iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mold in house?

Started by xlogger, October 05, 2013, 06:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I got an email from a rental that we have saying he thinks he has mold. He says he smells a musky smell in the craw space and has clean a couple spots of white mold off a few things in the house. I've never had any experience with this or what to look for. Does anyone here might have any ideas on what to start? It's been dry here lately and wet weather is not the problem. I also have read where you can really get taken for a ride calling "mold removal people". He called and ask me a couple months ago if he could have someone come out that was doing a "special" on cleaning the ducts. They put this idea in his head that he "might" have mold and he should get us to pay about $500 for some kind of treatment. I'm going over today and see what I can find. Thanks for any help. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

I have seen two instances where homes were demolished and buried because of "mold hysteria".  In one case, the duct cleaning company owner tried to buy the home and clean it up for resale, but the owner refused.   ???

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

xlogger

:'( Not what I wanted to hear.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

tree-farmer

Do not know about that kind of mold, but I work for a Tool and Mold company that builds plastic injection molds. We get calls regularly from folks asking about house mold.  ??? ??? The reception always gets a kick out it...
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

justallan1

I would say that if you have never had a problem with mold in that house, then something has created a wet area for it to start. I'd check for wet spots on the ground, walls, floor joists, in the insulation, ETC. You may have a pin hole leak or the tenant may have flooded something. Either way, you have to stop the moisture from being there before you even bother with cleaning.

Allan

beenthere

If the renter is complaining, then it may tie your hands a bit.
I'd suggest running a dehumidifier in the house, and get a plastic vapor barrier on the ground of the crawl space. Fans to move air over the barrier to help it dry out and stay dry.

You may have to let the renters go, clean up what is causing the mold, and re-rent to someone else who won't complain and who don't feel they are allergic to mold and dust. Some apparently are allergic (feel sorry for them) and others just can imagine things are out to get them.

Seems there will be many in "business" to tackle your mold "problem" and take your money. Might be the cheapest way out in the long run if it keeps your renters and they are satisfied that there is no more problem. That is a big "if".   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Our climate is a paradise for mold. Cool and humid. In the winter months you can't open up the house to "air out". So we run a dehumidifier all the time, set to 60%. It's usually able to keep it there, although some days it's running 100%.

Living in a house produces moisture, breathing, cooking, showering etc. If the house is vented (or at least drafty) you get rid of this moisture. But if it's closed up, or the outside air is ~90%, you are going to have issues.

Of course check that there isn't a leaking water pipe or some other issue as well.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Somehow, some way, you have got to get ventilation where the mold is.
If you house has crawl space under it, you may need more vents in the under penning.

Has far as killing the existing mold, I have had luck with bleach. But ventilation is a MUST.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dutchman

My brother treats houses for mold, bacteria.
When he gets a call he does an air sample test.
That tells what type and concentration of mold, bacteria.
The cost for test is about $200, all test results are from outside labs.
If he does a treatment he deducts the cost of test from total cost.
Treatment is to parts of house, or entire house.
Air test is done after treatment, and results are given to owner.

When you have to remove material, wallboard,carpet,furniture,ect., it should
be treated before  you carry it through the home and spread the proplem.

SwampDonkey

I'd be starting at the roof first and seeing if it's leaking. I found mold and traced the source to a leaky roof. A bad roof can be big troubles.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

xlogger

I went out yesterday and craw under house with a light. Pulled back insulation in several areas look at walls and around vents, anywhere I could see. No signs of any mold, wet areas and no smell as he says. I think that the guy he had come out to clean his vents was a con and put this idea in his head. If he is not happy there I'm going to suggest he moves or maybe I can see what Dutchman says and find someone to do the test, maybe he will be quite after that. I've not gone up on his rent for over 2 years now, he about to get a rental increase notice.

Thank You Sponsors!