iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Instructions for jackhammer

Started by brdmkr, June 16, 2008, 11:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I am helping a friend break up a concrete patio to allow clearance for a new deck he is wanting to build.  We knocked out about 1/4 of the job this evening with a rented jackhammer.  The old patio is THICK, appears to be at least 8" thick for the whole thing with no wire reinforcement.  This is taking A LOT longer than either of us planned.  Are there any 'tricks' to using a jackhammer?  We have been starting 4 - 6 " from the edge and placing the chisel at about 8" intervals until we get a break.  I remember using one of these things about 20 years ago to break sidewalk.  My memory is that it did not take that long to break concrete.  Of course, I was younger then ;)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

If there is no reinforcement, it will make some good flagstone walk.

I don't know how to use one of those machines, but I've seen guys move it along a line until the line breaks.  The line can be two or three feet long sometimes.  They didn't cover this at the Holiday Inn Express. :-\ :D

maestro

We did the same thing several years ago and rented an electric jackhammer.  Cool tool!  I think our patio was about that thick, must have been the style way back when.  We worked from the outside and tried to go about 6 to 8 inches from the edge.  When you hear the concrete start to crack though you might not see it at this point, move the tool.  Wash, rinse and repeat until bigger things happen.  For the thicker stuff, I'd say a good sized chisel bit, not a point, would be the best.  Good luck! 
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

Radar67

Maestro hit the best tip, a blade chisel instead of the pointed chisel will work faster.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

brdmkr

Quote from: Tom on June 17, 2008, 12:00:24 AM
They didn't cover this at the Holiday Inn Express. :-\ :D

Strange you should say that.  That is where I am :D  But, no, they did not cover it.  Maybe another nights stay will help ???
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

dnalley

Just be careful.  Years ago a friend who worked with my Dad Had the tool break and the next thing he knew he had four toes on one foot!

brdmkr

Well, we got it done.  I figured that we broke up over 3 yards of concrete.  It took about 8 hours to get it busted up and hauled off.  I was quite surprised that the pad averaged over 8" thick!  I would have bet 4" at the most.  The must have had extra concrete on the truck.

ksu_chainsaw

The easiest instruction for a jackhammer is to put it away and get out the skid loader with the hammer on the front  ;D  I borrowed my neighbor's skid loader with his hydraulic hammer to bust up some old railroad bridge piers- not fun work- but it only took 2 days to complete- my other neighbor removed the piers on his side in about 4 hours- excavator with the hammer on the end of the boom  ;D 

Charles

Don_Papenburg

Should of rented an air compressor to hook the air hammer to.  ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!