iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill videos

Started by Bibbyman, July 20, 2011, 03:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HItx-KFol2g

I've added another video to our YouTube chanel.

This one is a "walkthrough" that explains our workflow and gives some details of our equipment.  This one is a little less than 10 minutes long so you may want to get your coffee before you fire it up.

If you've got sawmill videos (or see neat ones),  it's be nice to link them here so we start a collection.

Jeff has recently added a place on our profile to insert the link to a YouTube channel.  You may notice I have a YouTube icon under my avatar.  If you have a YouTube channel,  you can edit your profile to add this link.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

GAmillworker

Thanks for sharing the video.

Have injoyed reading alot of your posts.

What did the baker infeed set you back if you dont mind letting me know.

Not sure if that is somthing I want to try and build or just buy.

Thanks,

Daniel
Thank the Lord for second chances

inspectorwoody

Nice video Bib.  :)

Nice setup too.

Bibbyman

Quote from: GAmillworker on July 20, 2011, 07:02:37 PM
Thanks for sharing the video.

Have injoyed reading alot of your posts.

What did the baker infeed set you back if you dont mind letting me know.

Not sure if that is somthing I want to try and build or just buy.

Thanks,

Daniel

We got ours 5-6 years go.  I don't know what the price would be now.  Best to  talk with them.  There are probably a lot of used decks out there now.
Sawing since '94

Jemclimber

Thanks for taking the time to post. Really enjoy seeing your videos and learning from your posts.
lt15

wesdor

Great videos with lots of information

When I go to YouTube and search for Bibbyoldman it doesn't give me any results.  Also when I search for sawmill June it comes up empty

Can you help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to create the videos and sharing them

GAmillworker

Wesdor

Just click on the you tube link under Bibbyman's picture in his post.
Thank the Lord for second chances

Bibbyman

Yea,  I just wanted to be "Bibbyman" but I guess someone done took it.  ::)
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Quote from: wesdor on July 21, 2011, 12:39:43 PM
When I go to YouTube and search for Bibbyoldman it doesn't give me any results.  Also when I search for sawmill June it comes up empty

That search in YouTube works for me. Are you logged in when searching?

The icon works here as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Thanks for the video, Bibbyman.

Thanks for the youtube button, Jeff.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJEWiQYigg0

I really like this one.  Should I say two for one?   ;)
Sawing since '94

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 21, 2011, 01:40:01 PM
Yea,  I just wanted to be "Bibbyman" but I guess someone done took it.  ::)

I wanted to have the matching handle of Mooseherder on YouTube but someone already had it wrapped up. ::)

Dirtbags. :D

carykong

Bibbyman,

Enjoyed the tour of your operation.  Do you hire extra help for the big production jobs?

Bibbyman

Quote from: carykong on July 22, 2011, 12:08:11 AM
Bibbyman,

Enjoyed the tour of your operation.  Do you hire extra help for the big production jobs?

No...   Most everything we do is our size and speed or we don't do it.
Sawing since '94

Mooney

Here's a few tips on making good videos from a former video business owner ;-) Bibbyman asked me to chime in, since there's about as much to know about making good videos as there is to sawing good lumber!

Here's some tips/ideas for beginners:
   -Use a tripod if you can. Steady video is good video!
   -Zoom and pan (move) slower than you think you should. Your audience will thank you ;-)
   -If you do do handheld video, hold the camera steady, relax your body, and only slowly move the camera. Edit out shaky/jerky stuff with your editing software. Bibbyman does a good job of keeping handheld watchable!
   -Upload your video at the highest quality your camera/computer/internet connection can manage. A high quality video is much more enjoyable to watch than a fuzzy one.
   -You can insert photos, narration, music with most free video editors (movie maker, imovie, etc).
   -Go easy on the fancy transitions ;-) A simple cut from shot to shot is the best way to go. A crossfade can be a nice touch. Page turn transitions are sooo '90s... ;-)
   -There are tools that you can turn down the volume of a video, and use music or narration as the principle sound you hear. If your video calls for it, do it! If you use copyprotected music, YouTube can disable the music altogether, or remove your video, so watch out for that.
   -When uploading your video to YouTube, give it a descriptive name, a full description, and put in as many tags as you can think of (tags are words associated with your video, that help people find it when they're searching). Here's some sample tags to help people find your video: custom sawyer sawing logs lumber Warden sawmill Wood-Mizer LT40 Sacramento Amador county, etc (Yes, I just made up a bunch...;-).

