iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mystery tree.

Started by Ianab, November 20, 2018, 05:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Any ideas on this one? It's a small tree, maybe 20 ft tall, with long weeping branches, and has these bright pink flowers. It's deciduous, and certainly not from NZ, and has me a bit stumped.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DelawhereJoe

Kinda reminds me of an oak leaf hydrangea but those have 4 pedals and the flowers mostly form in a cone shape.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ianab

Finally got an ID on this one. Friends neighbour was there and knew what it was. 
It's an ornamental variety of Hawthorn. Pics on the wikipedia page show the exact same flowers. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crataegus
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bluthum

Crataegus is a big group. IIrc there are over 60 species native to the state I like in alone and they are 

mostly hard to key to species. Mostly a small shrub.  

Texas Ranger

Quote from: bluthum on March 01, 2020, 03:12:35 PM
Crataegus is a big group. IIrc there are over 60 species native to the state I like in alone and they are

mostly hard to key to species. Mostly a small shrub.  
If you have enough biologist you will have more, Texas lists some 1600.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

They intergrade/hybridize so readily that they are difficult to positively ID.  They resist pigeon-holing. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

That does look a lot like one that we started planting up here, C. virginiana(?), the cultivar is Crimson Cloud. Notable, as I understand it, for having red/pink blossoms instead of just white.

Turns out the problems with Cratageous are not new. Here is an article from 1942 talking about the same issue:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4031103?seq=1
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!