iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya’ll said This would happen... and it did!

Started by chinaberry, August 29, 2020, 04:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinaberry

Hey, Durf... you are correct my two middle backstops are manual.  My woodmizer dealer talked me out of going with the additional 2 Hyde backstops.  I'm glad he did.  I like it that way.  

I really like the simple set... does all I need it to do.
I like the scale.  Easy to read, it being so close... and precise.
The scale reads in sixteenths, but you can actually just quickly bump the drum switch and it's possible to only move the head one thirty secondth.

The Kohler is great... runs fairly quietly, smooth, powerful, and starts like a new car... and easy maintenance.

Two things I don't like:
The debarker keeps throwing the circuit breaker... frustrating.
The sawmill jacks are a real pain.  Very hard to level the frame properly.

I'll be getting the fine adjust outriggers soon.

I have discovered that once you buy a sawmill, you're just getting started spending money.  Just spent $296 on 13 oak and pine logs.

I absolutely love my mill... suits me just fine, for now.  Will be dreaming now to purchase an LT40 super hydraulic!!

WV Sawmiller

CB,

I am glad you are happy with your manual additional side supports. I am happy mine are hydraulic. To each his own. If I lower mine all the way with my hydraulic switch I don't have to remember if I lowered the 2 middle ones too. 

If the debarker is tripping I bet you are sawing from the small end and the pressure keeps increasing causing it to trip. There are pros and cons to which end you start from so basically it is just a learning curve as to how much pressure to apply so right now just keep bumping the in and out switch on the debarker as needed. It will become more automatic with time. I wish someone would design one that automatically followed the curve of the log applying the same pressure no matter the size of the log. Maybe WM will see this suggestion, build it and send me some of the extra money it earns them. :D

The jacks, especially the two on the drive side, are a pain to operate. i keep an old car bumper jack I use. Actually, since nothing in WV is level anyway, I normally drive the low side up on 2-3 boards about 1"X6"X3' to help level the mill side to side and I carry an assortment of cut off 1X6 & 2X6 to put under the jacks. I'd rather raise my mill than dig it in but I keep weight on the tires. 

Since you are throwing money around everywhere anyway stop at a truck stop or RV center and buy yourself a pair of small sticky back levels like you put on RVs ($5-$6 probably). Mount them on the lower rails/supports so you can easily see when your mill is almost level end to end and side to side. Remember - your mill does not have to be perfectly level - just close and with weight on all the jacks.

Yes, I love my SimpleSet. Accuset is better but SimpleSet if very good. I use it with my cheat sheet so I always land on a finished board on the bottom. I'm attaching a copy of it as a mill warming gift to you. :D I keep mine sealed in a gallon ziplock back with 2 small magnets from HF stuck on the inside cover of my control panel so it is always with the mill. 

Buying logs is a personal decision. I have 40+ acres of mostly wooded property so I cut what I need/want. People periodically give them to me or I trade for them. I have but very rarely paid for logs. My best deal so far this year was to trade a 5X8 trailer load of kindling cut from my slab pile for a walnut tree - 5-6 logs which returned over 265 bf of some real pretty walnut slabs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Quote from: chinaberry on August 30, 2020, 01:01:51 PM
Hey, Durf... you are correct my two middle backstops are manual.  My woodmizer dealer talked me out of going with the additional 2 Hyde backstops.  I'm glad he did.  I like it that way.  

I really like the simple set... does all I need it to do.
I like the scale.  Easy to read, it being so close... and precise.
The scale reads in sixteenths, but you can actually just quickly bump the drum switch and it's possible to only move the head one thirty secondth.

The Kohler is great... runs fairly quietly, smooth, powerful, and starts like a new car... and easy maintenance.

Two things I don't like:
The debarker keeps throwing the circuit breaker... frustrating.
The sawmill jacks are a real pain.  Very hard to level the frame properly.

I'll be getting the fine adjust outriggers soon.

I have discovered that once you buy a sawmill, you're just getting started spending money.  Just spent $296 on 13 oak and pine logs.

I absolutely love my mill... suits me just fine, for now.  Will be dreaming now to purchase an LT40 super hydraulic!!
When you are leveling up your mill, when you're adjusting the front jacks, move the sawhead to the rear and when you are adjusting the rear jacks, move the sawhead to the front!
In short, move the sawhead to the end you're not adjusting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Durf700

I really like my fine adjust outriggers I copied from others on here.  I use my dewalt cordless drill and set it up and tear in down in a few minutes without tweaking my back!  about 450 dollars!  I have the extra backstops hooked into the factory hydraulic ones also and I like them that way.  as far as the debarker, yes, you either are cutting from the small end and building up pressure or your hitting some knobs that stick out on the log and it is working it extra hard.  I just bump it out and then back in as I go down the log to solve the issue.  I popped my breaker 1 time the 2cd day I used it.  haven't popped it since in the last 50 hours logged on the mill meter.

