iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Garden 2020

Started by SwampDonkey, June 27, 2020, 02:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here's an update on this year's garden.

Potatoes

Like I said, the ND hermit ain't no further ahead on them than me. Mine planted a month later when the ground is warm enough to grow stuff. ;)

Corn fenced in. At the foot of the fencing is some small green plants. Those are carrots thinned and spaced with some trans-planting. They came better than that earlier, but animals tramped them to death and the drought killed a lot. She ain't dry now. :D

The big picture. The row that looks sparse by the taters is beats, I replanted. Again the animals tramping and the drought. I did notice some radish poking up after several weeks. Water does wonders. I put 240 gallons of creek water on it this week. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Upper garden

Green house mater sets in bloom. The smaller ones I started in May. There is another bed with the same sets in tomatoes and some lettuce from seed, to the left of these. They had an early struggle in the cool temps, but going gang busters now with all the watering. I also planted seeds all around in groups to transplant into any spaces. ;D

Cukes I started in May, struggled to in the cold. But blooming now. I also panted some seed in the garden, the smaller green things in the first photo.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

Nice looking garden👍👍👍

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Are using any pesticides or just fortunate?  My potatoes are covered in shotholes.
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

I don't use anything on the plants. I pick any beetles and crush them and any eggs. There have been very few this year and have not seen any for 3 days.

I did notice the cucumber beetle arrived yesterday on the squash plants in the main garden. I covered them with floating fabric and that kept them away today. I just removed it again tonight. It's been overcast and showery today, so probably slowed them down some.

thecfarm

I did forget to mention, no weeds either. I drive by some gardens and it's an ocean of green.  ::)  
I use cardboard and straw for a weed control. But it takes time to put down. I can walk out to my garden with my good shoes on and pick veggies for my friends when we go to visit.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I don't get much for weeds. I never let them seed and I use well composted manure to mix in the soil, plus peat for mulch on top.

I see some corn down the road all full of weeds, that takes water and nutrients from corn. ;)

Garden really jumped last couple days. Got some little cukes coming along. :)

SwampDonkey

July update

Main garden:

Cukes:

Two week old beats on the right (planted 2 weeks).

Squash, still smooshing cuke beetles on them. Flower buds are starting to appear, not blooming yet though.

Beans in blossom, carrots there to.

Corn tassels coming and ears starting.

thecfarm

That all looks good!!!
My cukes just sat for about 2 weeks. But I see yours did not. I planted my 2-3-4 times, about a week apart each time. Hope they all don't come at once.

SwampDonkey

My younger cukes on the left side of that bed are not in blossom yet, but the leaves are just as big. I had to thin out some tomatoes, too much for the bed with all the ones I planted from seed. My own tomato sets have not bloomed yet, but buds are out. But the green house ones I got have maters 2-1/2 across in diameter and some like your thumb. The mater fruit really grew this week.

SwampDonkey

July 18

Squash and corn. The squash is beginning to run.

Flower bud with ovary

Mother said she never saw winter squash plants so huge. That stem is over an inch and only begun to run. Wait 'til it's 20 feet long. :D

SwampDonkey

The younger beats with parsnip in between. The parsnip have only been up a week, they grow slow for a bit then jump up.

Beans in the background. That's solid green. When them squash get running I don't know how the beans are going to get picked. Sacrifices may have to be made. :D

mike_belben

Youre doin something right!

Whats in your dirt?
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Sheep manure, Miracle Grow soil additive, peat moss on top for mulch. Water from the creek and a couple weeks ago I added Miracle Grow soluble fertilizer. It's an old garden that got neglected, so I had to work at it to bring it back. The folks never put much on it, so it was getting a bit run out. Without the water wagon though, stuff would be looking pretty sad. We don't get any rain this summer to wet your whistle. :D

SwampDonkey

July 25:

2 and 3 cob corn, not ready for a couple weeks.

This 3 cob stalk has a secondary stalk to the side with the 3rd ear.

String beans, and bushels more on the way. ;)

Dug one hill of taters, 9 under it. Biggest are big as a fist in ~67 days. Photo next time.

Made our first hodge podge with beans, new carrots, and taters. Fried up some ground beef. Some good, mmm. Probably be making pickles real soon with beans for mustard pickles and cukes for 'lady rose'. double mmm mmm!! ;)

thecfarm

Your corn looks good. I am behind. I lost about 3 weeks right during planting season.  :(  Still have plenty of time before the first frost. We are getting peppers, and picked about a half bushel of beans. Two people picked today and I plan on another picking tomorrow of beans. Broccoli was big, but the grandkids will like it. 

SwampDonkey

Yes, surprising since the corn seed in the envelope it came in was like corn meal mixed in. If I tried to sell seed like that I would be run out of town. :D It's also very pricey for something heavily subsidized. I'll get any corn seed next time from bulk or at least plastic baggy so I can see the quality. Coop has it locally. Yes lots of time, no frost for 2 months yet. We hope. I'm anxious to get into them grapes, they are starting to show color now. I have not got a lot this year because of the late frost this spring that followed an unprecedented heat wave. So hopefully no frost for a few more weeks. With this crazy drought it might be snow'n mid September. Oh well, the wood is all in. ;)

Dad's aunt would say, 'don't let me die in garden time'. :D

p.s. I think I need to do a run of pickled veggies next week: carrot, beans, onion, cuke slice. I use a spice mix from the store I really like. :)

thecfarm

At the hardware store I work at we can not get regular canning lids from our supplier. Garden hoses too. We have gone to other suppliers but other store are doing the same thing. The spice mixes we stocked up on, hope we have enough. I have no idea about canning jars. One inch holes chicken wire is out too.

SwampDonkey

I won't need jars or lids I don't think. But I'll also check the shelves to see if there is any. I have the spice for the veg pickles. I know there are lots of garden hose, and the good rubber kind, not plastic. I already have a top of the line one and a cheaper one, but both made in USA. The cheaper one is not ribbed, so it does kink, much like the plastic ones, but at least it doesn't go stiff when using cold water. Some hot sun and the hose loses them kinks. But still toted as a good hose, I'd give them 3 out of 5. I had a real good one here for 30 years, but I needed a short hose to drain a hot water tank, so I cut it. :DThat was when I had to get it out of the house for the power company to take. 

SwampDonkey

Walmart.ca says Bernardin canning lids are in stock, jars to.

And checked grocery store online and they have the pickling spice in stock.

SwampDonkey

July 26:

A hill of spuds I dug this afternoon. Two more weeks should make a difference in the size, but they are just right for me. A couple there like a fist. I have noticed 2 or 3 nubs on the roots for new taters on this hill and the previous. So definitely 2 weeks of life left in them. Tops still lots green, but getting more like vines, long. These usually die down a lot earlier than a russet when they ripen.

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Aug 1

Tiny Tims

Some medium sized maters

Wish they would ripen up.

SwampDonkey

Beats. I thinned them last weekend. The right hand side are the younger ones. The parsnips in the middle really jumped to.

Thank You Sponsors!