iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What causes this in maple?

Started by PartTimeJack, December 17, 2019, 10:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PartTimeJack

Heard it's beetles, or worms of some kind, that cause these black streaks. Is that correct, and is there still any lumber value in it with the black streaks?

Just a Farmer learnin to be a Jack.

Don P

Ambrosia beetle most likely. I like it.

low_48

If woodturners weren't such cheap skates, Ambrosia Maple would have high value. They love to turn it, hate to pay for it. But in a log that size, maybe it would be worth a shot to look some up.

WDH

The streaks are caused by the trees reaction to being attacked by the ambrosia beetle.  Hence, the name, ambrosia maple.  It can be strikingly beautiful wood. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

Danny, 

Do you know the scientific name of the Ambrosia beetle? 

I've previously attempted to research them, but have not learned much. 

Dan 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

realzed

PartTimeJack

Very interesting, Thank you for the replies. 

Got about 6 logs of this size with the marking. Diffidently going to look for a buyer, or may have it milled my self.
Just a Farmer learnin to be a Jack.

samandothers

I really like the affect the beetles leave.  I would think you would want to keep it or sale for good money.  

Clark

Quote from: low_48 on December 17, 2019, 11:33:16 PM
If woodturners weren't such cheap skates...
I thought that was just the wood turners around here!
Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!