iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beautiful Quarter Sawn Highly Valuable Walnut

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 12, 2014, 09:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I QS a lot of Oak but this is the first time I have QS Walnut.....per customers request.
The grain turned out right nice....I was surprised. Now I can saw I have.  :)

These boards were 15 inches wide x 1-1/8th thick.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

NWP

It needs more blue stains to make it highly valuable.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: NWP on May 12, 2014, 09:36:26 PM
It needs more blue stains to make it highly valuable.

This is not Loblolly Walnut.... :D

Forgot....NOT EVEN 1 NAIL.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Quite sure they were nice logs, the lumber shown is perfect.  nice work!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Yup, saw it as the customer specifies.  Looks like a table is in his future.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

i like the vertical grain look in most woods, even the non traditional q sawn woods.   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Bibbyman

I'd expect them to bust up the middle as they dried. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ianab

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 13, 2014, 05:04:56 AM
I'd expect them to bust up the middle as they dried.

Yeah, you can see the heart check starting already.

But that middle bit isn't Q-sawn anyway, it's knotty low grade pith wood. You rip that off the board and throw it in the firewood pile anyway. Whether you do this before or after it dries doesn't really matter. The other 90% of the board is good Q-sawn

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

What you are seeing is the black chambered pith.  None of my walnut splits at the pith.  In a project, you can scrape out the septa in the pith and replace with black epoxy.  Results in a nice look. 

The vertical grain pattern from quartersawing looks good in some projects.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kcwoodbutcher

I have a luthier who buys all my QS walnut. I don't cut it intentionally but always end up with a little when I'm cutting walnut.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Brad_S.

When asked by the customer to QS most non-traditionaly QS woods, i would always ask their reason. Usually it is because they are novice woodworkers and have read that QS is more dimensionally stable. I explain how cathedral grain is usually more attractive in most species and the stability aspect is over emphasized by the how to books.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Dave_

The only thing that would make it pertier would be circle saw marks and not band saw marks ;D

Larry

I've heard luthiers call QS walnut pencil stripe, I guess for the delicate figure.  Any unusual or different name is also ok with home decorators as they can extract more $$$$'s from the buyer.  Guess it's highly valuable at that point.

Being a true sapwood snob, I don't get worked up much for pencil striped walnut either.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!