iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ethanol treatments

Started by islandlogger, October 25, 2011, 11:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandlogger

I think the whole industry has been feeling the negative results of ethanol in our fuel, while the saw shops may be keeping busy as a result....it slows us down and costs us time and money!
I got introduced to a treatment a few months ago...I have only been running it for those few months but I think I could dare say I have positive things to say about it.
The product is called Star Tron...it doesn't cost a arm or even a leg, under $10 treats 128 gallons
Google up mystarbrite.com

Heres to keepin our saws in the woods where they belong...pulling chips and keeping us busy and out of trouble  8)

-islandlogger

DandB Mack

I have been using the stuff for a few years now.  But it is one of those things, you know when it isn't working rather than when it is.  Beware though, the "larger" bottle is higher concentrated than the small bottle.  It isn't just more of the same.

Yoopersaw

I use Ethanol free premium gas which I can get at 2 seperate stations.

John Mc

Quote from: Yoopersaw on October 27, 2011, 05:29:52 PM

Great if you can get it. It's only available from about May through mid-September here in Vermont. I suspect the same is true for some of our neighboring states. I believe it's true across the border from us in Canada... since that's where our non-ethanol gas comes from in the summer, but the source dries up at other times of the year.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Marine Formula Stabil is also good for this (blue-green color), as is the Stabil Ethanol formula (orange-ish color)

None of the fuel treatments cure all of the problems with ethanol, however.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

CT Trapper

Quote from: John Mc on October 28, 2011, 08:49:02 PM

Great if you can get it. It's only available from about May through mid-September here in Vermont. I suspect the same is true for some of our neighboring states. I believe it's true across the border from us in Canada... since that's where our non-ethanol gas comes from in the summer, but the source dries up at other times of the year.

In CT. we can't get it at all....

SwampDonkey

Government got the ball rolling on it up here back in 1999. In 2006, under the Renewable Fuels Strategy, the government made notice of intent to develop regulations that would require an average 5% renewable fuel content based on gasoline volumes by 2010 and an average 2% for diesel fuel and heating distillate oil volumes by no later than 2012.  [I believe they are just adding it to low Octane gas now]

We have some exclusions.

Renewable Fuels Regulation

The Regulations allow the following specific uses to be excluded from the pool when calculating the required renewable fuel volume:

- fuels used for special purposes such as aviation, kerosene for use in heaters, lamps or stoves, competition vehicles, scientific research, chemical feedstock, and military combat equipment;
- fuel used in the Northwest Territories; Yukon; Nunavut; and Quebec, north of the 60th parallel;
- gasoline used in Newfoundland and Labrador; and
- fuel exported from Canada or in transit through Canada.

Canada Gazette
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

S.D. -  At least it sounds as though your regs were made by someone with at least half a brain (not that I think mandating ethanol is a good idea at all).

In the US, the federal mandate was set at a straight volume (gallons) of ethanol to be sold, rather than a percent of total sales. The gallon amount required moves up a bit each year. The original idea was to push E85, but nothing in the regs required that. Just about no one sells E85. With the economic melt down a few years ago, people are driving less and burning less fuel. It has become harder for the industry to meet the ethanol volume requirements. In order to meet the requirements, they've been pushing E10 in more and more places. It's just about everywhere now.

In fact, it's getting close to the point where they won't be able to sell enough ethanol even if everything is sold as E10... thus the push to allow E15. (why not just fix the regs??)

John Mc

SwampDonkey

Near the end of that Gazette article it talks a bit about requirements in other countries.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

The ethanol has swelled the fuel cap so bad on my POC (piece of crap) saw that I have to use a crescent wrench to get it off and on. I guess it's time to go buy that Stihl I've been wanting.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

dovetails

Quote from: Radar67 on October 31, 2011, 11:00:13 AM
The ethanol has swelled the fuel cap so bad on my POC (piece of crap) saw that I have to use a crescent wrench to get it off and on. I guess it's time to go buy that Stihl I've been wanting.

Had the same problem on my 3 Stihl's,caps swelled up, hard to get off.
I left them off for a couple days,was busy on other things,needed a saw, and the cap
when right on easy again. So looks like they swell up, then shrink back with fresh air.
All 3 work fine right now,so I leave them off when not using them.Works for me!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

John Mc

There was a service bulletin or recall on some of those Stihl Caps - problems with fit due to distortion from exposure to ethanol. They do have replacement caps which are supposed to work better...

tstex

I had to replace the gas cap on my Stihl extension chainsaw...there was a recall for the cap.  Said it could possibly leak onto the muffler...I did replace it last yr and I think I bought the extension saw in 2005. 

On the recall, it stated all the models that need to replace the gas cap.  If you pulled the gas-cap out, there were some letters on the inside of the cap and if they did not have the right lettering, you had to replace it...if anyone needs more detailed info, let me know and I will see if I can find the letter at my ranch.

Be safe,
tstex

John Mc

Just go to www.StihlUSA.com and do a search on "fuel cap"

Or, if you've got a one of the toolless flippy caps, just look at the underside of it. There is an identifier molded on the underside. If it's a "D" or earlier, it's one of the problem caps. If it's an "E" or later, you should be OK.

NOTE: none of the model numbers listed as affected were chainsaws (unless there is another bulletin out about chainsaws that I haven't seen).

John Mc

acco1840

Maybe it is time that the big 2 made a diesel Chainsaw.....

Yoopersaw

Quote from: John Mc on October 28, 2011, 08:49:02 PM

The 2 stations are planning on year around sales due to snowmobiles in the winter months.

John Mc

The stations around here have no choice... they just can't get it in the off season.

Thank You Sponsors!