iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawed 1000 bf of poplar today

Started by SCSawyer, January 01, 2009, 08:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

heres a few pics of the mill running , I gotta build a shed, Hows this for an old ugly frick ?

Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

woody1

If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

SCSawyer

Thanks woody she aint much but she cuts real well and I love her ;D

Sprucegum

I like that screen ya got hangin there  8)

How do you move your sawdust?
How long is your carriage?

Chuck White

Far as I'm concerned, 1,000' a day is a good day!

Looks like a good setup.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

I've sawn on mills like that.  I don't know about a shed, but at a minimum, get something over the saw.  That sunlight on the saw will cause it to do strange things as compared to running in the shade.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Beauty is as beauty does,good show Si,I like your flack screen what did you use?Tell us about your power plant.Looks to be a 44 or 46" headsaw.What did you use for a foundation?I found a fireplace screen at the dump that will get mounted from the overhead when I get my shed up.I'll set it so it can swing and just miss the saw absorbes impact better,not that a circle mill will throw anything at you .Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I always enjoy seeing and hearing those mills run. How long have you been running the mill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

SCSawyer thats not ugly She's Budafull Mate  ;) ;D 8) nothing a good fresh  coat of jam cant fix  ;) :D ;D.
Im not even close to building a shed over mine ive still got to get the bloody  mill finished yet  :( ::) i hate looking at the carriage sitting infront of the shed and the edger turner and other odds and sodds sitting around the yard  waiting there turn but Ill get there mate  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Like Ron said some saws can have a mind of their own when working in direct sunlight  :o :) :( its amasing what just that little bit of extra heat can do :o ::) or the amount of dramas some shade can save you ;) ;D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Sprucegum on January 01, 2009, 09:53:26 PM

Sprucegum  It looks like he's using a drag chain for the sawdust and a 12'to14' carriage there Mate  ;) ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

SCSawyer

Quote from: Sprucegum on January 01, 2009, 09:53:26 PM

Thanks just an old window sceen I threw up one day to keep me from cussing :-X I send my dust out on a drag chain which I plan to move on down the hill  at least 20 more foot as soon as I can get time to finish clearing the place I got soooo much to do , My carriage is 36" X 16' and my track is 48' .

SCSawyer

Quote from: Chuck White on January 01, 2009, 11:59:06 PM
Far as I'm concerned, 1,000' a day is a good day!

Looks like a good setup [Naaaa thats just a couple hours play on a good day we saw at least 6500

SCSawyer

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 02, 2009, 07:14:20 AM
I've sawn on mills like that.  I don't know about a shed, but at a minimum, get something over the saw.  That sunlight on the saw will cause it to do strange things as compared to running in the shade.  { it does saw different in the morning and noon and afternoon lol  :D Ill get one on some day ;D

SCSawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 02, 2009, 07:51:16 AM
Beauty is as beauty does,good show Si,I like your flack screen what did you use?Tell us about your power plant.Looks to be a 44 or 46" headsaw.What did you use for a foundation?I found a fireplace screen at the dump that will get mounted from the overhead when I get my shed up.I'll set it so it can swing and just miss the saw absorbes impact better,not that a circle mill will throw anything at you .Frank C.

48" head saw and I also have another 48" , 56" , 36" The power unit is an old slant six I got of a chipper and rebuilt it is completely new except the radiator my foundation is cedar post :D ive been running this mill 2 years 8)

bandmiller2

Si,how do you rate the slant 6 for power,if its off a chipper you have a good governor.I've seen a slant 6 on a belsaw but never seen one run.What are you hammered for?? Thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SCSawyer

Frank,
I have this blade hammered for 650  but it runs better around 540-580 , I like the little leaning six and it has good lugging power I just wish I could get time too switch things around so I could run it a little faster it seems to have more HP that way and the gov. dont have to kick in quite as much, besides that I like it they are cheap to work ,on easy to work on , I sawed that 1000bf of poplar for about$4.75 worth of fuel so thats not bad, and its TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!