iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood Customer Service/Tech Support

Started by kevin5055, April 20, 2021, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin5055

I placed an order for a different brand sawmill a few weeks ago, but after further thought, I don't want to wait 7 months to start sawing. As a result, I have been looking at other sawmills am strongly considering buying a Norwood instead. However, I can't seem to get ahold of anyone to place an order, answer a few questions, or confirm lead times.  

I understand the huge influx of interest/orders, so I guess I'm looking for how their support is under "normal" demand? I'm really trying to not let the issues I encountered thus far leave a bad taste in my mouth.  

Jeff

I can tell you right now, in this state of the world, it is entirely unfair to judge any company, any person or anything on current performance or circumstance. Period.  I will also tell you if I thought a sponsor company did not do right by our members, they would not be a sponsor. SO, any of our sponsor companies would be an excellent choice and if you think you are going to get a new mill faster anywhere, good luck on that...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kevin5055

Thank you Jeff.  I intentionally didn't list out my issues for that reason, and was just looking for confirmation of their support level outside of the current state of affairs throughout the world which I don't think is an unreasonable question to ask.

wbrent

I have a Norwood LM -29 going on 3 years now. For someone who just saws for fun, friends and family I've used the mill a lot. Mine is stationary. My biggest beef is I find I have to regularly re level the whole bed. As in several times per year. Especially during a change in season. Like now. As for customer service. I think it could be better. Sure they get a bit of a pass during covid, but it was only so so at the best of times. Tried calling all last week and couldnt get through too. The website looks good, but I cant seem to be able to order anything through it. That may be just me. Not great on the computer. The forum they have used to be pretty good but now it has been taken over by spammers. Every thread has been infiltrated. Drives me nuts. I think they have good products, but a bump in customer service would go a long ways in helping their business. Im on the Canadian side.

kevin5055

Thanks for the insight!

Quote from: wbrent on April 20, 2021, 12:03:53 PM
The website looks good, but I cant seem to be able to order anything through it. That may be just me. 
This is one of the issues I am having. They replaced the LM29 with the LM30 recently and I would like get the LM30 with one extension. However, it won't let me proceed to the checkout. They do have a notice that attachments are available for purchase only to the verified owner, or at time of sawmill purchase. I think the issue is that the extension is only linked to the MN26 and LM29 but not the LM30. Without a dealer nearby, my fear is that I'm locked into online/phone. Regarding your order issue, maybe you need to verify it? 

wbrent

Im having the same problem on the website. AND I cant "Verify that I am an owner" . But I am. 

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I had a Lumbermate 2000 for many years and then got a HD36 Hydro Mill. I have found Norwood to be ok with their support. I am not saying it is 5 star but I have gotten my questions answered and or parts sent to me when i needed them. I think they are like anyone they are busy and have all different levels of staff experience. I am guessing that with all the COVID stuff and shortages and long lead times they are struggling like everyone else. I tried to buy a hand plane from Lie Nielsen and they said they have no idea when they will be able to make that plane so it is affecting everyone.
I had the best luck with Bryan and Trevor. That being said the mills are pretty straight forward esp. the manual mills so there just isn't a to that can go wrong at least that was the case on my mill. There is no shortage of people with cash to spend so demand is high and supply is tight so try and be patient with whatever company you choose. They I am sure would much rather have the stuff you need today but they are frustrated as well imagine trying to make a buck not being able to get parts to build mills that you have orders for.....
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

kevin5055

Just to clarify, I have no issues with the lead times at any of the manufacturer's and my question is solely about the customer/tech support under "normal times". 

My decision to potentially switch my purchase is mainly influenced by my usual hesitation to spend money and over-think my decision. My decision to potentially switch is not being driven by lead time, although it would be a bonus. 

Patrick NC

Normally when I call Norwood sales to order parts or accessories I'll leave a message and they get back to me fairly quickly. If I say it's urgent, usually within the hour. They have just launched a new website, so there may be a few bugs they need to work out. Salesman told me they doubled the amount of sales and tech associates they have a still can't keep up. They are getting around 6000 calls a week. At some point it will level off and get back to normal, but until then we all need to have patience and understand that no matter what manufacturer it is, they are doing the best they can. No manufacturer purposely makes people wait to get their products. They wouldn't be in business very long if they did. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

hamish

Well after owning a Norwood Mill for over a decade (which I love), and 3 weeks of calls, voice mails, emails, failed website ownership verifications.......and no contact back what so ever.........I would truly love to know.  Yes I know my bad for wanting to spend more than I initially did on my mill, just contact me and tell me you cant provide, easy as can be, no harsh feelings.   Has nothing to do with Covid in the least, its called customer service.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

dogone

I have had a Norwood 29 for over two years. The last several months Norwood has had terrible communication problems in Canada.
It all worked out but very awkward.
    My deck also needs releveling fairly often. Rails seem to loosen. I have cut a lot (I think) and really enjoy it

Thank You Sponsors!