iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dr wood splitter

Started by tree chopper, December 18, 2011, 06:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree chopper

hi i have a a small logging operation we do 2500-3000 face cord of firewood per year was wondering how the dr splitter would work in notty hard maple,beech or elm its easy to see in good wood there faster just just wondering if anyone has realy tested one in tough wood thanks for any info
me my son a 1968 chevy c50 log truck 1972 franklin 160 with a 453 detroit a prentice h model log loader with a cab mounted on a 1985 international s model huskee woodsplitter and a old military conveyor 2165 josered 2188 jonsered 266 husky 455 husky 036 pro stihl 460 magnum stihl and a p52 pioneer

timbuck2

Do yourself a favor and go with Timberwolf

John Mc

DR makes a couple of different kinds of splitters. Their "Dual Action" splitter looked pretty light duty to me. Their "RapidFire" logsplitter is flywheel-powered. It's basically a clone of the SuperSplit logsplitter, which has been around for years.

If you look in the Logrite sponsor section here on the Forestry forum check out their firewood processor video. The heart of their processor is a SuperSplit logsplitter. One of their videos shows the splitter handling some gnarly wood (without much trouble).

I can't comment on whether the DR unit is built as well as he SuperSplit (it sure LOOKS the same, but beauty is only skin deep). However, the LogRite video does show that the flywheel concept can handle tough wood.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Piston

Which DR splitter are you referring to? 

My ideal splitter would be a 4 way split-fire but it's out of my budget at this time. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

treechopper,welcome to the forum. I'm not really a big fan of DR stuff. I've looked at some of thier stuff a few times,just don't like what I see. But I have never seen thier splitters. If you are doing that much wood,you need something that will last. I have no idea if you are claiming this as taxable income,but a wood splitter can be deducted, I would buy a big,rugged one no matter what.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jocco

First i don't like face cord but at 2-3000 you need a processor that can load the truck that, is a lot of wood. I like the dr and supper split rapid fire type, to answer your question in bad wood just pull the handle again. Granted there is some wood that is not ideal for fire wood operations  and you may have to sort that out.
You may check out but you will never leave

Buck

lol, let the cubic foot rants begin....rick , rank, cord, face cord.....  laugh_at
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

thecfarm

The rants will cometh.   :D I'm more concerned about him buying a homeowner splitter and destroying it in a year. He's splitting some wood. He mentioned he wants one for knotty tough wood. I come across some,but not a steady stream of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Buck

Serious wood for sure. That kind of production means he's already got it figured out in my book. Wow!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Onthesauk

Have looked at my neighbor's SpeeCo.  Haven't used it enough to recommend it other then that it seems to be almost completely made by over the shelf parts and pieces, should be easy to repair.  I pull it with my ATV and have run a couple of cords through it so far.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

John Mc

Speeco makes a couple of splitter models.

Their flywheel model is (or was?) called the SpeedPro. It seems to have disappeared from TSC's advertising. Possibly related to reports of the teeth shearing off the rack gear. The only SpeedPro I saw was not running (on display at TSC). It did not impress me as something well built enough for anything approaching commercial level firewood production.

I don't know anything about Speeco's more traditional hydraulic splitter models.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

RSteiner

Check out the Super Split.  I know of three firewood dealers producing 100 to 150 full cords of 16" long wood per year and they use a Super Split. 

Randy
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!