iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is Ironwood?

Started by arojay, May 10, 2009, 02:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arojay

I have heard people talk about Ironwood but don't know if it is a species or if it even exists.  Seems to me that there is a Forum member by that handle, but I'm sure that he isn't what(who) these folks were talking about.  Can anyone shed a little light on Ironwood?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Ironwood

In North America there are numerous trees called "Ironwood", here in the East it is usually the American Hornbeam, which is in the beech family (also goes by musclewood, and several other slang) heavy dense, understory tree (not nearly as dense and substantial as western Desert Ironwood).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

nas

Round here Ironwood is usually Hop-Hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana), but sometimes American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) more commonly called Blue Beech around here.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Ironwood

I have never heard of Eastern Hop Hornbeam called Ironwood, at least not in these parts. It is SOOO different of a tree from the American Hornbeam. Could never be confused. Second pic, the bark is peeled.

Ironwood (Musclewood, Blue Beech, American Hornbeam)

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Chuck White

In this area there is a tree that generally doesn't get very big in diameter.
The bark resembles ash and some refer to it as "iron wood" and some call it "hard hack"!
It has a leaf that resembles elm!
There is also the tree referred to earlier as "blue beach", which is also called "muscle wood"!
I'm thinking that the "iron wood" might be in the Ash family!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ironwood

I believe American Hornbeam peters out (northern boundry) in mid state NY, here in Western PA, it gets 12" and not much bigger. I suppose there are pockets of American Hornbean further north, but never seen it in the Daks, so I am sure it must terminate as around the Lake Onterio area.

Ironwood

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ironwood

SwampDonkey

Quote from: nas on May 10, 2009, 03:53:55 PM
Round here Ironwood is usually Hop-Hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana), but sometimes American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) more commonly called Blue Beech around here.

Quote from: Ironwood on May 10, 2009, 04:04:32 PM
I have never heard of Eastern Hop Hornbeam called Ironwood, at least not in these parts.

Yeah, I know the confusion. But in eastern Canadian forestry schools we call Ostrya virginiana ironwood or eastern hophornbeam. Local old timers and farmers call it hornbeam. Just to be different I suppose, as we also call box elder a Manitoba maple and striped maple is called moosewood. ;D

http://www.unb.ca/courses/for1000/Labs/FLab02.pdf

http://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/subsite/mx-212/ironwood

What we call ironwood here is in the birch family and very young trees can be confused with yellow birch by their bark.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I don't know what tree species it is, but I believe there is also an African tree called ironwood.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

arojay

Thanks for the replies.  Now as to the name, is it hard to work with or is there some other reason for the name?  The chair is a nice looking piece.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

SwampDonkey

I think the name is related to the fact that either is a very dense hardwood for the region they are found. Like up here in Maritimes, O. virginiana is our densest hardwood. It makes great axe handles and sled runners. Mom's uncle make all his tool handles by hand from local ironwood/eastern hop-hornbeam.

It is very shade tolerant and can take over the understory of a hardwood stand used for firewood or sugar bush if beech is not as prominent. American Beech (not blue beech referred to as another ironwood) will also regenerate thick on the same site and kill out maple and yellow birch regen. But, it has to be a prominent component that usually gets cut for firewood. The remaining maple can't regenerate as well in shade as beech, it usually gets a couple feet tall and stagnates if not released. A sugar maple stand is usually like a park underneath until you start doing some harvesting.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nas

I use Eastern Hop Hornbeam to make handle for my tools.  Only have to do it once after the store bought one breaks.  My Uncle makes chess boards and uses it for the white squares.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

woodtroll

Southern Illinois is the same as Swamp Donkey's definition. Hop hornbeam - ironwood, blue beech - muscle wood. Same problem with the hornbeam dominating an understory, just change the maple to oak. Prescribe fire can help some if they are young enough.

Corley5

Eastern Hophornbeam=ironwood in N. Michigan.  Ruffed Grouse bud on them in the winter so they have some value for wildlife.  Hophornbeam firewood is near the top of the charts for BTU content.  Trees up to 16"DBH are around but usually any much over 8" are hollow.  We don't have blue beech/muscle wood up here.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ID4ster

In the southern tier of NY both the American hornbeam (C. caroliniana) and the Eastern hop hornbeam (O. virginiana) are known as ironwood. The eastern hop hornbeam was sometimes referred to as the "wagon axle tree" since some of the stems were straight enough and hard enough to serve as a wagon axle. I know of one guy that was making wooden mauls for timber framing and such out of the eastern hop hornbeam. He would cut a suitable size tree into sections and then bore out an "eye" and put in an axe handle. As the hop hornbeam dried it would tighten up around the handle and make a good mallet. He was doing that to show that trees we consider a "weed" could be put to good use. He also mentioned one time that he sometimes would put a section on a lath and turn it to make a better mallet head. He did say that it had to be turned green though since it was too difficult to turn after it had cured. Why that is so I don't know.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

John Mc

Here in the Champlain Valley foothills of the Green Mountains in Vermont, "Hardhack" seems to be the common term for "Eastern Hophornbeam". It's also referred to as "Ironwood" or "American Hophornbeam. Bark is light brown and in long thin scaly strips or ridges. The bark looks a little "shaggy" (one friend thought it was a small shagbark hickory, until I showed him a real shagbark). Leaves are yellow-green when viewed from above, turn yellow in the fall. It makes excellent firewood. It's unusual to find them more than 6 or 7" DBH around here, though I've seen some up to 10". The "hop" part of it's name refers to the fact that it's fruit clusters resemble the hops used in making beer.

"American Hornbeam" (NOT "hophornbeam") is also referred to as "Blue Beech" or "Water Beech". The bark on this is blue-gray and smooth. Leaves are dull dark blue-green viewed from above. Turns orange/red in fall. It's really a member of the birch family. the name "Blue Beech" probably came about because it's bark resembles beech.

Both are hard, tough wood. Both tend to be smaller, understory trees in hardwood forests. Both are good wildlife food sources (deer, grouse, pheasants, etc.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!