iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fun with a stump

Started by Ocklawahaboy, April 23, 2013, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

Since I got the mill, folks are always threatening me with wood.  Some of it is really nice, some is not, and some is just a pain.  Last week, our small group Bible study host offered me a cedar stump.  Not wanting to hurt his feelings I took it.  Knowing my wife has been wanting another cedar lamp and the fact that she likes weird wood, I had about 5 hours of my Saturday planned.  I don't usually consider myself a wood turner but I do have a cheap Harbor Freight lathe and a few cheap chisel sets and enjoy making wood chips.

First task was to trim the beast a little on the mill.

As you can see, even after I spent about 20 min with the hose, there was still quite a bit of sand in these roots.

It didn't take long to see that this was going to be an interesting piece.

Now to whittle it down to fit on the lathe.

Now to start turning

Real potential starting to show.

Every which way you look at it there are more interesting features.

After a couple of coats of clear minwax it really shows some neat features.  There is some curly wood, the hard packed sand inclusions in the roots and more knots than one can count.  All I have left to do is to put it on the drill press and bore the hole for the cord and hardware and let the Mrs. pick out a shade for it.

Magicman

Nice.  That root butt end certainly did not disappoint you at all.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kderby

One of a kind and beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.

Kderby

Ianab

Excellent  ;D

Now I have this pigs ear, and need a silk purse... Can you help with that too?  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

clww

Beauty may not be only skin deep, after all. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Ianab,said it best. All I can come up with is beauty and the beast. That looks good now.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Ianab on April 24, 2013, 02:41:06 AM
Excellent  ;D

Now I have this pigs ear, and need a silk purse... Can you help with that too?  :D

Ian
I bought my wife a purse that was made from an armadillo but it doesn't resemble silk.  It looks more like an American style football actually. 

lowpolyjoe

Sweet.

I always wondered what good could come out of a stump - i saved 2 with no idea what to do with them :)  Great looking results

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

Now that is sumptin!  :o   :o  Way prettier then anything store bought.
That grain sure pops.

That'd be a good addition to the stump lamp. ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ocklawahaboy

That lathe makes my mine look like what it is, CHEAP.  The tools too.  I am curious though: do you not have a problem with those splitting, especially with the heat of a light bulb on them? 

Pretty stinkin cool!

Jeff

That lamp shade, to me, seems like a tremendous waste of wood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodcarver

I had the same thought, Jeff, when I saw the video.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Jeff on May 14, 2013, 09:30:10 AM
That lamp shade, to me, seems like a tremendous waste of wood.
Think of it as a mulch production facility with a really cool byproduct (lampshade). 

Jeff

Its kind of like starting with a whole log to whittle a Popsicle stick.

beenthere

Boss
Relate it to the saw blade hanging on the side of your house...  ;D

And it was just a piece of firewood anyway.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

You mean the saw that served its intended purpose for many years, that hit a carriage and was wrecked beyond the point of repair? That saw?  ;)

Peter Drouin

I mean no disrespect, but maybe thats what you have to do to make one, takes a lot of wood, I though it was a good job, I can;t do it,  :) :) :) ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tree Feller

There are alternatives to wasting away all the wood when hollowing out large vessels or, in this case, a lamp shade. The Kel McNaughton coring tool and other similar tools will save the center in a solid blank(s).

However, a lot of turning blanks come from wood that would otherwise be discarded, mulched, burned or left to rot so in that respect, anything useful made from it is a salvage operation.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Dodgy Loner

It was just a pine stump. I've probably piled up and burnt 1000 lampshades worth of pine logs in my life, so I don't see what the big deal is. I thought it was cool :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

woodweasel

That is real cool man! I wood love to do that!! ;D ;D 8)

Thank You Sponsors!