I bought mine June 6th with 192 hours on it , only mill on my 1 day off per week and have 245 hours on the meter now. 

love my LT 35 Hydraulic with debarker!

chinaberry

VW,

I was sawing from the small end.  I like being able to "see" the ant size better.  I was trying to adjust the debarker out as I progressed thru the log, but you really can't see how much bite it is taking.  So, yes, I think it is worthwhile, for the debarker alone to saw from the big end.

On throwing money around... I certainly don't just throw money around.  My money is earned the hard way and I try to be sensible with what little of it I have.  Getting logs to mill is not so easy where I live in Plaquemines Parish, LA.  I only have roughly 75 trees that I can harvest off my property, so I want to be judicious with cutting them.  I have a full time job as an owner/operator truck driver... so I don't have a lot of free time chasing free logs.  Think about it... if I go into town 60 mile drive load 5 logs from three places, I've burnt a day for $100 dollars of "free" logs.  I could have spent that day driving and had an opportunity to earn $500.

I purchased 14 logs for $296, or about $20/log.  I got them from a wood products reclamation yard.  They get varying types, sizes, and species of logs and if they are decent logs, they put them aside and try and sell them.

The thing about this, is I go right by this place, 3 or 4 times a week driving my hotshot 36' gooseneck trailer.  90% of the time, I pass by deadheading.  So I just swing in off the hiway, choose what I want, they load me up, and I'm back on the road, having made good money on my truck run.  Pretty good deal.  As I progress, and learn more, I hope to make a number of good contacts for logs.  We will see.

Chuck,

Why didn't I think of that?

Durf,

Brought my mill home 8/14... have 38 hrs on the clock.  You guys kill me, always tinkering, and modifying your mills. I want to keep mine stock!  I will get the WM fao's.

chinaberry

WV,

I almost forgot... the "cheat sheet".  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.  That took time and a lot of effort... koodos!

Magicman

Quote from: chinaberry on August 30, 2020, 01:01:51 PMThe debarker keeps throwing the circuit breaker... frustrating.
I'm not sure that I would like that style Debarker's rotation direction.  It's "diggin in" where mine is "climbing out".  There is a disc that can be added to prevent the blade from digging in deep enough to trip the breaker.  I also seem to remember that some have reversed the blade direction, maybe not??  Anyway, I would call Wood-Mizer and talk with technical support.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

Good Luck with the new mill.
I think he was kidding you about throwing $ around.

You don't need to "jack up the mill". They are supports not jacks. Like above you use the head to take the weight off. The mill should still be sitting on the tires, but level.

That may not apply in W.V. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Banjo picker

They already have Howard, it's just on a Cooks.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2020, 08:44:54 PM
Quote from: chinaberry on August 30, 2020, 01:01:51 PMThe debarker keeps throwing the circuit breaker... frustrating.
I'm not sure that I would like that style Debarker's rotation direction.  It's "diggin in" where mine is "climbing out".  There is a disc that can be added to prevent the blade from digging in deep enough to trip the breaker.  I also seem to remember that some have reversed the blade direction, maybe not??  Anyway, I would call Wood-Mizer and talk with technical support.
There was a thread about reversing the direction of the debarker not too awful long ago.  If memory serves me correctly it involved changing some wiring.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Banjo,

That was fast! When are they going to send me my check? :D :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 29, 2020, 11:11:06 AM
TT,

Did most of us just get insulted there? Are you trying to incinerate sumpin? :D :D
Amended and clarified above..... feel like I pulled a Bilbo Baggins at his going away party..... :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

BandsawBen

I hit my backstop yesterday,  ive hit it before but this time i hit it hard.  Almost all the way through

trimguy

It's ok, the shiny was wore off the bolt, you need a new one anyways. :D :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Replace it with a carriage bolt, just need to round off the shoulders, it works perfectly and gains you over 1/4" more forgiveness room. 

On the advice of counsel I must invoke my 5th Amendment right and can not speak to how many bolts may or may not have been modified in such a similar manner before the carriage bolt mod was completed.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Cedarman

Those teeth gave their all trying to get through that bolt.  But, alas, no success.  Maybe next time.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Stephen1

Quote from: GAB on August 30, 2020, 09:28:50 PM
Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2020, 08:44:54 PM
I talked to WM about my debarker always tripping, they asked if the disk was on? yes. 
Next they sent me a new circuit breaker, reason being a circuit breaker trips to often, they get weak and then trip easier each time. 
I put on the new CB and the debarker is running all the way down the log. I also keep my finger off the toggle, I stopped holding the debarker into the log.. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

teakwood

If you make 25 passes on the sharper you can maybe address that band again!  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Banjo picker

If you of been going just a little bit faster........Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!