iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping old stuff going

Started by caveman, December 28, 2021, 05:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

For folks our age, that's known as Vitamin I.

Resonator

I wrap a ratchet strap around the tread of those small tires to seat the bead. And if you ever have to put a tube in, be sure to sand the inside of the rim smooth so there are no nicks or burrs. (Don't ask how I know this). :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

TroyC

I use the strap on bigger tires that get flattened during shipping. Usually don't have trouble with the short fat ones. Agree on the tire tubes. I clean and repaint rims for tubeless replacements. Had a Ford Jubilee front rim that was really rusty. Think I wrapped an old inner tube around  middle of the rim before putting new tube in. Worked!

moodnacreek

Starting fluid and a match, spray a trail, light trail. be careful.

TroyC

My friend has used the starting fluid trick. I'm just not that brave. Scares me enough when the bead pops during inflation.

moodnacreek

It would be nice to have a wall to get behind and a remote igniter. The stuff evaporates fast so you have to be fast. Another problem is the starting fluids are not all the same, some of it is not much better than gasoline I have found out. A tire inflater is what is really needed but sometimes you just have to get it done.

caveman

I've done the starter fluid method on particularly stubborn tires, but I tie a rag to the end of a bamboo pole and ignite the ether in the tire from a distance (10' pole).  A ratchet strap along with removing the valve stem and an air blow gun will often get the job done too.
Caveman

Don P

I've debated the ratchet strap but hadn't thought of ether, it might help. Good suggestions but think I'll just lace up the ankle brace today.

TroyC

Quote from: caveman on January 22, 2022, 11:09:30 PMbut I tie a rag to the end of a bamboo pole and ignite the ether in the tire from a distance (10' pole)

Guess that is where the saying "wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole" comes from..........

Tom King

For small tires, I make a tourniquet out of a piece of small rope, and the standard big beater screwdriver.  Once the bead catches, release the handle, and it will unwind itself.

To get the beads over the rim, pull the other side of the tire opening up in the small diameter of the wheel towards the center.  Small tire tools are easier, but the levering can be done with a couple of small screwdrivers.

Everyone I've ever seen do the lighter fluid trick folded down one match in a matchbook to the outside, and threw it while striking that match in the same motion.

Any time I buy a new wheelbarrow, I put a tube in the tire -don't like the non-pneumatic ones.  Tubes are cheaper than the time it takes to get a flat wheelbarrow tire back seated on the rim, plus they stay inflated Way longer.

Even the clean, painted new wheels have weld spatter all over the inside that needs to be smoothed down.

doc henderson

I know of people using gasoline, starting fluid.  the trick is the dose, and most use a 4 foot stick with a rag dipped in diesel lit and put in proximity of the fumes to set off the explosion.  it is dangerous, but so is compressed air dealing with big tires.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

I still ether when needed.. Probably done it 40 times in my life but its usually my last step.  Guy i worked for had 7 trucks running for 20 years and was often the mechanic.  He could do a tire so fast it wasnt funny.  Bazooka sat in the corner and he would light it with a grill ignitor or even torch sparker with a bare hand right there.  Just turn his head away and close his eyes. 

I wasnt present but my buddy mechanic there had a chunk of sidewall blast out and hit him. Ive personally not had any issue.  When i was a kid a garage up the road ethered a semi tire a few times, found a rim crack, bent over to weld it and was decapitated. Friend of mine lived in the house next door. 

It works for sure, and theres a risk, for sure. I have gotten really good at seating tires without a bazooka or ether but i dont hesitate to do it still.  

Ideally you get the beads touching, shoot it in valve stem hole then a squirt on the sidewall.  Light the sidewall patch and then standing back with head turned, wump the sidewall with a rake phoooom hissss.  

I have a ratchet strap with a chain loop for cinching the circumference first.  This ensures the boom flares the sidewall and doesnt just stand the tread up.   When you mount a tire, dribble it hard on the ground while rotating first.  This will center things up and help get a bead to spread. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!