iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices

Started by Firewoodjoe, August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

ya were the same here as before but no where near  the  log prices that your getting , I wish I had the veneer markets you guys have .  I see alot of post loggers make with pictures of veneer and I can not sell those for number 1 saw logs 

Firewoodjoe

I don't understand how prices can be all over the place. I mean they ship milk thousands of miles so what does it matter where the location is on logs.

Ianab

Mills pay the same price at their yard, but it costs a LOT more to ship logs 500 miles vs 5 miles,  Difference shows in the value of the logs on the landing. 

Here in NZ you want your forest within ~50 miles of a mill or port, otherwise the trucking starts to eat up too much of the value. 

Rail is more cost effective over longer distances, but it still means double handling and increases the costs. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on September 18, 2020, 07:03:15 PM
ya were the same here as before but no where near  the  log prices that your getting , I wish I had the veneer markets you guys have .  I see alot of post loggers make with pictures of veneer and I can not sell those for number 1 saw logs

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Takes a big wo to get that price.  But if you have them ask for it.  This is one tree.  

Other pricing news:  poplar is at $600 for butt logs, way below the prices of 2 years ago but better than this spring.  

Liking Walnut

ehp

ya I see white oak that big but the color of the wood is whiter than yours cause of the whiter sand they grow on, Veneer mill tells me it cost $800/1000 for shipping of veneer from here to their mill but still the best I would normally see for white oak is $3 a ft maybe $4 on a real good day in USA money, if your talking Tulip ya I have pretty much always gotten $600 for logs here. I donot cut much right here of it. I need to go west 50 or so miles and alot more of it over there. If your talking aspen I try and walk by that as much as I can, aspen, cottonwood , spruce is worth nothing here , $200/1000 once you pay trucking 

ehp

some nice looking trees in that picture standing

Southside

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on September 18, 2020, 07:23:40 PMI mean they ship milk thousands of miles so what does it matter where the location is on logs.

Federal Milk Order sets the price on how milk is paid and I am not kidding when I say there are only a select group of several people who know the magic formula and decide on how it will be applied this month.  If you sell commodity milk to a co-op then you are stuck with this system.  In some cases you have to buy the right to get the top price, or any price sometimes, and the "credits" (the name varies with the State you are in) you own are not worth the paper they are printed on as nothing stands behind them and the State can simply ignore them tomorrow should they choose. Not something you want to see in the timber industry.

Maine has it's own commission that sets the price on milk so it's not part of the FMO, but it's a mess just the same.  

Oh - and the farmer pays the trucking, then the milk plant pays a fee to the State and Fed for every gallon of milk processed, for advertising you know.  This is above and beyond sales taxes, local taxes, income taxes, fuel taxes, etc.  It's along the same lines as the Forest Use Tax I have to pay for every log I buy or harvest then put through the mill.  

Keep the bureaucrats out of it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Sorta off topic but one thing i did hear first hand about covid was a milk hauler dumping a tanker load for the first time in his long career.  Just no place to haul it when national school demand suddenly stopped.  
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on September 18, 2020, 09:10:03 PM
ya I see white oak that big but the color of the wood is whiter than yours cause of the whiter sand they grow on, Veneer mill tells me it cost $800/1000 for shipping of veneer from here to their mill but still the best I would normally see for white oak is $3 a ft maybe $4 on a real good day in USA money, if your talking Tulip ya I have pretty much always gotten $600 for logs here. I donot cut much right here of it. I need to go west 50 or so miles and alot more of it over there. If your talking aspen I try and walk by that as much as I can, aspen, cottonwood , spruce is worth nothing here , $200/1000 once you pay trucking
I think $4 is about what that butt brings (center bottom).  The veneer mill should pay the trucking.  Are there any veneer export buyers?  Right now light is right.  I was talking tulip poplar, yellow poplar.  It had fallen to $400.  Guys were so desperate they were selling fine logs at $40/ton for yellow poplar peelers, peeling mill was just flooded.  Those logs should have sold for $80/ton.
I'll post some more pics in the cutting thread.  It is a pleasure to be on this site.
Liking Walnut

ehp

veneer does pay trucking but they take it off the top to start with, hard maple use to get good money but not right now $7 to $8 a ft was about normal here for the high grade 

Firewoodjoe

I've never heard of prices like you guys are talking. Best I've ever heard was $5 for hard maple going to China and that was a few years ago. Now $2-$3 is great if you get it. And best ever heard in number one was $1.20. Years ago. Milk gets dumped everyday FYI. Know one knows it though. Always has. 

ehp

ya like most veneer buyers will tell you , right where I am is the best hard maple veneer that grows , the heart is a pencil dot and snow white in color. Biggest problem here is cause it was worth so much guys would go in and just cut the top veneer and leave, next is the sap suckers . They can ruin a tree in 1 spring

ehp

for a good bigger butt sawlog thats hard maple I get $1.15 per ft , big white soft maple its .70 a foot . Same as before 

ehp

we will see if the prices come up any , its getting colder out here so they should, if not I will not cut any good stuff , I will let it grow 

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on September 20, 2020, 09:10:25 PM
we will see if the prices come up any , its getting colder out here so they should, if not I will not cut any good stuff , I will let it grow
Big test for us today.  Last spring we survived on cutting a diet of WO, our ash salvage work did not even pay the bills, just helping out a timberframer.  Walnut is zig zagging but we may cut some walnut as well.  
I'll update with RO news.
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

I've got some big red oak coming up. But it's mills wood so price don't matter to me🤷🏼‍♂️

nativewolf

$1.2-$0.6 for export RO.  Lots of rejects due to this or that..truthfully they had some issues but there were a few head scratchers.  Overall, a bit lower than I'd like.  

WO remains strong and multiple buyers are committing at $3-7 for these rift qs logs.
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

That's about what I've heard around here. Closer to the .60 side though

stavebuyer

Demand has increased rapidly this fall for most hardwood lumber and especially oak flooring. Tie logs jumped to $.50 Doyle this week. Even though it has been dry this fall; lackluster lumber demand and pricing has log inventories fairly low for this time of year. You may well see rapid price increases and bidding wars for available logs as we head into the deer season/fall rain/Christmas supply disruptions. If you have good logs and can hold them..now might be a good time do so.

nativewolf

Super, good to hear and thanks for the update.  We sold nro butt at 1.6 and QS white oak went anywhere from $2.2 to 1.5.  I hear graff laid off all log buyers, have you heard about that?
Liking Walnut

stavebuyer

Quote from: nativewolf on October 19, 2020, 06:34:40 PM
Super, good to hear and thanks for the update.  We sold nro butt at 1.6 and QS white oak went anywhere from $2.2 to 1.5.  I hear graff laid off all log buyers, have you heard about that?
I don't sell to Graff Bros but I did sell Quarter saw this week and my buyer didn't mention anything but I will ask around.

stavebuyer

Quote from: nativewolf on October 19, 2020, 06:34:40 PM
One of my contacts told me that Graff did lay off all their road buyers and plans to run the mills off delivered logs and timber. As a rule I never ship a log before I have the $$. I no doubt miss some sales but the practice has served me well.

mike_belben

Does mohawk flooring buy logs or just lumber?
Praise The Lord

ehp

I have not heard yet if anything sold today but should know pretty soon, hard maple seems to be heading in the right direction , its not $8 a ft like it was but it did come up quite abit in the last 2 weeks 

Thank You Sponsors!