iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bruno the Wandering Bear Died in Louisiana

Started by firefighter ontheside, July 01, 2021, 11:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Several weeks ago a bear was tranquilized in a metro area of St Louis because it had gotten itself into an area it should not have been.  The bear who had been dubbed "Bruno" had previously been spotted in Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois and was known to have swam the Mississippi 4 times.  He was relocated to an area close to the Ozarks of MO after being taken out of St Louis.  I guess he went on down south after that.  Apparently he was hit by a car in Louisiana and had to be euthanized.  I guess he was just a bear trying to add states to his list of travels like many people do.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ron Scott

They can roam a long ways, especially during the mating season.
~Ron

sawguy21

A troublesome bear was trapped in a campground near Field BC and released 60 miles away after being tagged. The wardens stopped for lunch on the way back then discovered the bear had returned. Unfortunately it had to be put down as it had lost it's fear of humans. They are very territorial.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

Gosh, did he hop in the back of the truck?😂
Too many irons in the fire

peakbagger

Lot of Black bear issues in NH. Fish and Game has a tag line "Somethings Bruin in NH". The population is probably at a record since the area was colonized. Lots of bear human interactions. Some people feed the directly while others do it indirectly via bird feeders and poor trash management. The bears become human habituated and the interactions get worse. In the southern part of the state in the slightly more rural strips surrounded by development the sows have multiple cubs and they train the cubs to work the houses. Fish and Game occasionally traps the worst offenders and relocates them but its generally just a politically correct method instead of shooting them as relocating bears rarely work as the population even in the rural areas is high. The relocated bear is dumped in some other wild bears territory and is chased out from one to another by the bears who have already established their territory. The relocated bear is effectively starved and beaten up repeatedly. Some do go on the road heading back to their old territory. The north country where many bears are relocated shares a long border with Canada, the Canadians appear to have longer bear seasons and hunt them more often so many relocated bears with tracking collars end up across the border and get shot. There are a lot of orphan cubs that show up and the state hands them off to a famous bear rehabilitator who hand rears them. He does a lot of speeches and videos. He claims that he has a special method for scaring them off from human contact prior to release but more than few folks including myself wonder if he is human habituating the bears from day one. Sure he may have scared them off from humans at one point but I wonder if the bear is starving will it revert back to time in its life it was fed and that means human contact?  

firefighter ontheside

Bears in Missouri are on the rise.  When I was a kid, I would have told you there would never be a bear in MO, but now we are seeing weekly reports of bears in the area.  One of them was bruno, but there have been several bears around St Louis in the last few years.  One came thru my town and a guy shot it.  Most people around here only know about bears from movies, so they think they are all people mauling bruins and are scared to death.  Right now people around St Louis mostly fall into two categories.  Either they are scared to death or they are supporting the bears habit by feeding them on purpose or being careless with trash.  We are not bear aware.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Claybraker

We get plenty of black bears here in metro Atlanta suburbs. A while back the Feds broke up a good sized poaching smuggling  ring, the bear population rebounded quickly. Now every spring the young males venture further out to find a new territory. Just last week the Sandy Springs Fire Dept dealt with a small one. Sandy Springs is inside the perimeter. You might enjoy this picture in the news report of the cub sleeping it off.
Bear spotted in Sandy Springs neighborhood caught, tranquilized â€" WSB-TV Channel 2 - Atlanta 

Thank You Sponsors!