iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adapting to atv firewood work...

Started by upnut, January 10, 2019, 08:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

Ran across a picture from six years ago of my original firewood rig, was reminded of the improvements and adaptations mostly gleaned from following this website. Thanks to Jeff and the crew for keeping it going! Here is the original atv rig:

Have since upgraded from Yamaha Big Bear 350 2WD to a Grizzly 350 4WD, upgraded from Stihl 025 to Stihl 241CM, upgraded from smallest cheapest atv winch to a 3500lb UTV winch, went from steel cable to synthetic rope on the winch which was a huge improvement, fabricated a logging type choker chain to replace the slip hook chain, replaced light weight motorcycle tie down straps and light chains with heavy duty nylon choker slings and chains along with a stout clevis for anchoring the front of the rig. My son drew up plans while in college for what I call the hot rod trailer which replaced the original trailer, and we end up with this rig...

Many thanks to everyone here for inspiration!
Scott B.

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Old Greenhorn

Nice setup. It is a learning/growth process isn't it? Here's my little rig. It's come a long way in a year and a half or so.  Since this was taken last March I added an electric winch to the skidding arch to pull the logs in easier. I skid to the splitter and buck and split there, then load it out in the dump body to the pile at the house. Handy little beasts.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

My start was a Sears Craftsman garden tractor towing a Rubbermaid garden cart. The big upgrade was putting larger tires with ag-style tread on the rear. The hydrostatic transmission on that glorified lawnmower was not up to the task. I got my tractor after about six months of beating that lawnmower to death.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

upnut

Quote from: John Mc on January 10, 2019, 09:23:55 PM
My start was a Sears Craftsman garden tractor towing a Rubbermaid garden cart. The big upgrade was putting larger tires with ag-style tread on the rear. The hydrostatic transmission on that glorified lawnmower was not up to the task. I got my tractor after about six months of beating that lawnmower to death.
My start was a hand-crank B Allis Chalmers, followed by an H Farmall, a home made doodlebug, various pickup trucks and a jeep. Mostly by brute force and awkwardness. I now have a "lower lumbar rule"....If it's too big for a 16" bar and an ATV, it's someone else's firewood... ;)...still do ok

Scott B.

Allar

Wish i had atv...would make my life so much easier  >:(
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

samandothers

hedgerow

Upnut
I couldn't agree more as I get older I hate dealing with big wood and I have the equipment. I have a skid loader and a log lift on my splitter. I had some locust logs hanging around {36 inch to 48 inch dia} that came out of a area in my pasture a couple years ago. After harvest this last year we were finishing up the smaller logs that had come out of that area and my two helpers that are old guys too said well the time has come to get that pile bucked up and split. It made some nice wood but by the time those four days were done I had wished I would have pushed those threes in the burn pile and not dealt with them.  

TKehl

I agree.  Cutting is less work than splitting.  Even with a hydraulic splitter.  My firebox door is 12x12".  "If it fits it ships."  LOL  I burn a lot of larger rounds!

I don't mind splitting in halves or quarters.  Bigger than that should go on the sawmill anyway.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

[Them]  whatta ya gonna do with all them little limbs mike?

[Me] not kill myself splitting them!
Praise The Lord

upnut

Quote from: mike_belben on January 17, 2019, 03:02:36 PM
[Them]  whatta ya gonna do with all them little limbs mike?

[Me] not kill myself splitting them!
That's the other end of my spectrum...Don't want to pack a four-ten to chase angry crows off their nesting material... :D...

Scott B.

mike_belben

Our 2 most problematic critters are both snakes.  Thats copperheads and pillheads.   12g works on either type. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!