iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

worth of a 225 timberjack?

Started by semologger, April 04, 2012, 02:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

A friend of mine has one thats been sitting for a few years plus. But it needs a motor a 353 detroit. I can get a motor for around 1200. But whats the most you would spend on something you know is going to have to have alot of work. I know most of all the seals are going to be bad plus hoses. It needs some tires also. He hit me at 4500 but i know i can get him to take less but not sure on how much. Even if its worth my time doing so.

chevytaHOE5674

When I buy equipment that isn't running I figure out what it is worth in scrap and offer that. At least that way when you get it home and torn apart if you find something catastrophically wrong you can scrap it and not be out anything

semologger

Well then another ? is a foot whats the weight of a 225?

lumberjack48

I found a 1971, 404 TJ for 6000, chains on all 4, 2 new tires, other 2 good, nice looking machine, running Detroit. Then a 1988 450  TJ, Detroit, Gearmatic, 23-1 / 26 tires, for 7000.,, I was using this as an example, i wouldn't pay more then 2000. But i haven't seen the skidder, maybe its not worth that or it might be worth more.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Andrew Lawrence

It's only worth as much as you (or someone else) if willing to pay. I look for the same or similar equipment to get an idea of the.  value. But if you can buy a cheap it doesn't make it "worth less".  Try to get it as inexpensive as possible That's the American way   Fair market value isn't always fair
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

chevytaHOE5674

I think that a 225 is a 7 or 8 ton machine. So 14,000-16,000lbs at your local scrap price.

If the tires are bad then they will possible cost you money to dispose of them.

a old timberjack

H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

jocco

I agree $2-3000 If tires are real good a plus if not very negative. Several other thoughts 1.your time to restore of refurbish,. 2. parts and scrap value as it is? 3. what is the going price in your area when its  all redone?
You may check out but you will never leave

redprospector

I got my old 440b as a basket case.
I generally look at what similar machines are selling for in ok shape.
Then I'll call the dealer, or a shop and get them to give me a worst case scinario estimate on my best description. Then I try to decide if I want to mess with it, or not.
I lucked out on my 440b, I had a little over $5000 in it when I put it to work. But it could have gone the other way pretty easily.

Ever notice that when you buy something that's not working that it's alway's supposed to be some simple fix? Every transmission that's not working just needs syncro's.  :D  Oh yeah, they forgot to mention the differential.  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!