There's a few things important to remember when just starting out. If you have any questions, technical or basic, send me a message! I enjoy adding many of your videos to our Sawyer playlist section on our YouTube channel, and good quality videos are always good to add!

Here are a couple online resources for learning more about making good videos. VideoMaker is a tremendous resource, and if you have any interest in doing a little video as a fun hobby, subscribe to their magazine!

Great video on how to film good videos. Take some stuff with a grain of salt ;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zFePU1uvtc

http://gogirlguides.com/03/featured/travel-videos-tips-for-the-beginning-videographer/ - a girly blog, but great basic information on making a good, entertaining video.

http://www.videomaker.com - the ultimate place to learn everything you need for making good videos. Great community forum, and a very inexpensive monthly magazine that I just devour everytime it hits the mailbox!

http://www.drostdesigns.com/how-to-make-a-simple-video/ - Another walkthrough of how to shoot and market a video.

Bibbyman

Lots of good info!  Thanks for bringing it to us.

I do take major issue with one main point made by the guy in the video.  That is that scenes should be broken up in short segments of a few seconds like in the commercials.   I HATE THAT!  It annoys me to no end and I get to feeling like I'm watching a strobe light show.   I probably need to insert some still photos of some detail items but I don't want to cut, cut, cut from scene to scene. 

He asserted that you need to buy the highest price equipment you can afford, including a lot of support equipment.   Well,  I've got a Sony HandyCam – one of the high-end models with a lot of fixed internal memory and sans-disk card slot.  That's more than I could afford.  I think quite useful videos can be made with far less expensive equipment than he showed – at least for most of our forestry videos.

Tripod.  Good idea.  One problem I have with the HandyCam is that it's so small and light I have a hard time holding it in my big, clumsy paw.   I was thinking more of mounting it on a brick or something just to give it a heavy base.  But then I figured I'd drop it and it'd land camera side down. 

Last spring we attended our oldest granddaughter's 8'th grade graduation.  Everyone had a camera of some sorts.  Some were just using cell phones.  We were a good bit back so I could see what they were recording and most looked to be acceptable video under the circumstances – gymnasium and poor light.   I did note one person had their camera mounted on what looked to be a walking stick.   I guess it was a mono-pod or something.  Seems like that would be ideal for shooting video at an event like a forestry show.  I guess it would telescope to be used standing or seated.

I'll have to figure out a way to narrate over the video I shot.  I'm not real worried about adding music.   I have figured out how to insert pictures but most all my pictures are on another PC from where I'm editing my videos.  My HandyCam does take still photos too so maybe I can plan to take still pictures when I shoot the raw video.
Sawing since '94

sdunston

Quote from: Mooney on July 22, 2011, 12:13:17 PM
Here's a few tips on making good videos from a former video business owner ;-) Bibbyman asked me to chime in, since there's about as much to know about making good videos as there is to sawing good lumber!

Here's some tips/ideas for beginners:
   -Use a tripod if you can. Steady video is good video!
   -Zoom and pan (move) slower than you think you should. Your audience will thank you ;-)
   -If you do do handheld video, hold the camera steady, relax your body, and only slowly move the camera. Edit out shaky/jerky stuff with your editing software. Bibbyman does a good job of keeping handheld watchable!
   -Upload your video at the highest quality your camera/computer/internet connection can manage. A high quality video is much more enjoyable to watch than a fuzzy one.
   -You can insert photos, narration, music with most free video editors (movie maker, imovie, etc).
   -Go easy on the fancy transitions ;-) A simple cut from shot to shot is the best way to go. A crossfade can be a nice touch. Page turn transitions are sooo '90s... ;-)
   -There are tools that you can turn down the volume of a video, and use music or narration as the principle sound you hear. If your video calls for it, do it! If you use copyprotected music, YouTube can disable the music altogether, or remove your video, so watch out for that.
   -When uploading your video to YouTube, give it a descriptive name, a full description, and put in as many tags as you can think of (tags are words associated with your video, that help people find it when they're searching). Here's some sample tags to help people find your video: custom sawyer sawing logs lumber Warden sawmill Wood-Mizer LT40 Sacramento Amador county, etc (Yes, I just made up a bunch...;-).

