iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can someone please identify for me?

Started by Teddles, June 01, 2006, 01:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddles

Hey smart people!

I've been asked to identify this plant and I don't have a clue, so can you help me out? I've been given the following information:

When broken, it smells like sassafras.  However, I have not been able to identify this as actually being a sassafras tree.  At the ends of the new shoots are very small 'now' green, for lack of a better word...berries.  Are these present on a sassafras tree?  Are there any other trees that smell like or mimic sassafras? The tree is in a backyard in Georgia, approx 11 ft tall, 4-5 inch circumference on trunk....young tree, stands alone, closest trees are 2 GA pines that are about 25-35 feet away.

Any ideas?

Pullinchips

Sweet bay or Red bay  ???. Both commom in georgia Get a pic of the tree if possible and post a pic of the underside of the leaves.

Another after thought after i posted is titi a very common bush/tree in coastal GA.

-Nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

treecyclers

Might that be the same leaves that are used as spices for cooking?
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Tom

That looks a bit like Red Bay.  Sweet Bay is a big leaf and some size reference would be nice.  The indication that there are berries makes it lean toward Red Bay as well.

Yes, they are leaves used in cooking.  I use a lot of Red bay.

Without a size reference, it could also be Myrtle.

I doubt that one who had smelled Sassafrass would confuse the smell or the leaf shape(s) with too many other species.

There are other trees with a pungent odor and leaves similar, like Camphor.  (think Vicks Vapor Rub)

Is this in North, middle or South Georgia?

Pullinchips

I doubt that it is wax myrtle.  Although it has sweet odor when leaves are crushed this pic seems to be smoother than wax mrytle or have more waxy leaves.  The shape of the leaves is also not representative of wax myrdle.  Tom your right about Sweet bay and larger leaves, but as you said there is no size comparisen and leaves are very variable.  A size comparisen as well as a close up of both sides of the leaf and a pi of the parent tree and back would pinpoint it.

-Nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Riles

Clearly not wax myrtle, I think Tom was referring to Myrtus communis, but I don't think the leaf arrangement is right.  Need to flip a leaf over to confirm sweet bay, but green berries is a negative:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=334

Sweet bay is half of file (as in file gumbo); dried and crushed with sassafras, so odor is a good clue.

I think I'd still lean toward red bay, especially because of the berries.

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Phorester

What's the bark look like?

Is it evergreen or deciduous?

Teddles

I will try and get some more information to answer your questions.

Thank You Sponsors!