Sponsors:

Don't limb for faster drying

Started by jwillett2009, June 21, 2012, 09:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddstopper

QuoteAmerican red oak (Quercus spp.)
Other names: Northern red oak, Southern red oak

Distribution
Widespread throughout Eastern USA. The oaks are by far the largest species group growing in the Eastern hardwood forests. Red oaks grow more abundantly than the white oaks. The red oak group comprises many species, of which about eight are commercial.

General description
The sapwood of red oak is white to light brown and the heartwood is a pinkish reddish brown. The wood is similar in general appearance to white oak, but with a slightly less pronounced figure due to the smaller rays. The wood is mostly straight grained, with a coarse texture. The red oak tree gets its name because of the colour of the leaves in the 'fall' (Autumn).

Working properties
Red oak machines well, nailing and screwing is good although pre-boring is recommended, and it can be stained and polished to a good finish. It dries slowly with a tendency to split and warp. It has a high shrinkage and can be susceptible to movement in performance.

Machining 
Nailing 
Screwing 
Gluing 
Finishing 

Physical properties
The wood is hard and heavy, with medium bending strength and stiffness and high crushing strength. It is very good for steam bending. Southern red oak has a more rapid growth than Northern red oak and tends to be harder and heavier.

Specific Gravity: a) 0.63 (12% M.C.) b) 0.68
Average Weight: a) 705 kg/m3 (12% M.C.) b) 753 kg/m3
Average Volumetric Shrinkage: a) 10.8 (Green to 6% M.C.) b) N/A
Modulus of Elasticity: a) 12,549 MPa b) 15,721 MPa
Hardness: a) 5738 N b) 6583 N
a) Quercus rubra (Northern red oak)
b) Quercus falcata (Southern red oak)

Durability
Rated slightly to non-resistant to heartwood decay, moderately easy to treat with preservatives.

Availability
USA: Abundant. Most widely used species.
Export: Good availability as lumber and veneer, but less than white oak. Red oak is often classified according to growing regions and marketed as Northern red oak, and Southern red oak.
And
QuoteThe northern red oak is one of the most important oaks for timber production in North America. The wood is of high value. Other related oaks are also cut and marketed as red oak, although their wood is not always of as high a quality. These include eastern black oak, scarlet oak, pin oak, Shumard oak, southern red oak and other species in the red oak group. Construction uses include flooring, veneer, interior trim, and furniture.

Red oak wood grain is so open that smoke can be blown through it from end-grain to end-grain on a flat-sawn board. For this reason, it is subject to moisture infiltration and is unsuitable for outdoor uses such as boatbuilding or exterior trim

Note the durability rateing of slightly to non resistant to heartwood decay.Also the open grain that allows moisture infiltration.

I believe most wood if kept saturated with water, will create an anerobic atomosphere that allows decaying microbes to close their pores, will last longer. Evidenced by all the quality timber that is being pulled from the bottom of lakes and swamps and sawn for their lumber. The open grain of the red oaks could be such an example of this, the wood acting as a sponge to soak up as much moisture as the wood can hold.  I'm just grasping at straws here and openly stateing my opinons, and dont feel strongly enough about the subject to start doing a googlefest of research to back up anything I have said, so take my statements for what they are worth, just my opinions only. 

Al_Smith

Although not mentioned and only speculation on my part it could possibley be that certain enzymes and bacteria  cause a more rapid rotting situation .

It might be such a situation that what could be present in the Smokey Mountains might not be present in the vast farm country of north western  Ohio .

Another factor that might have something to do with it is this portion of Ohio was once known as the great black swamp .Nearly as vast at one time as the swamp lands of Lousiana minus the alligators .

It could possibley be that certain sub species within species could have genetically passed on certain traits regionally . That of course is speculation because what I know about plant bioligy would barely fill a shot glass if all info on the subject would overflow the Atlantic ocean .

Al_Smith

A little tip on that red oak firewood or any firewood .The smaller you split it the faster it dries .

For me it's not a big deal. I can let it dry 3-4 years if I have to because I've got so much .For others it could be a problem .

stumper

I am in hopes of not burning any of the oak in the upcoming heating season.  I needed 3 additional cord for this winter and bought an 8 cord load.  So I have been slinging the logs to the tractor bucket and carriing the oak to one spot and blocking it and all the other to the shed and blocking it there.  If I have more then 5 cords of oak (or less then 3 cords of other)  I'll either find time to cut some additional off my land or price some of my tree removal jobs such that I am more likely to get the wood. 

Just the Saturday I priced a job where I am cutting 4 trees but only removing the wood of two trees (one pick up load $50.00 for removal), so there is 1/3 to 1/2 cord I can work up for this winter as needed and could double the amount I remove and give the home owners a bonus if needed.

Thank You Sponsors!