iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rain

Started by Brian w, December 15, 2018, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on February 04, 2019, 04:49:40 PM
last week we were frozen with -30 to -40 temps, today it set a record for the hottest temp ever on this date , about 45 above . What a mess and its to rain most of the night tonight , about half of the fields are under water and so are the bush lots . Wed its to be freezing rain whole day then rain Thursday . Friday its to be back to freezing again
I hear you, 62F here in Northern VA and 5 days ago it was about 0.  The ice under the top 1" of soil makes any vehicle movement ...challenging.  Now if we get that same rain on Wed it will be time to take a break for a day or two.
Liking Walnut

ehp

been raining hard here for 4 hours or so, we got about 2 feet of frost in the ground so water has no where to go

Old Greenhorn

MAN! I can't think of much of anything that could be more miserable or harder to work with than that. I hope you guys get some relief soon, that's just unworkable.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

luvmexfood

Yep. Today I thought it was dry enough to get through a gate with my p/u on a slight hill side with my trailer behind me. Ah what the heck. I needed to replace that fence post anyway.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

brianJ

What you meant was opportunity to make a wider gate. 

thecfarm

Mats? Your mats look diffeant than the mats around here. I see what you mean about 2-3 ply now. The mats that I see are about a foot through. Use to be hemlock,but I sold some maple for swamp mats. Most time not trucked on. But the power company went through a big expansion with power lines  and they used some mats!!! :o 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Yeah a crane mat to me is a bunch of tie cants drawbarred into a pack of hot dogs. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Right, crane mats are basically cants bolted together.  Timber Mats or Laminated Mats are rough cut 5/4 or something bolted together or nailed together in layers perp to each other.  These sorts of mats are used to make roads.  It's the mat we are buying, about 10 tractor trailer loads will do it I guess.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

How do they interlock the laminated panels?
Praise The Lord

Wudman

Quote from: mike_belben on February 05, 2019, 08:52:45 AM
How do they interlock the laminated panels?
Carriage bolts
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

ehp

now were to get 24 to 26 hours of freezing rain

Brian w

Well here we go again worked Saturday and Monday and now ground is thawed out its going to be 60 degrees today and up to 3 inches of rain coming. 60 degrees in Ohio in February unheard of its suppose to be more around 20.

ehp

in last 12 days here it has rained over freezing rain 7 of those days and real high winds , lots of days around 60 mph or abit more , She is a lake around here right now

Wudman

Well, we are wet once again.  Here are a couple of pictures from the Ramble Road Tract in Halifax County, VA.  It is not often that you see this type of equipment in the Piedmont of Virginia.  The logger has added duals to the front of his feller buncher for added flotation.

This skidder is running on 66x43 inch rubber.  Once again, not something you see often here in the rolling hills.

Our markets are poor.  It's wet.  I'm looking forward to some warmer weather.  I'll eat those words come July.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels

ehp

we just had 4 days of rain, this morning it was freezing rain

Wudman

Should have known better......I was doing recon on a new property last week.  The road system was a bit lacking in maintenance.  In the same line of the "last log of the day" this was the last stop of the day.  I was coming down the hill from the rear of the picture and straddling the ruts.  The front wheels decided to follow the turnout downhill.  I stopped and attempted to back up.....no go.  Couldn't move out of my tracks.  Tried to move forward and could rock it just a tad.  Reverse and dropped solidly into the ruts......bottomed out.  Of course it is 4:00 o'clock on a Friday afternoon and I am 100 miles from home on an unfamiliar property.  Off course there is not a rock to be found.  After about 30 minutes of digging, brushing, and poling I could move a little bit.  Managed to come out forward and then had to get turned around and get back through it.  Why haven't I put the winch on this new pickup?  Such is life.......Maybe I need to install it.  I'm tired of rain. 

Wudman
Charlie Daniels

Ed_K

I am also tired of rain. Every snow storm ends with rain. 2nd to last storm we got 7" after the rain it was 2" last storm 4" and rained down to 1". With 2° this morning the yard is glare ice :(.
Ed K

nativewolf

Quote from: Wudman on February 14, 2020, 09:31:36 AM
Should have known better......I was doing recon on a new property last week.  The road system was a bit lacking in maintenance.  In the same line of the "last log of the day" this was the last stop of the day.  I was coming down the hill from the rear of the picture and straddling the ruts.  The front wheels decided to follow the turnout downhill.  I stopped and attempted to back up.....no go.  Couldn't move out of my tracks.  Tried to move forward and could rock it just a tad.  Reverse and dropped solidly into the ruts......bottomed out.  Of course it is 4:00 o'clock on a Friday afternoon and I am 100 miles from home on an unfamiliar property.  Off course there is not a rock to be found.  After about 30 minutes of digging, brushing, and poling I could move a little bit.  Managed to come out forward and then had to get turned around and get back through it.  Why haven't I put the winch on this new pickup?  Such is life.......Maybe I need to install it.  I'm tired of rain.  

Wudman
I just want to know why you were driving on my skid trails :D
Liking Walnut

Jcald327

We set near record rainfalls across the state last year, this year started off looking like more of the same, a lot of my mobile sites I cant get to, or at least really dont want to.  I'm fighting 3-5 rainy days, and 1 to 2 sunny but muddy days if I'm lucky.  Got logs on the ground all over I cant get to.  I'm more of a tree salvager than a havester, taking onesies and twosies from storm damage or tree services and what not, so my equipment isn't on par with the big stuff you guys are running, but I dont envy those whose livelihood is tied up in the muck.  I don't know that I'm going to risk my own livelihood being tied up in the same here in 4-6 months when I'm forced to make a career change.  
Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Husqvarna 395xp 32, 42 inch
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Lowrider cnc 4x8 capacity
Logrite mega 78 and 60

Brian w

Here it is almost about 2 years since I started this topic, but I'm still fighting the same issue. Rain in southern Ohio you used to know what to expect summer, hot dry, winter , freezing cold and snow. Now it doesn't seem to matter hardly ever gets cold anymore, but seems to always rain. Last summer I seen corn fields, with corn 2 foot tall in July . Then a week later flooded with standing water n corn dieing. My family has been in the logging business for as long as I can remember,but I'm starting to think I'd be better off to just sell out and become a mountain man trapping and living off the land . Wife may not be as happy as I would though.

Thank You Sponsors!