iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rose of Sharon

Started by logmason, April 22, 2013, 02:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logmason

At least I'm pretty sure that's it.

Is BK-32, Bonide a good thing to control this plant? Will the brush killer hurt a 100 plus year old hemlock if contacted with bark?

I kind of like this vine but it wants to take over. Main two trunks were as big as a mans leg.
Last year I cut the main that extended to the top of that hemlock. Looked like an anaconda.

Runner roots are in an area 2 times the size of the hemlock crown. To trim by hand will be quite time consuming.

Any management comments would be appreciated.

5quarter

I thought Rose of sharon was a shrub...last to bloom before the frost.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Jeff

It is a shrub. Not a vine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

I just happened to have a picture of one

Jeff

We have two in our yard. I can't imagine them being invasive. The plant in question must be something else.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

I don't think they are either .Under the right conditions the seeds will sprout and take root .That picture I posted was from a sprout that was only about 4 inchs high when I planted it .Dang thing died for some reason.

samandothers

My parents had one at their home in SW Va.  It was pretty. I sat one here at my home, it lasted several years but then died off.  I think I had it in too much shade.

logmason

Seems I realy missed that one, sorry folks.
My neighbor is an experienced nurseryman.
Next I see him I will ask and reply back with a more educated identification.

So many plants, so little time.

Claybraker

Don't know what you're trying to kill, or how, but one of the ingredients in BK-32 is Dicamba. It's soil active, and can be taken up by the roots of nearby shrubs and trees, so if you were thinking about a foliar spray at the base of the tree, don't.

timberlinetree

I went out with a Sharon who I gave lots of roses! ;)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Al_Smith

Every rose has a thorn or so they say .I once knew a Sharon who was kind of thorny ,so to speak . ;)

So much for that trivial tid bit of superfluous information . I have to wonder about said shrub as to why they seem to die off after a few years .

BradMarks

"why they seem to die off after a few years"   I too have a ROS in the back yard. Wife started it from a cutting put in a jar maybe 7 years ago.  They seem to be pretty adaptable judging by everyone's location and are said to be drought tolerant, but I certainly have noticed the effects of not watering during long hot spells. I took out some interior branches to give it "space" last fall, and had some others die this spring. Seems it did it's own thinning!  Looks great now.  But I bet I can still find a way to kill it!

logmason

Thanks Claybraker that's what I needed to know.
The instruction sheet on the bottle, is folded and glued together.
If I could get at it I'd need a rifle scope to read it.

Mrs. Nurseryman asked if they could have some of the vine for starts.
She said it was wysteria.
I told her to take it all.

Mr. Nurseryman also told me not to use this spray near trees.
He recomended round up.
Wish I'd known before I waged war on the poison ivy.
Now I know. Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!