Should this Pine tree be taken down ?

Started by rdavison39, May 18, 2021, 03:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdavison39

this  

Hi there - I'm in  the Muskoka region and the township wants a qualified opinion from an Arborist that this tree should be taken down. Before I pay for an Arborist to come on site would like to get this forums opinion.  I  believe this tree was hit by lighting 5 or 6 years ago.  

Ianab

Hard to tell from a picture, but it looks like a large area of bark has been blown off and there is a big crack up the trunk?  That's going to allow decay into the trunk, and the tree is never going to heal over a wound that big. So longer term it's going to fail at some point.

The question then becomes whether it's going to fail on top of anything, or anyone, important.

Because it has obvious problems I'd be getting the arborist's opinion for sure. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Scott

What Ianab said.

Hard to tell without seeing more of the exact location and health of the tree and if it may be burned out inside. What damage will it do if it falls on its own accord or is it a hazard as it stands? It looks like it may be along a lake shore and is leaning towards the lake. It might be fallen into the lake for woody debris to support fish habitat. 

Best to get the arborist's opinion to determine the trees health and potential longevity.
~Ron

firefighter ontheside

That tree doesn't look long for this world.  I assume you are wanting to keep it, since you are asking.  Judging by the lack of limbs on one side there may have been another tree in close proximity until recently.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

If it's a danger to the public, remove it. If not a danger why waste public money dropping one tree? Plus, the woodpeckers will love you for leaving it if it's safe to humans is the larger question. They and other critters depend on a forest that has a few snags as this will become soon enough.
I don't see the need for an aborist opinion based on the above? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

what is the conduit like pole on the left side of the tree?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

BradMarks

Perhaps that is a handle to a hand pole saw. Looks like a couple of limbs may have been cut.  That tree is not long for this world, or without a wind may last a long time.

tawilson

Quote from: doc henderson on June 02, 2021, 12:04:16 PM
what is the conduit like pole on the left side of the tree?
Isn't that a floodlight above it?
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

mike_belben

Yes, floodlight or camera.  That tree is shot.  Make for good fishing if it can land in the water without harm.
Praise The Lord

cutterboy

If that is a floodlight or a camera then that tree is in somebody's yard. It might be a danger to someone if it falls on it's own.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: kantuckid on June 02, 2021, 10:38:19 AMI don't see the need for an arborist opinion based on the above?

I think he is saying that he MUST have an arborist give an opinion because the township is requesting (requiring) it.  I'd say it is pretty clear that tree is not going to get better!  Based on what I see as rot, I think the lightening strike was a lot longer then 5 or 6 years ago.

I was thinking the camera was crooked based on the trees in the background.  But then the lake is flat.  Those trees sure have a lean going on!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kantuckid

If that's the case why are we beating the subject around here? Hire somebody and make the local tree huggers happy? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Sauna freak

Well, the tree is rather unhealthy, damaged, likely to suffer from further rot, insect, and woodpecker damage going forward.  If it is a hazard to life and/or property, it should absolutely come down.

If the tree is NOT a hazard, it is a marvelous wildlife tree.  I've seen similar EWP stay standing and at least partially alive for decades, providing homes for wildlife ranging from wood ducks to martin to eagles, osprey and ravens.  I think such trees have a rugged beauty to them, and personally I would keep it.  I have several similar trees on my property, they don't make the firewood pile until they tip over.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

ppine

Its a hazard tree and should be removed. 
You don't mention its proximity to houses or property. 
An arborist/tree company is the safest and most expensive option. 
Forester

woodland84

I had a similar white pine that was stuck by lightning. It ripped a strip down one side like yours. It eventually died and broke off about 15' up.

newoodguy78

He may need an arborist opinion so he can take it down. Some of those lake properties have to follow more rules than most.