iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine log cabin

Started by pineywoods, August 27, 2006, 03:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

javascript:selectThis('preSpan1')

I'm kinda new here and this is my first attempt at pictures

I have this stand (thicket) of small pine trees that needed thinning real bad. Trees had just about stopped growin at 9 - 10 inches diam. My grandson had been buggin me to build him a log cabin for a bunkhouse at a hunting camp. The logs were all processed on my old LT40 woodmizer. The ends were notched on the mill to get them all the same. The inside of each log is slabbed off, making a smooth inside wall. Top and bottom of each log slabbed off to make them all the same thickness. The floor will be wide pine planks.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14000/Bunkhouse1.jpg
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LOGDOG

Howdy Pineywoods,

Welcome to the Forum. I guess we're neighbors. I'm over by Shreveport/Bossier City. Where abouts are you? Great looking cabin you have there.  :)

LOGDOG

pineywoods

LOGDOG    I'm a few miles east of you (union parish) 25 miles north of Monroe. This area is crawling with small mills. there are 3 woodmizers and a norwood within 5 miles of me.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Max sawdust

Ya,
Nice cabin.  Sounds like a quick method to build a hunting cabin ;)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

sandmar

more pics please  ;D
Sandmar

UNCLEBUCK

I bet your grandson is very proud of you and I bet he just never stops wanting to go help grandpa !  That is very very nice and I hope you show more of it as you continue !   8) 8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

thecfarm

Good job on the pictures.Keep them coming.  8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Update on the cabin. It's been a while. We dismantled the building and hauled it 175 miles to a hunting camp in central Mississippi, where it lay in a pile until recently. Here's a pic of it re-assembled in it's final location. Porch and roofing metal due to be installed this weekend. 1X4 oak for flooring is ready to come out of the kiln. Door and windows are in my shop. The long delay was due to having to drop everything else while we built a road and a bridge.

metalspinner

Piney,
Do you have a close up of the corners and interior?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sbishop

Very nice!...go any pics of the interior roof?

What's the dimensions?

Sbishop

pineywoods

Here's a couple more pics

Cabin is 8X16 with 7 1/2 ft ceiling. Will be used for  bunkhouse at hunting camp. Main lodge is in the planning stage, probably be timber frame or post and beam.

WDH

That is awesome, Pineywoods 8).  I would really like to have one of those.  I like the way you prepared and joined the logs.  Nothing like having a sawmill ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

progress is slow but steady. Here's the metal roof in place and joists for the porch. Inside sub-floor is done. When the roof is finished, we'll install the flooring, 3 inch oak tongue and groove inside, 3 inch oiled pine on the porch.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Nice looking place you got going there!

I have a customer here who wants me to saw out a log cabin kit on my mill.

What is the depth (front-to-back) and the height of you logs when finished?

Thanks;

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

Chuck, I had a source of logs that were all just about 10 inch diameter. Cut 2 inches off one side, flip it 180 degrees and take off another 2 inches, flip 90 degrees and take off 4 inches, leaving a 6X6 with one round side. The key to getting a good fit is to notch the ends with your mill so they are all the same. We still don't have the porch built, but slowly making some progress.

Chuck White

pineywoods
Thanks for the info.

Now all I have to do is figure out an "hourly" rate.
Can't rightfully go with board footage.

Thanks for posting those pictures.
I'll have to print them off and use them as the project progresses.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

Latest update on the cabin. It" starting to look like a redneck hunting camp.

Still have hardwood floors to install, then door and windows...

pineywoods

At long last, it's about finished. Here's latest pics. Oak floor installed last weekend, along with shutters and door. I'm sure the daughter-in-law will want some matching furnishings, but the basic cabin is done. The oak for the floor was cut on my mill, dried in my solar kiln,  planed on my woodmaster 718 and finished on my tiwanese shaper. Laid down over pine sub-floor with a vapor barrier between. I didn't build the rocking chairs, but I'm sure looking forward to using one of them a bit. The shootin arn laid across the left hand rocker is a rare one, double barreled 410 gauge.

fishpharmer

Pineywoods, nice job.  The cabin looks super.   Most folks would love to have a floor like that in their house.

8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ljmathias

Pineywoods- beautiful cabin!  I'm working on a small house for the MIL and was planning on mostly wood interior and exterior siding and floors, maybe even ceilings.  Your interior siding looks like it's not T&G - are my eyes bad or is it just butted together?  I assume you dried it also in your kiln (man, I need one of those!)?  Did you also dry the exterior siding or put it up wet?  I'm cutting up pine logs I've had peeled and under roof since Katrina and hoping they're dry enough to make siding that won't move much- best laid plans of mice and men...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Dodgy Loner

Looks great, piney.  I bet it feels good to get that done! :)

lj, those are actual logs with three sides squared up on the sawmill, not siding.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

JD350Cmark

Pineywoods -

Thats a fine look'in cabin.  Did you have to buy anything for the construction?  How far off the beaten path is it? 

I tried to get by w/o spending money when building my hunting cabin.  Known on here as my "shed."  I gave into by buying plywood and new roofing.  Have stacks of old tin around, but didn't want to have to deal with any drips.
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

pineywoods

Quote from: JD350Cmark on February 18, 2009, 09:55:16 AM
Pineywoods -

Thats a fine look'in cabin.  Did you have to buy anything for the construction?  How far off the beaten path is it? 

I tried to get by w/o spending money when building my hunting cabin.  Known on here as my "shed."  I gave into by buying plywood and new roofing.  Have stacks of old tin around, but didn't want to have to deal with any drips.

We bought new metal for the roof, door and windows came from a salvage yard, new concrete blocks for the foundation. All the wood came off my farm, cut on my mill. The logs are all from the same stand of volunteer loblolly pine. It's located about 1/2 mile off a dead-end gravel road on 100 acres of overgrown clear cut. No vehicle access, just tractor or atv.

cheyenne

Be proud thats a very nice cabin for the youngins.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

shtickhead

Nice cabin, did you spike or pin the logs together?
Is there a way to notch the ends without turning the logs end for end on the mill?

pineywoods

Quote from: shtickhead on February 22, 2009, 01:18:36 AM
Nice cabin, did you spike or pin the logs together?
Is there a way to notch the ends without turning the logs end for end on the mill?

Spikes through the tails and the window and door frames.

Not that I could figure out. Putting the bandblade on backwards don't work ;D

customdave

Nice cabin Pineywoods! As far as putin blade on backwards, don't fret , least you didn't forget where you last parked your mill :D

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

pineywoods

CustomDave, I ain't too sure about that, I think I left it in the saw shed, but I might better go check,  I have put the blade on inside out, teeth pointed the wrong way.. didn't cut worth a DanG..

jerry-m

Looking good piney... Sorry I missed this thread at the begining...
Jerry

Thank You Sponsors!