iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bats

Started by Magicman, January 02, 2012, 02:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I noticed droppings under the carport and looked behind a wall decoration.  Yup, two brown bats had found themselves a home, but only temporarily.  They gotta go.

You can tell by the teeth that they were not happy. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

We have little bitty bats in our cave. They are about the size of a big grape, or maybe the end of your thumb, when all folded up and sleeping. We don't bother them as they are an endangered species, the Arkansas miniature bat.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I hated to bother these, but I don't want bat droppings in the carport.  I relocated them about 7 miles away.  I hope that they are not like Homing Pigeons. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

About two weeks ago, I was using the restroom in our shop and looked to my left and a bat similar to those that Magicman has was hanging on the shower nozzle.  Bats creep me out and this one was about two feet away from my head and I really could not get further away from it until 20-30 more seconds had elapsed.  As much as I appreciate them eating skeeters, this one had to go. 
Caveman

Magicman

Those teeth looked like needles, and when they clamped down they did not want to turn loose.   :-\

WDH

Just think how good the guano would be for you tomatoes  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

when they are flying around inside a house you hit them with a tennis racket then throw a blanket on them
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

fishpharmer

MM, be careful with those bats.  A women in SC contracted rabies from a brown bat and she didn't make it.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45700088/ns/health-infectious_diseases/t/bat-bite-traced-scs-st-rabies-case-years/

And LeeB holding out on us......he has his own bat cave.  :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sandhills

Quote from: red on January 02, 2012, 10:53:02 PM
when they are flying around inside a house you hit them with a tennis racket then throw a blanket on them
I lived in a house like that, but my oldest daughter (at the time 3) and I preferred the daisy bb gun and a flashlight.  They're about half dangerous flying inside and I don't much care for being bit, I'll take mice any day, at least they don't have wings and their teeth are only 1/2 size  :-\

SwampDonkey

I was moving last summer on the mower, and passed by the barn that had aluminum siding. Near a window a piece kinda opens up. Two bats were flushed from behind the siding. I have a bat house up by the beaver pond on the back of the woodlot. Different times I have looked and never found any bats in it.  :-\ I think they just have not found it. They like houses and buildings better because they are easy to spot. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 02, 2012, 10:57:10 PM
MM, be careful with those bats.  A women in SC contracted rabies from a brown bat and she didn't make it.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45700088/ns/health-infectious_diseases/t/bat-bite-traced-scs-st-rabies-case-years/

And LeeB holding out on us......he has his own bat cave.  :D

A little batty to be sure.  :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Lee,

It is nice to know that you are, secretly, a Superhero  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

And a well kept secret it is. I didn't even know it. I guess maybe i am to my kids and Lindy anyway.

Red Pill

When I was a kid in Wichita, there were lots of bats that lived in the steeple of the Methodist church across from my school. We would go out at dusk and throw up handfuls of gravel to try to get them to eat one or knock one down. We only managed to get one in all our attempts. It flew into a tree and fell, where one of my buddies put a box over it. He took it to school to show to our science teacher, who warned us about rabies . . . and promptly got bit by the bat. He had to have the series of shots.

Magicman

When I caught these, I could hear the little popping noises that they make.  I think that is part of their navigation system.

caveman

The popping noise the one that startled me was a tad different.  It only began as I continuously struck it with the 4' sticker. I think I would rather deal with a venomous reptile than a bat.  Many years ago, one of my students was scratched or bitten by one he captured at school.  He, too, had to endure several rabies shots.  Caveman
Caveman

caver

I used to explore caves with organized cavers (we don't use the term spelunker). I worked with a group at Carlsbad Caverns one weekend and got to experience the bat flight down just inside the entrance below the amphitheater. It was like a Stephen King movie with thousands of bats flying past me. We got out of the cave early that day and a bird researcher needed some help holding a mist net down in the cave entrance. The bat flight was our reward and it was pretty cool.
Baker HD18

Magicman

So far they have not returned, so maybe I got rid of them.  I hope so.

Magicman

I just removed three more from the carport.

I would hate to tangle with those teeth, that plus the rabies shots.   :-\

Radar67

You think it is the same three? You must have some magic dust they like.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sparky1

Ihate them critters. I have bats in my attic as well. Ive managed to get rid of 50 plus over the past few years, but im sure theres plenty more!!! it is my goal this year to get rid of them all!  Magicman, good luck gettin rid of em. if ya got one you could have many more!!!
Shaun J

Magicman

There were 2 the first time and I relocated them 7 miles away.  This time there were 3.  I can think of another way of "relocating" them, but I am not really that mad at them.  Just want them gone.

WDH

You could coax up an incantation, maybe throw a hex on someone that you wish ill on, if you could come up with some eye-of-newt to go with the bat wings  :).  I will check and see if I have any eye-of-newt down at the shop and let you know  smiley_skull.

Magicman

Newt ain't giving up either of his eyes.  He is too busy eying Mitt.   :D 

I could ship them down to New Orleans to Marie LaVeau's followers.  That ugly witch needs all of the help that she can get.  Marie LaVeau videos

Riggs

Like 'em or not, you have to admit they are a fascinating little critter, notice I didn't say pretty...Anyways, I'm glad you're trying to relocate them.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Thank You Sponsors!