iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lube dripping vs wicks

Started by Cruiser_79, June 14, 2020, 05:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser_79

On my mebor there isn't a lube tank or dripping hose to the blade. In between the wheels there is a tiny reservoir with a kind of wick against the driven wheel. When I add water it leaks that much that it is empty within seconds. I can make a new kind of wick/sponge but was wondering or a lube tank with dripping gauge will be better. Now I am milling silver pine and the blade is pitching quite a lot and starts making wavy cuts while the band is sharp as new. After the loads of silver pine it will be most oak, poplar, beech and Douglas fir on the mill. Is lube necessary for leaf trees or will water be enough to cool down the blade?

Nebraska

I think you would like a drip tank set up once you fashioned it. A small plastic fuel container works well. As what to run in it I use a very  slow drip of diesel fuel and get along well. There are so many other choices that folks use I won't begin to trying to list. I think a drip set up will be better in preventing pitch buildup just due to the fluid volume you can put out if needed.

kelLOGg

I prefer the wipe system because I think it gives a more uniform fluid distribution over the blade than a drip. I have never used a drip and I assume there would be some splash that would waste the lubricant. My wipe is controlled by a solenoid and needle valve so I can really pour it on if needed.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Cruiser_79

Quote from: kelLOGg on June 14, 2020, 12:56:23 PM
I prefer the wipe system because I think it gives a more uniform fluid distribution over the blade than a drip. I have never used a drip and I assume there would be some splash that would waste the lubricant. My wipe is controlled by a solenoid and needle valve so I can really pour it on if needed.
Okay, sounds good as well. 
But the wick is installed directly at the blade at your machine? At my mill the wick is installed at the wheel. I will make some pictures later on this week.

kelLOGg

My wick(s) are between the roller bearings and the drive wheel. The blade passes thru 2 wicks to wipe both sides. It probably is overkill but I had my reasons at the time.

Here's more:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=58022.msg843717#msg843717
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DDW_OR

Quote from: kelLOGg on June 14, 2020, 12:56:23 PM
i really like the solenoid and needle valve.
I plan to attach the control wire for the solenoid to the blade engage switch
"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

Multitek 1610EZ firewood processor

12v pump

"let the machines do the work"

Cruiser_79

This is the small reservoir between the band wheels. There is a wick placed against the wheel. It smells like the reservoir was filled with oil/diesel (and a lot of sawdust...)

And behind the blade guide there is a wick as well. Maybe I can add a hose for lube above this wick

Ow 

Thank You Sponsors!