iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Box store or mail order Fall and spring Fert and Weed killer?

Started by JOE.G, August 16, 2021, 10:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

Hi, I have a country lawn, It has random weed types, Clover, Crabgrass,Plantain, Dandelions and other stuff. My local feed and garden stores don't really carry much for home owners besides your basic name brand stuff scotts and what not.
What is the best and what type should I use for fall and the spring to help me deal with these things?
How many 50 Lb bags should I use on 2 Acres of lawn?
I did lime the lawn this year and I have used a scotts weed and feed in the spring.
Th lawn is a mixture of grass types, KBG,Fesscues and other standard grass mix types.
Thank you
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

mike_belben

Its funny how we label the best forages as pests in a lawn. 

You could spot spray them in glyphosate a few times i guess.  Co-op, tractor supply etc. 
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

What would happen if you were to spot spray them with plain old diesel fuel? I've threatened to "mow" our lawn chemically like that but I just get these nasty looks from my wife every time I mentioned it. Did I say that I HATE mowing our little lawn, even if it's only 1/3acre that I have to mow with a push mower, I still hate it  :(
Trying harder everyday.

21incher

Quote from: Tacotodd on August 16, 2021, 11:52:40 PM
What would happen if you were to spot spray them with plain old diesel fuel?

Do that in NY and you could wind up replacing  the whole lawn for hundreds of thousands of dollars,  pay a fine, and wind up in jail after the DEC visits because a neighbor gets a whiff. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Nebraska

Trimec or weed be gone concentrate in a spot srayer right before a freeze, or probably before  the fourth of July. Then your standard fall fertilizer.   Glyphosate will give up dead spots on anything that gets a bit of  overspray.  I avoid the home owner products  that continue paraquat. 
I don't spray much up around the house mostly just bind weed and white clover patches.

Tom King

Look at the ingredients on the name brands.  Then go buy the same chemical at Tractor Supply, without the brand name.  Don't know about granules though. I spray.

It doesn't take much of a solution of 2,4,D to kill Dandelions, and Plaintain.  You can dilute it a lot more than the directions say, and it won't hurt regular grass.

JOE.G

I have a few good sprayers,
I use
» RM43™ HERBICIDE
www.raganandmassey.com
Sedgehammer
Bonide Sedge ender, Weed Beater and Kleen Up
I am looking for something i can put in my spreader and do general clean up and not kill everything it touches.

The Ones geared toward Sedge I can spray and not harm the other grass but the others will kill everything.
I know I am not going to spread something and have everything I want gone in one application, But I would like to control it.

Would 2,4,D and Glyphosate kill the regular grass?
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Nebraska

mike_belben

if its just a few here and theres, a short mow and then hitting the offender with a bottle torch to the base for 5 seconds or so will kill it pretty effectively for the season to let the surrounding grass take over.  back when i cared that was a pretty common weed control of mine around new gravel i wanted to keep pretty. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Those "weeds" are growing there because your soil won't grow grass. They are trying to fix the issue for you. If you kill them and do nothing to deal with the underlying issue, compaction/poor fertility/poor soil then likely something worse, not better will replace it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!