iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HUSKY 576XP

Started by VLACOSSE, January 30, 2014, 11:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLACOSSE

Any ideas on how to crank more power out of a huxky 576xp no autotune?

Andyshine77

They take well to a simple muffler mod.
Andre.

shawn55

I hear a lot of people talk about muffler mods. What can you do to the muffler?

celliott

Quote from: shawn55 on January 31, 2014, 09:49:13 PM
I hear a lot of people talk about muffler mods. What can you do to the muffler?

Basically add more holes, gut the internals.
Lots of ways to do it, some look pretty "mean" and that's about what they amount to, others look almost OEM, or, just a gutted muffler. The basic idea is to free up the exhaust flow some more. Get more exhaust out, saw has a bit more power, runs cooler. HOWEVER they are louder, and some people don't like that. Most people are plenty happy with stock mufflers and saws, but there are a few of us.....  :)

I just did one on my husky 372. Doesn't look the nicest, but hey, it works. Added a Husqvarna exhaust deflector (266xp maybe?) and re-tuned the carb. That's the important part, you gotta re-tune the carb.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Andyshine77

And not every saw will gain from a MM, like the Dolmar 7900. However the vast majority gain quite a bit. If I remember correctly the 576 I muffler nodded gained something like 10 or 15% That tells us the muffler on the 576 is pretty stuffed up.
Andre.

celliott

Quote from: Andyshine77 on February 01, 2014, 02:46:13 AM
And not every saw will gain from a MM, like the Dolmar 7900. However the vast majority gain quite a bit. If I remember correctly the 576 I muffler nodded gained something like 10 or 15% That tells us the muffler on the 576 is pretty stuffed up.

True. I don't know %'s but I don't think my 372 gained a whole lot. It's got an open internal can muffler, so not very restricted anyways. Sounds nice, and I think it seems to rev up a bit faster. I was bored, needed something to tinker on  ;D

I've drilled holes in the muffler of a free crafstman weedwacker (trimmer) and that helped it ALOT. I didn't understand how ANY exhaust could get out of the tiny slits after all the baffles of that muffler...
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

ehp

if you need more power then send the 576 to someone to be ported , they do gain lots just like the 372 does

Andyshine77

Quote from: celliott on February 01, 2014, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: Andyshine77 on February 01, 2014, 02:46:13 AM

True. I don't know %'s but I don't think my 372 gained a whole lot. It's got an open internal can muffler, so not very restricted anyways. Sounds nice, and I think it seems to rev up a bit faster. I was bored, needed something to tinker on  ;D

I've drilled holes in the muffler of a free crafstman weedwacker (trimmer) and that helped it ALOT. I didn't understand how ANY exhaust could get out of the tiny slits after all the baffles of that muffler...

The 372's like to be opened up big time, not every saw does, some need back pressure. You could add another port to your 372 and still gain a little. Also placement of the port has an effect as well. In a work saw you obviously want the hot gasses to be directed away from you, with a cookie cutter it doesn't matter much, so straight out the front of the exhaust can is the way to go with a cookies cutter.
Andre.

celliott

Even a stock one? I'm sure it'd need to be opened up more if it was ported, but it's stock.
This isn't a cookie cutter.
I'm happy with it, it's a bit louder, but doesn't make my ears bleed.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Andyshine77

Yes sir even stock the 372's like to breath. Also if you think about the flow going straight out the exhaust port and hitting the front of the muffler, than finding it's way to the port on the side of the can, isn't exactly the path of least resistance. Again some engines like a bit of back pressure, the 372 isn't one of them.
Andre.

celliott

Hmmm well maybe if I get bored, or acquire another 372  8) , I'll do the muffler mod through the support bracket on the front  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Thank You Sponsors!