iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horses

Started by Sixacresand, October 05, 2015, 09:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

I'm guessing lot of us on the Forum live on Farms or rural acreage.  Since we do, about five years ago we took on two rescued horses and soon had three.  Recently, with health issues and desire to some traveling, and having to pay someone to tend them while were traveling, we decided it was time to find a new home for these horses.  We were blessed to have found a  family with kids looking for horses.   Today, Nancy and I watched as they loaded on a trailer and left our place to their new home.  Of course we have an open invitation to visit, which I hope we will.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sandhills

We own at least 3 and 1/2 (one miniature  ;D), our pups we gave away recently all went to close friends so we can watch them grow as well  ;), I know the feeling.  My youngest daughter got her first horse that taught HER (my daughter) how to ride, this last summer we let our neighbor's daughter use her for 4H shows, she got 3 trophies her first year  ;D, Diamond is 27 years old, sorry but I have a soft spot for horses and she's been one of the best teachers anyone could ask for as far as kids are concerned.

sandsawmill14

we still have a few horses. we had 53(between me and my 2 brothers) :o at one time but now we are down in the twenties i think  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

chevytaHOE5674

We've got two here on the farm. I keep trying to convince the wife we need to trade them in on two cows... :D

Magicman

We are plagued with horses that folks could not afford to feed and opened the gate.  Better drive carefully because you occasionally round a curve and there are a few in the road.  They totally wreck the nearby hunting club's deer food plots, etc.  Last Saturday (opening day) there were two bedded under my Grandson"s deer stand.  He was livid.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Can't you have a round-up and take them to a slaughter house? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Therein lies the problem.  Back in the day before hysteria, horses were used for pet food, glue, etc.  Not now, so there is no market.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

Mm I have horses as well, raised 32 foals on our place., but the thing is not all horses are worth keeping, I would say 2/3 were good, 1/2 of those were excelent and should have keep a few back, well the rest went to the auction,  I know of several people that have got horses that no one wanted and made excelent mounts.
The problem lays in the closing of the plants ,now you have herds of wild horses. The animal right folks should be the ones looking after them as it was their doing to close them.
We still have good movement here in canada because we have a plant or two around.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

sandhills

I will completely agree with the last 2 posts, we've had troubles here with a guy that has a herd of them and wasn't able to keep them fed right, he's been in court and humane society has visited him many times (both) over this issue, we picked up a few off the road one night and I'm sure I know where they came from, broken legs, starved, you name it, just sad, but all they wanted to do was eat.

Magicman

Agreed.  It ain't the horse's fault.  All they are trying to do is to survive, and they are wild.  If they see a man on foot, they are gone in a cloud of dust.

I have called the Humane Society as well as the Sheriff with zero response.  If we were talking about loose cows, there is a market and there is also a hired "cow catcher" that will corral them up and after a period of advertising, will sell them.  Not so with horses.

Tom King

We're down to five.

Banjo picker

Here is ours... seven if you count the mule, an he surely thinks he counts... They are all fairly good blood line horses.  (registered , either quarter horse or paint...except the golden palomino an the mule) The paint mare on the far right an her full brother, I have tried to give away to reputable folks...no takers.  I am not going to put them on craigslist because I want them to be properly cared for...  Banjo

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

tmarch

Quote from: beenthere on October 06, 2015, 09:28:09 AM
Can't you have a round-up and take them to a slaughter house?
Problem is there is no horse slaughter houses left in the USA.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Thank You Sponsors!