iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya’ll said This would happen... and it did!

Started by chinaberry, August 29, 2020, 04:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinaberry

Got my new Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic a couple weeks ago.  Couldn't be happier.  Brought it home from my dealer, T&K Farms in Louisville, MS on Friday August 14.

I sawed all day Saturday and Sunday!  Never had so much fun (with my clothes on).  Got in from sawing, cleaned-up, grabbed a bite, and went to bed... never been so tired.  *DanG... this is really addicting.  I can see where some of my other chores are being neglected slightly.

Today I did it... I hit the manual log support (just a little bit).  Does this count?  It did ruin the blade, so I guess I'm in the Club now.  

Boy, I am learning now how much I don't know.  For me, the learning is very much part of the fun.  Which reminds me I learned yesterday that even a new blade, if it is put on inverted, doesn't cut very well!

Walnut Beast

Glad to hear your having fun. Nice sawmill 👍

thecfarm

Did I ask all ready, what's the lumber for? Nice Logrite you have there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chinaberry

The 2" by 6" by 14' are going to be rafters for the sawmill/drying shed.  The long syp logs will be sawed for beams (headers over sawmill log bay).    Milled 3-8' oak logs into 1-1/8" boards to be air-dried, kiln dried, and planed for sale. 

The thought just occurred to me... is the length down the log support (that you just tried to saw thru) directly proportional to your stupidity?  My first mishap just barely nicked the log support.  Anybody sawed way down on the clamp or log support?  Come on now, fess up.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

Down low or up high, sound is the same.  Blade makes one kind of sound, your mouth makes several other kinds of sounds.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Southside

So you hit metal and did the backwards blade thing, cool. Now roll a log off the backside of the mill and wedge it between the tire and frame and you will be well on your way to a Woodmizer Grand Slam award.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

You're ahead of the game with strapping and stickers and your stacking.   Now to figure out what you're going to do with your dust.  Some just pile it on an out of the way part of their property.  Some compost it. I burn all my dust in vortex burn barrels.  You can burn green dust as long as you have hot coals in the bottom. 

You hit the lower part of the upright when you forget to put it down when you meant to.  Kind of like when you stumble in the dark to the toilet and sit down and sudden realize the seat is actually up. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Banjo picker

Sad to say, but that won't be your last mill strike.  I hit my # 2 log dog last week .....again, just barely...of coarse it was a new blade, and I been doing this 12 years.  At least this time I didn't cut the chain into like I have before.  I was timing my logs to see how fast I could finish one....bad idea.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

mike_belben

Atta boy chinaberry.  

Now get some tin on those stacks before you discover what sun on one side can do.
Praise The Lord

Sixacresand

Chinaberry, Congratulations on your new sawmill.  I see you are already learning what not to do and having fun in the process.  I looked up your location and did not realize Louisiana had a Florida Keys type geography also.  Looks like an interesting place. Definitely a new Winter place to visit on my bucket list.  Hope your did OK during the last storms that came through. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Patrick NC

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

WV Sawmiller

Banjo,

If you hit the #2 side support sounds like you need to check the alignment because if they were properly set you'd have hit the first one. :D

I can check but I doubt I have any saw marks on my side supports or clamp over 2 inches down. ::) I was tired and it was late and I decided to saw the customer another sticker and sawed into the side support at full speed. No good deed goes unpunished.

Chinaberry,

It sounds like you still need to leave the rear toeboard up and saw some nice long wedges. (I've heard of people doing that. ;))
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

IQ  is in such a tight high range here  it would be hard to develop any correlation.  :P  :D

Amended...
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

TT,

Did most of us just get insulted there? Are you trying to incinerate sumpin? :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 29, 2020, 09:51:31 AM
  It sounds like you still need to leave the rear toeboard up and saw some nice long wedges. (I've heard of people doing that. ;))
It happens to the best of us. I once was sawing an order of 6 6"X12" X20' and I managed to make 1 of them 6"X12" at the start end an 4.75"X 10.75" at the finish end. Making 1 bad cut on a beam is one thing but 2 cuts 1 after the other. That was an expensive mistake. Not sure if was just a brain fart or alzheimer's starting to set in.      
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

chinaberry

chinaberry

Hey, Mike... yea you are right.  I am going to tack some of that utility plastic tarp over the top and down the side about 2".  Got a bunch of that cheap tarp, might as well use it.

chinaberry

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

While I have your attention... I bought a flat pack of 15 blades from Kasco and I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been when I installed that blade on backwards.  I installed just as it came out of the pack.  Are all their blades inverted from what a woodmizer runs?

Also, about stickers.  I really need to sticker a bunch of oak and some syp.  I have cut a bunch of stickers but isn't it asking for trouble using green stickers on green wood?  I intended to air dry these stickers.  And should I use pine for pine and hardwood for hardwood, or does it matter.  Hate to go to the box store and buy kiln dried sticker material, especially after milling all this wood... help!!

WV Sawmiller

CB,

I can't answer the Kasco blade packing question as I have not tried them.

As to the green sticker question I have always been told dry stickers are always preferred. If not available I would suggest you try to use green stickers from the same species.
Howard Green

Stephen1

Quote from: Southside on August 29, 2020, 07:18:44 AM
So you hit metal and did the backwards blade thing, cool. Now roll a log off the backside of the mill and wedge it between the tire and frame and you will be well on your way to a Woodmizer Grand Slam award.  :D
And do it without  a loader to get it out.Extra points for that one  :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WV Sawmiller

The bigger the audience the more extra bonus points you get too. :D
Howard Green

WDH

You can use pine or hardwood stickers as long as they are dry.  You can saw out a bunch of 1"x1" pine and sticker the stickers and run a fan on them full blast and in a matter of a few days you can use them.  With a fan on them they will dry enough pretty Dang fast. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chinaberry

That is good info that I didn't know... thanks, I'll give that a try.  Seems like there are an unlimited number of ways to screw-up your fresh sawn lumber.

Durf700

Congrats on the new mill!  I have the same and I love it!  you must have the manual middle backstops if you missed the first one?

I've nicked my backstop and log clamp a touch , popped off the blade coming back before I raised the head enough and have dropped an 8x8 off the back of the mill flipping it which wedged between the tire and frame..  but I havent put a blade on backwards yet!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!