iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cut used to remove hung trees

Started by murphy4trees, August 12, 2013, 09:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murphy4trees

This is very effective and a lot safer than it looks... doesn't do much for those interested in milling, but a good method to know..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0j69NCIKfw

http://youtu.be/eUQ1p2QPdxU

http://youtu.be/Qwdcr9mWbmg

grweldon

Wow.  Looks pretty scary to me.  I'm also shocked to see "professionals" working without chaps.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

BradMarks

Man oh man, unbelievable!.  Just my opinion but pretty sure keep taking video and you'll record someone getting hurt.  Didn't watch but some of the first video, didn't need to see the others.  That chain was so dull, amazing his exposure time.  And when it did cut loose it plunged right back into the ground, more vertical than beginning.  And then do it all over again.  I've freed up many a hung up tree, never that dangerous.

mesquite buckeye

Notice the widowmaker dropping out of the top when the tree moves. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dave Shepard

Ol' Murph has been making "How not to do it" videos for years now. No need to get too worked up over him.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Also wasting what looks to be a really, nice, clean log in the process. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

I cut "mini logs" for about 6 months when I was 19. I had no previous experience with hung trees and this is the method I used. It isnt the correct method and it is also dangerous. With mini logs the trees were around 8-9" diameter and sometimes as you would take logs off the bottom the top of the tree would just hang in the larger trees vertically. Then you dont know which way they will go. Now I use a chain and equiptment to drag them down. If not, I leave them and check them after the next storm we get. 90% of the time thats all they take. It did look like a waste of logs.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Once the tree is free of the stump a good heavy duty come along will move it. A lot safer.

SPIKER

I agree with a lot of the others, waste of great looking larger logs. 

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Kevin

This method does work and works well as I've used it in an urban environment but the cuts I use are much closer to the ground and the top of the tree is rigged into another to control it and lay it on the ground.

Ljohnsaw

I'm no expert, but on that last video, I would have tied to the top and winched the tree out of the others.  When it would fall, it would have taken the roots up and out as well - saving some labor there.  IMO  It also looked like he almost lost a foot on the previous video!  That wood came down fast and towards him.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kevin

You can't do that when there is a chance the tree can fall on a building.
You would require at least two guy lines and a clear path (no other trees to catch the guys) to the lay so it becomes safe and much quicker to rig the top and bring it straight down cutting pieces off the bottom until it can be brought down to the ground.
The tree in the video was cut too high up in my opinion increasing the risk of the faller getting hurt.
The cut itself works good.
Keep in mind this is an urban environment.

clairmont

hey,for some reasons this guy scares me!

LittleJohn

Last time we took out "yard" trees wher at my dad's house 4 very nice 50' to 70' Norway Pine (or white pine) can't remember.  Dad climbed the tree. and attached a winch line about 30' up; then we proceeded to dig and cut roots.  Once we would get a decent amount of roots cut, we would fire up the winch and give the tree a little pull.  Generally a little more digging and WHAM whole tree is on the gorund and a hug root ball was out.

Went well until the last tree, closest to house; winch cable at 30', then dad cuts the tree off at about 16', everythign is good untill we start digging out the stump.  We dig and dig and dig, with the lack of leverage 16' versus 30' plus addition weight of tree alot more work to get that stump out.

But man were they nice trees, for yard tree; probably 15'+ to first branch

Thank You Sponsors!