iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Easy way to clean bands

Started by kelLOGg, September 19, 2018, 04:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

No matter how much lube I use (within reason) I seem always to get a thin layer of woody matter on the teeth... So I rigged up a way to utilize my drill press with a rotary brush and pass the band teeth over it, flip the band and do the other side. To support the opposite end of the band loop level with the drill press table, a swinging support is lowered from the overhead floor joists. In 4 or 5 minutes when I am through I hoist the support back overhead so it is out of my way. The pics are awful but between them and the writing maybe you can get the idea. I'm using a steel brush - should I switch to brass?

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

doc henderson

Hey Man.  It looks like something my dad or a few of my uncle might have done.  I assume you stand in the middle of that band loop.  I just hope it does not get to spinning on you.  Does your wife know what you are doing out there?!  Looks like fun.  I see guys like you in the ER all the time.  Just want to get their thumb sown back on so they can finish the project.  God Bless!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Gee, thanks for the encouragement Doc!😂 Kellogg, someone had a similar setup on here a few years ago. Seems to work well. Another trick is a little spray of diesel on the band before you remove it from the mill (while it's spinning), it works great the only problem is you have to remember to do it😁
Too many irons in the fire

kelLOGg

I'm not surprised it hasn't been done before - I remember someone cleaning with brushes but not with one on a drill press. The key to its success for me is the pull-down support: in and out of position in seconds.

I think it is much less dangerous than flipping or folding a band. The brush does not grab the teeth endangering fingers. I even have to pull the band into the rotating brush harder than I expected to make sufficient contact to rub the debris off the band. It's my go-to method and I have tried several ways to use a brush for band cleanup.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

doc henderson

Just to clarify.  I compared you to my Dad and Uncles.  They grew up making due.  It was intended as a compliment to your ingenuity.  I could see my Dad in the middle of that band and my mom asking what he was doing.  I had, and continue to have, a huge smile on my face.  I may try this on my bands.  I will just make sure my Wife is not watching.  Carry on Sir. :laugh: smiley_clapping
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I knew you were smiling, Doc. I was too😊😊😊
Too many irons in the fire

kelLOGg

Thanks for the clarification. It's good to be on the same page.
Bob

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fstedy

I do it right on the mill with the blade engaged and engine at idle. Works great with a
razor knife or a short piece of band with the teeth ground off and sharpened and
a handle added or a wire brush. Seems it would be a lot safer also.
PS Do this from behind the blade !!!
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Thank You Sponsors!