iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oops!

Started by Sheepkeeper, October 19, 2019, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

My 70 will pass by. Do you have the off set insert? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Yes- I was thinking about height.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Mine will clear it, I put it on before I park the head. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Both of my fenders are the first things removed during setup and the last things installed after take down.  My saw head will not pass the right fender and the loader will not clear the left fender.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

I've done this particular Oops once or twice, but never was calm enough to snap a photo.  

Sooner or later, when during the RRRQS technique, there will be an "over role".
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

TimW

Quote from: Southside on October 19, 2019, 09:56:12 PM
The ones you throw off the mill with a chain turner and completely clear the tire - those are the ones you remember.   ;D
I did that yesterday with a 5.5 x 20 inch ten foot cant, with my turning claw.  Guess I blinked or something.  I was hot and ready for a break.  It went over the backstops, all but one.  Half on and half off.   I chained it to the the grapple and lifted it back onto the mill.  Going to get the tractor is what I call the walk of shame.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

East ky logging

I've done that a couple times myself. I have a lt-15 set up stationary and I do it when I'm loading the log ramps up with logs and try to get one more on and push just a little bit and one will roll just right and across the mill it goes. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

WDH

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 21, 2019, 12:43:40 AMSooner or later, when during the RRRQS technique, there will be an "over role".
The "Modified" Version ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside on October 20, 2019, 06:56:05 PMMine will clear it, I put it on before I park the head.
Hey-that's how to get around the little back bungee problem!  thumbs-up
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

alanh

the last time I did it was with a 16 'ft long 22" diameter red oak log, did I mention my mill is inside a shed, on blocking, 3 ft away from a concrete wall...getting the log out from between the mill and the wall was an adventure I`d rather forget, but the memory keeps me from doing it again,,, for a while

Ed_K

Alanh, I'm right with you exactly.The only diff. was mine was 14'. I spent a couple hrs getting it up enough to get a strap around to winch it out with the tractor. Ended up re-leveling the base then the mill.
Ed K

Southside

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 21, 2019, 07:59:53 AM
Quote from: Southside on October 20, 2019, 06:56:05 PMMine will clear it, I put it on before I park the head.
Hey-that's how to get around the little back bungee problem!  thumbs-up
And that's why I do it that way. I can barely touch the front bungee, forget about the other one otherwise.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: Sheepkeeper on October 20, 2019, 05:30:23 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 19, 2019, 05:03:30 PM
Wondering how you saw with the fender on?
Easy, it's not in the way and I just step a little wider to get around it. I only leave it on when I'm sawing at home, on mobile jobs it comes off.
I have modified the dust chute to be more like that on the LT35 so that it throws the sawdust a little further away from the walking path. Probably wouldn't work without the mod. Here is a pic to illustrate. Sawhead is at 1 inch.

The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

GDinMaine

I haven't done that ... more than 2 or three times. It took a few four letter words to put that back on there. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

petefrom bearswamp

I aint sayin nuthin
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I will say this; if that truck door stays open, the inside will get sawdust.  :o   Same as if a window in left open.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

I have doen it where it took a few hours to hand lift it back up at a customers,, no heavy equipment to lift it with. The last thing I do after I saw the last board is lift the back stops, move the clamp all the way out, then I shut down the mill aand move lumber and load a log on th arms.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Banjo picker

That is the reason that if you have an energy chain (gooseneck) with your hydraulic lines in it... you always bring the mill back before you roll a log or cant.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SawyerTed

My wife's cousin had me come to the home place of their grandparents to saw some 32" red oak logs.  Yep, rolled one over the back stops and off the mill.  No equipment to get the log back in place so I had to break the mill down and turn it around to get the log.  I was sawing the lumber for family (aka free of charge) so the time didn't matter.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Stephen1

Quote from: SawyerTed on November 01, 2019, 07:32:43 PM
My wife's cousin had me come to the home place of their grandparents to saw some 32" red oak logs.  Yep, rolled one over the back stops and off the mill.  No equipment to get the log back in place so I had to break the mill down and turn it around to get the log.  I was sawing the lumber for family (aka free of charge) so the time didn't matter.
On the WM they get stuck between the frame and the tire, not a good spot as you have to lift them out
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

samandothers

Quote from: Cjross73 on October 19, 2019, 09:00:24 PM
I just did this yesterday demonstrating the log loading process to my step son. No pics but I got to cross that off the list
I am sure you immediately shared this is to show what not to do and is part of the demonstration.

TimW

Was trying to turn four 4x14 cants that are 16 foot long.  Thought I had it far enough from the backstops to turn with the clamp, but I was wrong.  The top cant hit the backstop rollers just right, and over she went and did this...................

If only WM made the housing strip with mounting holes on both sides, I would only have to take it apart and flip it over.  Depending how fast WM gets me the new parts, I may cut the strip down to one foot, so I can finish the 4x6 order.
Or even better yet...........if WM welded a cover over the strip to protect it from this abuse!
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

How about drilling new holes in the remaining "tabs" and tap the channel?  I would leave the existing screws and broken off tabs for alignment.

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2021, 10:14:12 PM
How about drilling new holes in the remaining "tabs" and tap the channel?  I would leave the existing screws and broken off tabs for alignment.
Lynn,
I thought about adding new mounting holes and tap them in the frame.  But the frame has lots of hoses inside that like to leak when sharp objects hit them.  Tomorrow, I will see if I can tap holes AND clear the hyd. hoses.  I just don't visualize how to keep the hoses out of the way that far down inside the frame. 
First I have to get the bolts out that are binding the strip and move the sawhead at the same time.  As I see it now, an open end wrench will be needed on one bolt and hopefully it is short.  Then the strip should be able to pop back into place.  Right now, it is in a bind, sitting on the hidden bolt head.  That hole just pulled through the bolt head, without breaking the strip.   Also, the bent housing could have bent the copper strip.  Not sure until tomorrow.
hugs,  Brandi

YellowHammer

Why not just remove all the screws (or bolts) and move the entire contact strip down a couple inches where there is clean plastic flange and redrill the holes in the remaining plastic flange to match the existing threaded holes?  When the copper strip is off, you could true it up, also.  Then reattach the strip into the estimating holes in the rail.  

Looks like plenty of material and it would hold permanently.

Pretty quick fix, I would, think.  

Lots of ways to measure and blind match the existing threaded holes in the rail with the undrilled plastic. Or am I missing something?

On my old LT40 there was enough play in the contact strip power wire underneath to get a couple inches of sideways movement.  

Or am I missing something? 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!