iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Groceries from the ditch.

Started by Jeff, July 20, 2020, 09:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

When you are out looking for road kill, don't forget about the ditch! That's how I topped off breakfast this morning.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

Nice addition to the oatmeal.  They have been ripe in Va. for a bit though most are eaten by birds, bears and the like.

lxskllr

sawguy21

We don't see a lot of them, probably too warm and dry, but they sure are plentiful at the coast. Make sure you inspect them before sticking in the mouth. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Arachnid meat is a bonus  eh?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Added protein but some object to it.

WDH

Ours have chiggers all over them but the chiggers (we call them redbugs) are too small to see.  So, don't worry about what you cannot see :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WDH on July 20, 2020, 06:51:10 PMOurs have chiggers all over them but the chiggers (we call them redbugs) are too small to see.  So, don't worry about what you cannot see :).  
Said the man who kept having to step into the privacy of the back room to scratch his ..... every 5 minutes. :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Yes, sometimes what you can't see can be very irritating.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Im probably eatin half a pound per day right now.
Praise The Lord

Weekend_Sawyer

A section of residential power lines run along my property. Along a stretch of the road about 100 yards long is a nice black berry patch. They were almost ripe when the power company mowed them down.
Aint that the way.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Walnut Beast

Should have told them to leave them til you picked them 😂

Don P

Quote from: mike_belben on July 20, 2020, 10:06:10 PM
A half pound of chiggers and ticks is just the price one has to pay for a pound of berries. The wineberries are in right now too, sorbet time  cone_1

Chuck White

The NYS DEC somehow got a bill through a few years ago making it illegal to pick and remove berries from State Owned Land.

It is legal to pick them and eat them on the property, but it's illegal to pick and remove them from the property!

I'd pretty-much bet that eventually they'll either make it illegal to hunt on state land, or charge a fee!  >:(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

Walnut Beast

You guys are lucky! Wish I could find stuff like that

mike_belben

Buy some and spit the seeds all over your property line then let it bush in.  Theyll show up.

Brought 12oz to a friends BBQ today
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: Don P on July 21, 2020, 08:12:35 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on July 20, 2020, 10:06:10 PM
A half pound of chiggers and ticks is just the price one has to pay for a pound of berries. The wineberries are in right now too, sorbet time  cone_1
Ive been covered in em for less!  LOL
Praise The Lord

Mooseherder

I may have to skip lunch today.

sawguy21

petefrom bearswamp

Not so Chuck White
Section 190.8 G of the state land use law.
You can forage for things for personal use but not commercial.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

That's good to know, Pete!

Really though, last year my sister in-law was approached by a DEC guy (don't know his exact title) and she was made to actually DUMP her berrying pail or eat the berries in place!

A note referencing this section of the state land use law will be available to many friends in this area!

Thanks again Pete!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

jb616

Wild blueberries on my property on the West side of the state @Jeff !!

sawguy21

They taste so much better than the farmed berries. I'll have them in a pie with a dollop of old fashioned ice cream please ;D

Thank You Sponsors!