iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Acorn Crop

Started by Magicman, August 30, 2018, 05:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

If this is an indication we will be dealing with a massive Acorn crop this year.

This limb fell out of the tree yesterday evening.  As heavy as it was it's no wonder that it broke.   :o  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

Haven't noticed here. My good oak fell over this past winter(the reason I made it here), and my pin oak never held my interest. I have some other young oaks that sprouted up, but they're too young for acorns.

I'll get more time in the woods when decent weather gets here. I pretty much hole up in the house in summer. I get enough hot 'outside time' at work.

Southside

The red oaks are heavy laden here too.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

MM, cherrybark, cherrybark!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No @WDH, I thought so until I started dragging the limb off.

No bell clapper on the leaf tip.

And sharp tips so I am going to have to call Shumard.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Red oak acorns are very plentiful around here. They are falling.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

You fellas down south sho' 'nuff have a lot of oak species. Locally, we have northern red, and bur oak. Also isolated pockets of northern pin oak. Most folks think we just have one species- "oak"🙃😁.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

There are 36 different Oaks in Mississippi, 5 Ashes, 10 Conifers, 5 Elms, 12 Hickories, and 6 Maples.  By golly dat has gots to be da making of ah Country Song.  :P

barbender

When WDH and Magic gets to talkin' oaks, it reminds me of Bubba and Forrest talkin' shrimps.😂 "Red oaks, water oaks, live oaks, chinkipin oaks, shumard oaks..."😁

barbender

"There's 36 oaks in Mississippi, and 12 Hickories in Alabam'. With a pecan on and a 4 degree, Mr. Magic is who I am." Doo dee doo doo dee dee🎶🎶😁😁

Chuck White

Wish I could get some more White Oak acorns to plant!

Got some a few years back, some of them grew!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

The leaves are wrong for shumard.  The two-toned leaf, with a distinctly different color on top versus on bottom is a distinctive characteristic of cherrybark oak.  Your leaves are decidedly two-toned.  The acorn cups look a little deep for shumard but a little shallow for cherrybark.  Like somewhere in between.  Would not surprise me if your tree was a hybrid as hybridization is not uncommon in closely related red oaks.  These two trees are found on the same sites.

Was the bark on the lower stem silver streaked or generally one color without silver streaking?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Good pecan and acorn crop in south East Texas.  My area, anyway.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

Looks like we are having a good year here this year too. I was waiting at the bus stop for my 2 youngest granddaughters under a Chestnut oak and they were dropping steadily. I got the girls to pick up a couple of gallons which I will put out around my deer feeders.

They are all over 3/4" long and preferred deer food.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

@WDH, This tree has close and very shallow bark ridges much unlike the surrounding Cherrybark trees.

The bark is also much lighter in color.

WDH

Those horizontal bands of lighter color are a characteristic of southern red oak and cherrybark oak.

Some reference. Cherrybark Oak (Quercus pagoda). One of the Finest Red Oaks. in Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

I still believe that what you have is cherrybark oak  :)

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on August 31, 2018, 08:20:42 PM
Those horizontal bands of lighter color are a characteristic of southern red oak and cherrybark oak.

I still believe that what you have is cherrybark oak  :).  

Looks like to me.  smiley_wavy

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I first thought Cherrybark but the pointy leaf tips threw me off.  The Cherrybark standing next to it exhibits the deeper and wider bark ridges that I am accustomed to seeing.  The ridges on this tree are not much deeper than a Hickory.  Anyway it is loaded with acorns.  I just hope that the trees on my property are producing a heavy crop.

It would also be good to see some Pecans.

Corley5

Heavy mast crops mean a hard winter ;) ;D :)  Our area has heavy apple crops, acorns and the blackberries were really good until they dried up with the drought which is now over.  The white oak in the yard at the farm has acorns this year.  I haven't seen any on it in several years.  The black walnuts have a good load on them too. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!