There's a few things important to remember when just starting out. If you have any questions, technical or basic, send me a message! I enjoy adding many of your videos to our Sawyer playlist section on our YouTube channel, and good quality videos are always good to add!

Here are a couple online resources for learning more about making good videos. VideoMaker is a tremendous resource, and if you have any interest in doing a little video as a fun hobby, subscribe to their magazine!

What WM blade would one use to cut a videocamera into 5/4 stock.........Now there would be a great youtube post LOL

thanx   Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Mooney

We've had a few discussions about what it would be fun to cut up around here ;-) But that information is classified  ;D

@Bibbyman: Yeah, that guy was speaking more to a audience getting into video to make money, that's for sure.  He gave a pretty good overview of what goes into the videomaking process, but not all of it will apply to the videos we post for eachother on here.

AvT

Awsome videos.  I wish I would have been able to find videos like that when I was researching sawmills.  All i could find in my searches was the manufacturers promo videos.  Probably because of the tags they were using.  Here is an example of the tags woodmizer would use for their LT 40 video:

portable sawmills lumbermill woodmizer wood-mizer blades bandsaw lt40 Superhydraulic timberking baker hudson super logs timber sawing

Notice them using the competitors names in there.  If you wanted to get more hits and people researching bandmills i think a long written description and tags like the ones above would help.  I even saw a video showing some kind of industrial equipment with a tag " Britney Spears"  I think the video had a lot of views but I think that is going a bit far.

If you go viral you could get a google adsense account and make some money with it.   I have a relative that made many many millions with adsense.  It wasn't with videos though.  But the adsense thing is so easy to set up he thought he would try and he suddenly started to get checks in the mail.

Anyway, just a thought as I like to research everything on youtube and am usually frustrated because some of the best stuff is not all that searchable
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Mooney

@AvT: I think you're on to us  ;)

Excellent comments! Using good tags and descriptions is something often overlooked. I've been adding videos to our 'Owner Videos' Playlist on our YouTube channel for a while, and I'm always finding more videos that I've never seen just because there isn't much of a description or tags. We're putting this playlist together so that hopefully people will be able to find them easier.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Mooney on July 25, 2011, 09:52:01 AM
@AvT: I think you're on to us  ;)

Excellent comments! Using good tags and descriptions is something often overlooked. I've been adding videos to our 'Owner Videos' Playlist on our YouTube channel for a while, and I'm always finding more videos that I've never seen just because there isn't much of a description or tags. We're putting this playlist together so that hopefully people will be able to find them easier.

I probably need to go back and review the tags and comments issue. 
Sawing since '94

Magicman

We are already reviewing them.    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Always contrary should have been my screen name instead of Larry.

Adding a bunch of keywords and descriptors to a video means you're a performer or wanting to sell something.  Neither are bad but do cast a bit of suspicion on why the video was made.  This coming from a person who loves to hide keywords in picture html and other places to peddle his eBay junk.

The video I posted here a few days ago is unlisted...the only way it can be found is from my post on the FF (I think).  It doesn't even show up on my channel page.  I would like to see Jeff make a repository for all video's with no other posts allowed. Come to the Forestry Forum to see sawmill video's.  Might help support the forum.  This thread is a great idea to post video's but in 6 months there will be 10 video's and 89 posts about food.  Again not that bad of idea but I like to eat and watch video's....just not at the same time.

I really like the video's Bibbyman has recently posted.  I've watched all of em and a couple three times.  I sure would like to see more...yea I know I need to do my part also.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

AvT

I think I have do disagree with you Larry.  When I was looking around in youtube at all the different bandmills and features i'm sure I even searched for videos on the TK2000 setworks.  Had i come across videos like yours or Bibbys, I woulda said to myself " how cool is this, these tech savy pioneers makin videos for us dummys benifit for no reason other than they get some kind of pleasure out of it"  and if you made $0.10 or $0.15 of of me watching your video i don't think I would have held it against you.

My hats off to mooney as well.  His contribution is phenominal here.  I can now take his knowledge he shared with me here about making videos and promoting them and go make a top notch Timberking video and I don't think he would hold that against me.  he might not post it to his facebook though,,, haha.  Thanks mooney for participating in this forum.  We can tell you stand behind your product because you truely believe in it.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Thank You Sponsors!