iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wm roller guides

Started by sabre_tooth, March 25, 2004, 04:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabre_tooth

has anyone changed bearing in wood mizer roller guides.what is involved .one of mine seems to be getting quite warm at times.thanks for any info.

Bibbyman

I've changed out a couple of sets.  As I remember it's pretty well documented in the manual.  

I do remember one tip...

Each guide has four opposing adjustment bolts that set the angle up and down and lead left and right.  If you just loosen one horizontal and one vertical bolt,  then the shaft can be set back in and the two bolts re-tightened.  This should put it back where it was.  You may have to make a slight adjustment from there to get the guides the correct distance in and out.

After the guides are replaced and leveled, etc.  I'd be advisable to go through and check blade height, etc. and adjust where needed.

Oh yea,  the WM tech guys tell me more guide bearings wear out from over greasing than under greasing.  If you grease too much too often, it'll push the seal out of the bearing and the grease will leak out.

We sawn over 1,200 hours on our 2002 model WM and are on the original set of guides and bearings.  I hit them about once a week or two with one pump of the grease gun handle.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

KILROY

sabre_tooth

It is not hard to do. If I have read your post correctly, you want to check the bearing inside the blade guide.  
     Just take the nut off to disassemble it.  You may have to hold onto the backside of the bearing to spin the nut off. It has been several years since I took one apart. The bearing locked up and had to be replaced. If the bearing spins freely, clean everything up, regrease it and put it back together.
     To do this, it is not necessary to remove the assembly from the saw and possibly alter the alignment.
     If the bearing locks up and you do not notice it, you will wear a flat spot on the blade guide.
      I do not know which model saw you have. If I recall correctly, some of the new ones do not have grease fittings on the bearings.  They are sealed bearings and greasing helped purge the sawdust out.
       Check the tracking of the blade.  It may be riding against the back of the blade guide and heating it up.

Bibbyman

In the Tech Talk section on the Wood-Mizer website they talk about the new roller guide system.  Not exactly the info you need but some related.

Wood-Mizer Tech Talk
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

KILROY

sabre_tooth
     Did you have any luck with your blade guide?
     I took one apart today to make sure that I did not mislead you.
     Once you pull the blade guide off. There is a little metal keeper holding the bearings in. Pop it off and push the bearings out. The one I have has two small bearings in it. The seal on one side of the bearings has been removed to allow grease to enter.  
     It is simple to do. You can inspect it and if everything looks alright reassemble.  
     Load a log, fire it up and rip em up.   Have fun.

Don't smile to much, you'll get sawdust in your teeth!

Thank You Sponsors!