iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Walnut Beast, November 21, 2020, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgerow

Seems like around my farm wood floor flat bed trailers just don't work out. No matter how careful I am wood floors and equipment just don't go together. My two bigger flat bed trailers have steel floors and work real well. I do have a smaller 7x14 that I haul my Grasshopper mower and my compact tractor on and its wood. I try not to skid things on that trailer it does have a ramp gate and I really like it but I rebuilt it years ago with quarter inch plate steel the wire mesh didn't hold up.  

Walnut Beast

The oak flooring seems to hold up pretty good

mike_belben

Free of heart will last 2x longer than flat sawn wide planks.  They get laid down green and dry on one side in scorching sun then split at the heart and pool water until the boards split in two on their own. 

Motor oil helps
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

chevytaHOE5674

My tilt deck has a diamond plate rear section, and my GN flatbed has diamond plate over the tires. It is miserable stuff,  when its cold and frosty its extremely dangerous (thats like 7 months of a year here), anything on steel tracks it is dangerous, spill any oil on it and its slicker than owl scat.

I'll replace wood every few years over sliding a piece of equipment off the deck because the steel is frosted up.

mike_belben

I just said to my wife, "hunny, how slick is owl sh..?

She said "whooooooo knows?"

:laugh:
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Good people and dealers make all the difference in the world. I have a custom order on the way but we had 32' down , then 35' on trailer length but 32' is built and on the way. We went several rounds on who was right or wrong in a good way. Bottom line the dealer wants me to be happy so was willing to order a new trailer at 35' even though the trailer is custom and very expensive. The two month wait is now 6 months. Crazy times

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 02, 2021, 07:04:13 PM
Good people and dealers make all the difference in the world. I have a custom order on the way but we had 32' down , then 35' on trailer length but 32' is built and on the way. We went several rounds on who was right or wrong in a good way. Bottom line the dealer wants me to be happy so was willing to order a new trailer at 35' even though the trailer is custom and very expensive. The two month wait is now 6 months. Crazy times
I did just stay with the 32' that's on the way

Walnut Beast

Does anybody have a deck on the neck and if so how do they like it ?

mike_belben

Had one on my 30ft GN but it had to be clipped in the corners alot or it hit my sleeper.  I have a stubby toter frame and the ball is already behind my drive axle.  
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Mike what do you think about the angle corners on the DC one. Do you think that's enough. I'm debating on getting it. Was going to put a fuel tank up there

Walnut Beast

I couldn't go with the deck on the neck with the winch box setup. I could have went with the winch underneath the deck but I wanted the one in the lockable box. Then I changed my mind over a month later and called but it was already in production. I might just order the bolt on one and fab around the 17.5k winch

mike_belben

on a stock 2wd truck that is low to the ground with no headache rack, the top deck can pass over the roof on a flat ground jackknife and the trailer not be a mile high with the gooseneck sleeve telescoped all the way elongated to clear.   or you can have the ball up on a riser, such as a 5th wheel hitch and an adapter ball for an extra chunk of clearance.  a longbed will probably be okay at normal height but a short bed will not.  it was my buddy who clipped the trailer i own now to clear the cab on his jacked up 4door 8ft bed f350 but i never really saw it in action hooked to his truck so i can't say too well.  i think on my dodge dually longed it would have passed over the roof but i don't remember, only pulled it a time or two.

my 2 ton has a sleeper that is way over the trailer neck and the ball is only about 3 feet behind the sleeper so there was no fudging it.  if not clipped i couldn't turn at all and i still can't go to a full 90.  

in a 260" wb semi truck with a 48 spread with double dumps picking and dropping in very very tight industrial spaces, mega rich backyards, turning around in the woods at quarries.. all sort of places where it "can't be done" .. i was always jackknifing to the max.  with double dumps you can crab walk the trailer by dumping the spread and pivoting from one axle to the other so the trailer tips toes side to side with only back and forth forward travel of the rig.  it doesn't work on a closed tandem so jackknifing my GN that hard is a really peculiar thing except say when stuck and you just slide into a bad position.  my trailer has hit my sleeper on both sides. 

not that this clears anything up.  i guess its a long way to say i don't know. 
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 02, 2021, 10:26:01 PM

Does anybody have a deck on the neck and if so how do they like it ?
Years ago I had a 40 ft four axle single tire flatbed that had a 8X8 deck like that on the gooseneck. The trailer was built for hauling square bale hay and that is what I used it for also. It was a used trailer when I bought it. Back then I pulled it with a short wheel base C65 gas burner tractor and you had to watch when you started jacking it around. Worked great for hay. I sold the trailer when we quiet baling little squares. If you want to mount a fuel tank on the gooseneck  just use some angle or channel across the neck and bolt the tank to it. I ran one for years that way with a 100 gallon tank. Worked great. Around here you will see the landscaping guys will had a deck like that once in a while. 

Walnut Beast

Anybody looking for a better ride with there Gooseneck this is the answer 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

My GN has an 8x8 deck on the neck. Comes in handy once in a while for things but even on a long bed truck I have to constantly watch when on uneven ground making tight maneuvers. 

One of these days I'm probably going to get aggravated enough with it I'll torch it off.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 01, 2020, 12:47:30 PM
Over 26,001 no CDL here for anything for farm related operations
I was reading the thread to see if you had a farm card since you have a farm. I have the farm exempt. Good for you.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Many different tow rigs work 

Walnut Beast

Sounds like trailer is on the way after this nasty weather. DC plants shut down three days. Added Options.       BOX: 14" X 14" X 42" UNDERSLUNG (3.00) , NOTE: *** 1 ON FRONT---BOTH SIDES *** 1 IN FRONT OF TIRES ON PASSENGER SIDE *** | BRAKES: ELEC OVER HYD, 12K DISC W/ HEAVY DUTY ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION | CHARGER: 7 WATT SOLARPULSE PANEL | COUPLER: SHOCKER HITCH (GN PKG) | EXTRA CLEARANCE LIGHTS: EXTRA CLEARANCE LIGHTS (4 PAIR) | FLOOR: 2" OAK FLOOR | FLOOR: ZIG-ZAG FLOORSCREWS  | JACK: DUAL 12K HYDRAULIC JACKS | SPARE: ST215/75R17.5 16-PLY DUAL BLACK, NOTE: *** BLACK WHEEL *** | SPARE MOUNT: FOLD DOWN SPARE MOUNT UNDER NECK | STEPS: EXTRA RETRACTABLE STEPS (PAIR) | TIEDOWNS: HD 5/8" D-RINGS (10.00)  | TIRES/WHEELS: ST215/75R17.5 16-PLY DUALS BLACK, NOTE: *** BLACK WHEELS *** | WINCH: 17,500# ELEC WINCH PACKAGE (INCLUDES WINCH PLATE)

scsmith42

Looks good. What are zig zag floor screws?

My Brute came with 1.5" oak decking. I debated about going with 2", but did not want the extra weight for the thicker decking to detract from my payload capacity.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Walnut Beast

Thanks, The zig zag floor screws are the ones they use to hold the flooring down. I got extra. Every cross member instead of every three

Walnut Beast

How about a 30k dump trailer. 8" bore TELESCOPIC Lift Cylinder with 13 hp electric start option is only 7,200 bucks 😂

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!