iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Accidental Catch

Started by Ernie, February 06, 2011, 02:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

My youngest son went fishing the other day.  He always has great luck usually landing plenty of snapper and gurnard.  This time he pulled up a very pleasant surprise, a huge crayfish.

Our grand daughter was also very impressed with daddy's efforts

Unfortunately, the closest I got to this beauty is the picture :(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

No question about that guy being legal size  ;D

Hope they had a pot big enough to cook it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Being keen fishermen and for a bit of a laugh, I got them both matching craypots as a wedding gift.  Maybe a slight ulterior motive on my part ;D  So far no joy in the cray department but we do get a constant supply of good fresh fish.  They came over for tea last night and left us with a large part of the day's catch :)

I like the idea of frozen, water filled, drink bottles  instead of ice, it keeps things cleaner in the chilly bin.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Raider Bill

That looks a lot like a Florida lobster. No claws.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WildDog

Ernie that cray is really impressive, my mouth is watering, those snapper look good too, I bought 3 snapper fillets last week just for Nicky and I......Delicious but @ $30  :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Burlkraft

I like snapper better than lobster.

Them look pretty DanG good!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

DanG

Yep, that looks just like a "Florida Spiney Lobster", which is really a saltwater crayfish.  That's a sure enough big one though!  Do they commonly get that big down there?  They are some mighty fine eating, and many people prefer them over the Maine Lobster.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

Quote from: DanG on February 07, 2011, 12:03:10 PM
Yep, that looks just like a "Florida Spiney Lobster", which is really a saltwater crayfish.  That's a sure enough big one though!  Do they commonly get that big down there?  They are some mighty fine eating, and many people prefer them over the Maine Lobster.
Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 06, 2011, 04:20:49 PM

Mmmmm Bugs!

Bugs are Good!!!

I too prefer them to Maine Lobster. They are very hard to find around here diving but when you do they are monsters like this one.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ernie

Quote from: DanG on February 07, 2011, 12:03:10 PM
Do they commonly get that big down there? 

That was by far the largest I have seen in 40 years here in New Zealand although I saw a Packhorse Cray about 35 years ago that had a tail at least 12 inches wide and was about 4 feet long.  I was told that it was delicious.

We used to, in the good old days, hook a sheep's head out of the offal pit, stuff it into a pair of old pantyhose, tie a rope onto it and chuck it off a the edge of a reef for half an hour, pull it out, pick off a couple of crays for a feed, boil them up in an old copper on the beach and pig out with a beer or two.  I haven't tried that for years, I hung up a sheep a couple of weeks ago, maybe I should try that again.

Tom

The do-gooders here have regulated us to the extent that you can't even fish with a rusty hook.

Ernie

Quote from: Tom on February 08, 2011, 12:33:46 PM
The do-gooders here have regulated us to the extent that you can't even fish with a rusty hook.

Fair enough Tom.  My Mom always taught us that rusty hooks could give you lockjaw and that would be hardly fair to the poor fish.

Jeff

The fish like rusty hooks. The quicker they corrode and fall out after they break your line.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WildDog

QuoteThe fish like rusty hooks. The quicker they corrode and fall out after they break your line.

For this reason I wont fish with stainless steel hooks.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!