iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade lube usage?

Started by JRWoodchuck, May 04, 2016, 05:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRWoodchuck

How much better is it to have blade lube dripping/spraying on both sides of the blade? VS. one side?
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Magicman

I did fine with the drip on the top side only, but I had no real way of controlling the flow with just a spigot.  I was regularly using a gallon every 4 hours.  With the pressurized system, it sprays both sides and now I generally use close to a gallon per day. 

The actual cost of the system (LubeMizer) could hardly be justified by the soap/water savings, but to me it was justified by the convenience of being able to control the lube amount to match the logs that I am sawing.  If/when I see a buildup of pitch I tweak the knob a bit or run it full force until the buildup disappears.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JustinW_NZ

I'm using a commercial sawmill lube product on a lt-40 with added on lube mizer.
the 20liter tank lasts a month or two with that product as it is very good.
it has to be given the cost but works well.

(that's clocking near full time hours on the mill currently cutting hardwood flooring)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

JRWoodchuck

Magicman I really appreciate all your input! This website and it's collective knowledge just continues to impress me.

Carson-saws

Gravity feed for sure.  The less moving parts the less likely to fail.  In the winter good ole windshield washer fluid.  Summer (or warm)  yup, soap and water
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Scott Sawdust

My machine has one brass spray nozzle on top of the blade. But there is a provision for one below the blade too, although it  currently has a pipe plug in it.
You're sure there are no nails in this log? Trust, but verify.

JRWoodchuck

Just plumbed it with one brass fitting from a weed sprayer and a shut off just above it so I can adjust flow spraying from the top. If I need to I can splice in another to spray the bottom. I have a old 5 gallon metal gas can for the reservoir with a windshield wiper pump in line to pressurize the system. Also an on off switch on my control panel. Haven't got to test it yet because all my metal is still raw and do need any extra rust to remove!

Thank You Sponsors!