Laser engraving

Started by doc henderson, March 02, 2019, 07:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

was helping my buddy Eddie pour concrete for a shop addition for my other buddy Dallas who spreads manure.  Eddie was using a hammer with a split and chipped broken nearly in two handle.  so i took it home and added resin, cut it down and re-mounted it, refurbished with some safety red paint, and custom engraving.  now we will see if it is too pretty to use.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I guess you can call him "Lucky Eddie" from now on. That's a fine cross peen hammer.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

My daughter just got out of college with a degree in animation.  it is close to graphic art and game design.  she is great on face book and is trying to freelance online with up work.  We have found some local stuff for friends to keep her busy.  her expertise is touching up photo or artwork.  Our latest is an ortho surgeon about to retire and has started a winery.  he will produce 3500 bottles of 6 different wine varieties.  we have been working on a logo and settled on a line art version of a photo of one of his grape clusters with a stem.  he has used this font for a while.  Monique did the engraving on 4 cases of Riedell red wine glasses.  we had some issues with 4 glasses from one case.  the had a little break outside the lines in the N.  we sped up the laser and coated the glass with a thin layer of dish soap and it went away.  you could barely see it, but Monique was on quality control duty as well.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

some of the work and prototypes.  what looks good in a pic, or on a computer, may loose or add something when engraved, and it is different on wood vs glass.  

and of course will are working on coasters and charcuterie boards.

metalspinner

Doc Henderson
My youngest son is in his second year of a digital animation degree. He is very good at 3D art, sculpture, etc. he just picked up wood carving last month. It's just amazing how easy it is for him to create something. 

Anyway, it's great to see your daughter working in your shop. Zach came home for the weekend to work in the shop on another project. The little tool kit we put together for his dorm room just isn't enough.  :) :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

That live edge walnut piece looks like the state of Massachusetts.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

:) :) :)  two beers or a glass of wine, turn it over, and it even looks a little like Kansas.   :D :D

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WDH on September 24, 2021, 10:38:59 AM
That live edge walnut piece looks like the state of Massachusetts.  
Danny,

A couple of passes on the table saw will fix that. :D

Doc,

Nice work. Is this for a customer or a friend?

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

this is "work" for my daughter who is unable to find any animation jobs in Hutchinson Ks.   :)  Dr. L is a colleague I have known for 20 years and is trying to make a retirement business on his property.  So we are tryin to source things including "talent" locally.  so it is both, but the range of prototypes were so he could show ideas to his board (friends and family).  It did not help as he said the consensus was "50/50".  I am mostly doing the wood working.  my daughter is helping with art but also working in the shop after things are prepped.  she is getting paid.  mostly to build confidence and to feel she is not jobless.  she has been trying online stuff, but it is a slow start.  We will prob. barter to some extent as we try to promote and support his start up.

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the explanation. Good luck to your daughter and hope this works out well for everyone. BTW - I like barter. ;D If properly done both parties win and everybody leaves happy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

aigheadish

All neat stuff Doc. I thought I'd said as much on this thread somewhere but I guess not. I'll have to share some of my own stuff with the Ortur Laser Master 1 (I think), which is a cheap Chinese version you mentioned earlier. I've been really enjoying learning and using this thing. I'm using LightBurn, which seems to be the go-to software for at least the less expensive models. I'd love to find some better software but I haven't dug too deep into it yet as I still have much to learn about it's current capabilities.

This is just a little hexagon stack I made by cutting what I think was 3mm plywood. I made another out of circles that I glued together and it looks neat, but I didn't take a picture. 

Keychains! My first attempt with keychains, they didn't look cool enough, so I made more. 

Second attempt (kind of... The trial and error part of lasering has caused me to redo two of the below). These still need a little sanding and finishing.

A backhoe! I cut three of these and glued them together to make a keychain for my backhoe. 

I've got a buddy who's daughter is a big Harry Potter fan and he asked me to make him something out of some Beech (I think) and it turned out really well. That wood is lovely!

Just a couple random designs, posted on a different thread.

These, also posted in a different thread, were my first real attempts at doing anything with the laser. This is on a piece of pressboard (though I don't know if that's what it's really called, it's like cardboard pulped up and glued together) that sits on top of my workbench. 

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

so I have been working with my daughter making stuff for a local winery.  she is engraving glasses, and here is the final approved charcuterie board style with the logo.

aigheadish

I like that grape design a lot!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

that stem and grape image, is from a picture of one of his clusters at harvest.  he will also make a large photo for the wall of his tasting area.

doc henderson

got some coasters made and a few more cases of glasses.

Doc L is happy and wanting more stuff.  keeping my daughter busy.  she was oiling charcuterie boards yeasterday.

WDH

Love the curly maple.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

and some are spalted, and blue stained and look almost like marble.   :o :o :o :)

21incher

They look great.  In most houses it's dad can I borrow the car, but at Doc's it's dad can I borrow the laser. Up here we have many wineries and most cary the logos over into the wine racks and signage so I bet your  daughter will be busy for a long time. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

Noodle/stove board done for the neighbors to gove as a wedding gift.

doc henderson

had a new idea for oil changes especially since my tiny tach went dead last year sometime.

and my buddy Dallas helped.  He likes the little JD 850 for prepping food plots and all.

gspren

I'm looking for some ideas of items to sell at a ships reunion auction. The ship I was on in Vietnam, USS O'Brien DD725, has a reunion every year and we each take stuff to be auctioned off after our dinner, proceeds help to pay bus fees for touring around the area and some other costs. Items with the ships name always sell good and need to be small enough for people to pack in their luggage if they fly in. The ship was decommissioned when I was 19 so most of the ship mates are my age or older. I don't mind paying plus shipping to me but of course donations would be nice also, next reunion is October 2023 in Oklahoma City, this years was in Nashville. If you want to see pics of the ship you must add the DD725 because there were ships named O'Brien before and after ours. Ask away with questions.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ljohnsaw

My son has been working at a Jamba juice store for a while.  He is also just starting college looking at Graphic Design.  I think he is pretty talented.  He wanted to make some sew on patches for the crew to put on their jackets.  He came up with a pretty detailed design and I had to break the bad news to him that that (Tom) wouldn't work well for embroidery.  I asked a few days later what he was going to do and he said he found someone on Etsy to laser engrave some leather for around $7 a patch (needed to do 7 of them).  I reminded him I have a laser engraver and some scrap leather.  So here they are on his cedar slab desk we made last year.

SOI is Smoothy Operator Inc, the franchise name.  The background is a BlendTec blender on top of a mountain.  The elevation is the store number.  The laser cutting made them a little fragile so he found some little metal frames and mounted each and gave them as little Christmas gifts.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

those look great John

when is the ship reunion @gspren ?

gspren

Quote from: doc henderson on December 30, 2022, 04:02:51 PM

when is the ship reunion @gspren ?
The exact date is being determined but they are shooting for sometime in October 2023. There is a shipmate that lives in OK City and he's lining up the hotel and some other stuff. Everybody pays for their own hotel room and transportation to and from, the auction proceeds help with a "Hospitality Room" and bus transportation to see the area. I guarantee that if someone sends something that I want I will bid on it at the auction like anyone else, even if I paid for it in the first place.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

I looked at some pics last night, and I think I can help with that.  Let me get through the next months and I should have more time.