iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turning a Grasshopper pipe carrier into a small log arch?

Started by gspren, February 27, 2020, 06:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I have never used or even seen a log arch in use but I do understand the principals, I just didn't/don't think I'd use one enough to justify the expense to buy one, BUT, a friend just gave me the arch with wheels from this pipe carrier so now I plan to make the top part. I plan on having two tongue ends, one to use by hand and one to hook to the ATV. This will be for firewood only and when at our hunting camp in a state forest we can't use motorized equipment, at home I can use my ATV. First question is how far behind the axle should the rear hook be? I don't plan to use a winch, just tilt front up to hook back and then tilt down to hook the front, I know I'll need to fool around but hoping someone gives me some advice to get started. To see what I have go to www.sumner.com and under material carts look for the grasshopper, I don't have the long top bar, just the arch complete with tires and wheels. Any ideas?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ljohnsaw

So the "front" will be the (long) handle/hitch end?  That is where you will have the leverage.  I would say you want the "back" end such that you lift the front and hook the chains on the back.  It should be close enough to the wheels that you can lift the biggest log you think you will be moving by applying your body weight to the handle/hitch.  With that on the ground, then chain up the front of the log.  You want the load to be pretty much balanced on the wheels.  You don't want to be having to lift or push down too much.  If using a hitch on your ATV, you want the hitch end to be in the range of the ATV rating (50-75 pounds?)  I'd say make it sliding/adjustable like the Grasshopper shows.  You would just need a pin to keep it in place when loaded.  Don't want it shifting on you.

Doing this from scratch, and since this is "light" firewood logs, I'd make the chain a fixed point on the "back" end, have the beam able to slide through the arch (with holes for lock pins) and another fixed chain point nearer to the "front".  The telescoping handle/hitch end would be nice for storage.  Having the beam slide through the arch allows you to very easily adjust the leverage needed to lift the log and the balance point.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gspren

I considered a sliding top bar but that makes it harder to put a pair of angled braces to the lower legs of the arch, moving by hand probably doesn't need them but pulling with the ATV or tractor might. The main beam will be 2" sq. tubing with 1/4 wall because I have some, but today I clamped a regular 2x4 to the arch and experimented with where to attach things, there's a flat plate 6" x 7" on top the arch that makes it easy to attach to.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!