iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pumpkin Chunkin

Started by metalspinner, October 10, 2009, 05:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

I just couldn't help myself. ;D

This should be able to shoot more than just marshmellows. :D

Still have lots of work to do on it, but it's starting to look like something, so I thought to show you guys...

My buddy and I are working together on this.  He will be making all the metal componenets and I will supply the woodworking stuff.

Those brackets are about 3/16" and we used 5/16 bolts.  That is 3" x 6" white oak.  The arm is about 12' long and 8" square. 

Our hopes are to hang about 1,000lbs from it to launch a 10lb pumpkin. 8) 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ianab

YES  8)

Just wait till Lil gets home and see's this  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ironwood

We're goin there, just not this year. We'll likely tie it to the local BSA as a funraiser.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

Ironwood,

We are building this for a scouting event this year.  Each year we have a "Pumpkin Pallooza" which includes a chunkin' contest. ;D 

Now you have me wondering how to turn this thing into a fund raiser. smiley_headscratch

Here was last years effort...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,33708.0.html

Tom

Have a stack of pumpkins for sale and, for and extra dollar, chunk it for them.  You could have a bunch of certificates there and write the distance on it for them.   That way, they could try to beat their distance next year. (or the next punkin' they chunk)

Warbird

fstedy

I went to the local Punkin Chunkin contest last Saturday. Furtherst throw was 970 feet.
There were a lot of scouts involved also.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Paul_H

Quote from: metalspinner on October 10, 2009, 05:36:39 PM

My buddy and I are working together on this.  He will be making all the metal componenets and I will supply the woodworking stuff.

You're a lucky man,metalspinner.My dog can't weld but he can promote rust on metal if you leave it up against a tree.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Harrison House (UNB Residence) "Great Pumpkin Sacrifice" ;D

The Great Pumpkin Sacrifice is a unique tradition that has been in existence since 1973 at Harrison House, a now co-ed dormitory located at the centre of the campus. As part of the ceremony, a large pumpkin is carried around campus, lit and then thrown off the residence roof in a fiery explosion. The pumpkin itself is carved with a unique three-eyed face that is simultaneously frowning and smiling on the onlooker. The sacrifice is made in the hopes for a good academic harvest.

The tradition began on Halloween 1973, when a small group of students threw pumpkins off the roof of the residence.

"Pumpkin Chucking"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTgUUsvrU_o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

okmulch

Hey that looks really good. When you get it mastered then next year you can build the canons using compressed air. I saw one on TV the other day that shoots pumpkins at around 600 MPH! :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

lmbeachy

Punkin chunkin is a big thing here in Delaware. The champion for a number of years was from Ohio if I remember right. He used compressed air and shot a punkin about 1 mile. That is a nice looking rig that you are building there. I think a catapult type would be more fun to watch. They say that the compress air cannons are like watching a gun go off, all you hear is the noise, but you don't get to see much of the punkin, it goes to fast.
hotfoot

metalspinner

We have rules that do not allow compressed air, electricity, internal cumbustion engines, hydraulics, or pneumatics.

But, since I am the one that wrote the rules, I can change them as I see fit. ::) :D

We worked for hours today, yet the machine basically looks the same.  A design change was needed in the height of the uprights.  We were able to machine the main axel, drill the beam for bushings, and have a fit-up of the beam.  It was then we figured the uprights were too short. :-[  All of our research taught us the beam needed to be "cocked" at about 45 degrees.  So I came home and scrounged some more 12/4 stock to remedy that problem.

But, the fit-up allowed us to better visualize the counterweight. It also looked really cool. ;D   

The  next big step is making the counterweight.  No small feat considering it needs to be about 1,000 pounds.

fstedy,
970 feet might be a bit ambitous for this machine. :o  If we can pull off 500', we'll be very happy.  I'm sure a 50 footer will still bring a smile to our face. ;)

Tom,
I like the way you think.

SwampDonkey

:D Reminds me of a road runner scene when Wile E Coyote placed a stone on his acme catapult and fired. The whole rig flipped upside down and on top of'm. Stand way back. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shinnlinger

Why are you going 100-1 on your counter weight?    I had a class of mine one year build about 30 mini trebuchets and we found 60-80 - 1 was the sweet spot.  If we went more than that, things started to break and they didn't throw any further.

Also are you putting yours on wheels or are you building a swinging counter weight?  Have you made your swing arm arm yet.  We found a 5-1 ratio on pivot placement worked well.  Sling designs and trigger configurations were  obstacles too...

Good luck,  I keep thinking I will build a big one myself some day....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

metalspinner

Shinnlinger,

We have no experience to fall back on for this thing, just internet research.  We found a sight that recommended 80-100 to 1 counterweight ratio.  I went to Wally World and weighed various pumpkin sizes.  They range from 3 and 4 lbs to 11 and 12 lbs.  The CW will have a base weight of about 400 lbs and we will be able to add steel plate to it up to whatever we need.  Hopefully we will find that sweet spot you speak of. ;)

Oh, and it will be a swinging CW.

SD,
:D  We will have a loooooong string to release the trigger - which has yet to be designed. :-\

WDH

Just think, in Medievel times, you could have thrown a whack of boiling pots of oil with that thing. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Quote from: WDH on October 12, 2009, 09:28:02 AM
Just think, in Medievel times, you could have thrown a whack of boiling pots of oil with that thing. 

In some cases, throw a dead horse over the castle wall. PHeeewww smiley_airfreshener
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

metalspinner

IMERC

that puppy's name better not be Pumpkin...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

you got my attention...

Sling On dude....

shinnlinger

I think you want a hinged trigger where the actual loop coming off your arm nests at the base of the "hinge".  the hinge itself would be at least a foot long and you lock it down with a pin on the opposite end of the hinge.  That pin could be pulled by your long string.

I like you ability to adjust the weight.  I was thinking I would build mine with a 55 gallon drum as a counter weight that I could add/drain water as needed.  I think it would be good fo up to 8 pounds of projectile.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SwampDonkey

Now you guys got me thinking about Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail. :D

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs

Tom

The page says "The URL contained a malformed video ID. "

Probably a Monty Python joke.  :D

IMERC

SwampDonkey

"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

"A swallow could carry it."

"None shall pass!"

"Bring me a shrubbery!!"

"We are the knights that go Ni"

"Ni, Ni, Ni, Ni..........Ni"

Thank You Sponsors!