iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New User - New to me saw need help to ID it

Started by KirkD, November 18, 2015, 11:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirkD

I have been absorbing the collective knowledge here for awhile and finally joined. Never sawn a log yet but I found a mill and drug home. I and am trying to figure out if it is home built or a older name brand.

The guy I got it from thought it was a home built copied off of Wood-Mizer. If it was he had a lot of fab tools and time on his hands building it.
I will try to get some better pictures when I get it off my trailer. It came with a 16hp Kohler that had been stored inside.

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, and congratulations/thanks for the pictures.  smiley_thumbsup

A Wood-Mizer clone was my instant guess before I read your narrative.  Following your restoration will be interesting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, KirkD.

The cantiliever design was the giveaway, initially it looked right, to be a Wood-Mizer, but the squared blade housing on the off-side said clone!

No reason it can't be a good mill for you!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

5quarter

Probably a homebrew, but it could also be a really old 'mizer, although the way the saw head is mounted on the mast doesn't look quite right. nice catch.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

KirkD

I read a good tread here about band wheel belts and there seem to be varying opinions on tight vs. lose this has B57's on it and they hang in the pulleys.
Question is how lose is to lose?

The next step after belts will be to determine length and size of blade to use on it.

I will attach some pictures of the belts and the blade guides.

Anyone have an ID on the type of blade guides being used?

Chuck White

The blade belt looks right!

The blade guide rollers look home made, or at least not Wood-Mizer!

Somebody did a lot of homework in designing and building that sawmill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

The blade guide rollers look like something off a shop bandsaw to me.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

KirkD

Quote from: Chuck White on November 19, 2015, 05:24:37 PM

Thanks Chuck, I agree it has some good design behind it. He even did what appears to have used a standard blade size I just measured it @ 13' 2" or 158" and that would be about a 1/2 slack when slipping it on and there is plenty of adjustment to tighten it from there.

muggs

The guides look like carter guides for a vertical bandsaw.   Muggs

KirkD

Quote from: muggs on November 19, 2015, 05:58:07 PM
The guides look like carter guides for a vertical bandsaw.   Muggs

Muggs,

I think you win the cookie on that one. They are cast and I could not quite make out the name in the casting but after you said Carter I went and looked and I am sure that is what it says Carter and maybe 600 below it.

Kirk

redprospector

In the mid 90's I was running an LT30, that was probably sold new in the early to mid 80's. I remember it having guide wheels top and bottom, but I don't recall just what they looked like. That mill wouldn't cut closer than 2" from the bed, so unless you got real creative, every log ended with a full 2x.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

KirkD

Quote from: redprospector on November 19, 2015, 08:29:11 PM
In the mid 90's I was running an LT30, that was probably sold new in the early to mid 80's. I remember it having guide wheels top and bottom, but I don't recall just what they looked like. That mill wouldn't cut closer than 2" from the bed, so unless you got real creative, every log ended with a full 2x.
This one came with a couple of fabricated bed risers that slip over the bed. I bet that is why they made them. It looks like they would raise the bed about 4" or 6"

KirkD

This came with no blades and since the original owner is diseased all I can do is hope I can get some guidance here as to what to start with. I have been looking at pictures online at different blade guides and the ones I have look a lot different. If I measure from the back bearing to the front of the two bearings it is only about 1/2 of depth. If I use a 1 1/4 blade that will leave 3/4" hanging out the front. Thoughts?

Ga Mtn Man

Get some Cook's or Wood-Mizer blade guide assemblies.  Best money you will spend on that mill.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

Quote from: KirkD on November 19, 2015, 05:37:02 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on November 19, 2015, 05:24:37 PM

Thanks Chuck, I agree it has some good design behind it. He even did what appears to have used a standard blade size I just measured it @ 13' 2" or 158" and that would be about a 1/2 slack when slipping it on and there is plenty of adjustment to tighten it from there.

That's what the LT40 uses!  smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!