iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber pallets

Started by D6c, November 29, 2017, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

For those of you who have made special pallets for stickering & stack drying lumber I'd like to see pictures of what you've built.  I'm thinking of building a few and would like some design ideas and size recommendations.
For now I've just laid down some 6 x 6's on 2' centers, stacked lumber on them and then banded the stack and covered it with used pole barn steel.  I've got a pile of used 6 x 6 pole barn poles I could use to build pallets.

Here's a video where they have a stacking rack with vertical channels to help align the stickers.  Might be worth building something like that and then set a pallet in it to stack lumber on.  (about 6:00 minutes into the vid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigFtAuUPDE

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Peter Drouin

A big saw like that and cuts so sloooooooow.  :D :D :D :D
I'll get some pix of what I use today.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PA_Walnut

I will get some pix today. Been building pallets fast and furious, using 2x6's for runners and cutting poplar and black oak for tops. Got my wife tuned-in to making them, so she's becoming a machine at it.

We like using poplar for 12'ers and oak for 8' and smaller. Even making 4' pallets for dealing with shorter crotch material, etc.

I like the ability to fork everything around easily and stack it.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Peter Drouin

I started with 1" top and bottom cord with 2x4x4'
Then I went to 2" top and bottom cord or a mix with 2x4s

They worked well, but the forks on the John Deere and now the Cat will bust out the bottom cord.
So now I have a new Idea,  :D :D :D ::) :D :D
I use 4x4x4' all the pallets are 4' deep. 8', 10',12' pallets have 4, 2x4 front to back.
14', 16' have 5, 2x4s with a sticking on them.
I use 4"x 5/16 lag bolts with a washer.
I get them from tractor supply by the lb, Use an inpact gun.

No bottom cord to bust up.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

D6c

Thanks Peter,
That last pic looks like a good sturdy design.  I like the idea of no bottom board to break out.  I use a tractor with a front end loader and it's not always easy to tell exactly where the forks are.

drobertson

DC, I reckon you are doing this for your own? if so then you might go to the drying board.  there are some good ideas there, from folks that do it for a living, with quality results. I've found out after many stacks of stacking for customers that will be back for the pick up, seem to be delayed, even after discussions on what needs to be done,, so often times near the end of my sawing days, I would bring all logs to the same respective lengths,, just so stacking would be more uniform. It's a pain but makes better lumber in the end.  Lots of cookies though!  that said, do a study from the folks that dry lumber, I'm pretty sure you will get some good solid advice,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

I make mine with 2X6's and 2X4's on edge for runners. Go ahead and nail first row of stickers on the pallet as a starting point. I made some 3' wide and several 2' wide because I have short forks on my tractor. I think I use 3 - 2X6's for 24" pallets and 4 - 2X6's for a 3' stack.

Somebody here had made a peaked roof they put on top of the stack of lumber that kept the sun and rain off and also added weight to help keep the top stacks of lumber straight. It was very well designed especially if you are storing your lumber in the open area instead of under a shed for air drying.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

PA_Walnut

Love the pre-made peak roofed idea!
Gonna add that to the to-do list.

The list never ends...the work list never gets smaller.  :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

That would be like having a bunch of little buildings that you don't
have to pay taxes on. Good idea...  Make them to fit your forklift
truck for easy moving. yea... More projects...
Also I would not have to put cement blocks on top of my tin covers.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

D6c

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 01, 2017, 09:16:25 AM
...also I would not have to put cement blocks on top of my tin covers.

With the wind we get here my tin covers and cement blocks keep blowing off...seriously, they do.

pineywoods

stack covers....I make mine with 6X6junk hardwoods, covered with old roofing tin, completely flat, lot less effort to make vs peaked. Lift them on and off with forks on tractor..Flat covers are stacked when not in use..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Crusarius

I know steel is expensive but could make the roof out of steel or something very heavy. Put some stickers under the steel so there is no steel to wood contact then Put some loops or fork pockets on it and use the tractor to pick it up and place it.

Be pretty sweet. built in cover and weight. shouldn't have to worry to much about it blowing away unless you get some crazy winds.

Bruno of NH

I use the cheap straps to hold down my tin.
It won't blow off :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!