking forward to pictures. I understand on looking for a alternative for the mulching heads! They are expensive!!

Walnut Beast

If you want to see what your Kubota 80 excavator can do to have a idea here you go.
Record setting White Oak. 12,500lb. He also has several other videos of his Kubota 80 in action on some big stuff. I remembered this guy because he just got a new 2220 Timberking. 

https://youtu.be/W6s3A6jaV7M

YellowHammer

Does the rotary three bladed cutter vibrate much and may be hard on the boom and pins?

What is a knife bite limiter, a drum mulcher?

What about hammer flails?  Have you heard of them, good or bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ZFHj0gvxU

YellowHammerisms:

Tom K

What type of head to get comes down to how you plan on using it. If you intention is just cleaning up small saplings, brush, and small branches the flail head would work fine. If you plan on mulching larger trees and stumps below grade then a true mulching head is the way to go. 

Walnut Beast

Here is a few things to look into and a comment on a similar setup. https://www.bushmasterequipment.com/

https://www.torrentmulchers.com/

A bite limiter on a knife head limits the bite of the knife so it helps keeps maximum speed and power. 

Not even going to go there but I have a feeling a  bite limiter mulching head is more money than you want to spend 

Walnut Beast

There is the one of the bite limiter ones you want if you decide. Guaranteed you would be  happy with it. I know those guys.  

The thumb goes on the back of unit

Walnut Beast

I talked to my Kubota guy and the 5 series units are going to be coming out and they are going to be pretty nice.  digital control screens, adjustable controls and so on. The 4 units were around 100k out the door and he said now I would probably be around 115k out the door

Walnut Beast

Here is a good walk around and explanation on your 80 machine of how the hydraulics on your machine and the FAE Bite limiter head. There is another video of the difference in two popular heads BL and regular.  You don't have to have the couplers they show. Some guys like them but if your changing your head out you don't want them

https://youtu.be/NPmOio3TMoU

Walnut Beast

Have you made any decisions yet Yellowhammer on what your plans are on the excavators

YellowHammer

I've been waiting for the KX80 to come in, supposedly this next week.  I've sat in the 57-5 and it has more room than the kx80-4.  

I'm waffling between cutters.  Most likely I will go with a bladed rotary cutter or a flail hammer mulcher.  I just don't want to spend $25k on a true mulcher.  With all the rocks around here I'm thinking the rotary 3 blade style will work well because there will be less blades to dull and sharpen. I also want to cut down some big limbs 8" to 10" diameter.

I'm hoping that the machine will be strong enough to just reach up and break a lot of the limbs off.  

YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!