iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sliding Barn Door Header - with exterior insulation

Started by John P., September 15, 2016, 09:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John P.

I have a somewhat unconventional construction going on right now. I've posted on it before. One thing I did not figure out ahead of time (my bad) was how to handle the sliding door header. I figured it would be easy to figure out once I got to it, but honestly, I don't know what to do now.

The description below describes my situation, but basically if anyone knows of any resources that I can use, I'd appreciate it.

Up to this point everything I've done has either relied on prescriptive tables or engineering reports, but this header is uncharted territory.

This is a simplified view from the inside:

And a view from outside:

The ugly repeating pattern is 1/2" OSB, pink is 2" of foam. An air/water/vapor barrier goes on top of the OSB:

I want to put 1 or 2" of foam between the header board and the structure, so that the thermal envelope is unbroken there. Additionally, I don't want a through-bolt - I would like to use structural screws or lags so no fasteners show on the inside. This view shows a side view:

Any ideas? Also, I would like to lower the door 12", but then the beam would only have a few attachment points.

Brian_Weekley

The easiest would be to just build tall doors so the track could be mounted at the same location of the existing beam on the inside.  On my barn, I framed around the doors and windows with 2 inch thick nailers to match the thickness of the foam.  Just cut the foam to fit and add your choice of siding.

I used swing-out doors on mine.  However, if I had installed sliding doors, I would definitely add a sloped rain cover over the door track something like this:

e aho laula

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!