iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 440D winch control problem

Started by DJake, April 01, 2021, 10:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJake

Hello all,  now that the mud is here I'm taking some time to correct the leaking spool valve on the skidder.  It appeared that most, if not all of the leaking came from the top of the spool (where it comes out of the cast housing).  I followed the repair manual instructions and found that the bottom spring was broken in two different places.  Could it be as simple as replacing the spring to fix the leak?  I'm wondering if without the pressure the spool isn't seating properly.  Also, what other parts (other than the o rings) should be replaced while it's apart?  I would appreciate any insight/advice

you may have.  Thank you.  

BargeMonkey

I put a kit in mine 10yrs ago ? Springs and O'rings. DONT hurt that spool body because you will pay dearly to find another one. 

DJake

Got it.  I heard that the spools are hard to come by.  Looks like I'm on the right track.  Thank you for the information.  

BargeMonkey

Ive got the complete set of books for that machine if you need something. Yeah that valve assembly is getting rare, when i thought i had a bad one i asked a salvage place they said 800 no guarantees. Certain D series parts are getting harder especially a few of those transmission parts and the parking brake set up, some stuff you can get and some stuff 🤷‍♂️ I've had the best luck with "Harold's logging supply in Maine", Randy has had everything so far, shaft parts, winch parts, who ive been sending everyone i know to. Price it thru Nortrax / Deere and you better grab your ankles and breathe really DEEP...  😆 5yrs ago a band was 1100 ?  A 3325 winch IMO belongs anchoring boats to shore, if mine wasn't as clean and straight as it is it would get the 4000 conversion which can be done. 

DJake

This 3325 has been quite a learning experience, at times I see why would work better as a boat anchor.  But,,,   It's what I've got so I'm making the best of it. I may take you up on your offer Barge, it would be nice to refer to the manuals as I've taken off the band cover because it was slipping a bit and found this.  

Sorry the pics are sideways but as you can see there's some oil.  Not sure if it's from the center swivel fixture.  So I've got a few more questions. I was looking for a UNC cap screw that holds the upper band bracket in place but it appears to be a round bolt, threaded in the middle (if that makes sense).  How is that removed?  
I've got a replacement band but should cleanup the oil leak first.  
Also,  I saw your old post related to the special wrenches.  Thanks for saving some frustration, I'll make up a few of those.  
Good news is that the spool is back together with the springs and orings. 

Grandpa

That top band anchor is a pin. Screw a bolt into it for a handle, put the winch in freespool, and it should pull right out.

DJake

Got it.  I'll try it tomorrow morning Grandpa.  Thank you very much!  

BargeMonkey

Oil is the kiss of death on those bands, ive cooked them, scrubbed, done everything and you can't bring one back. Harold's has them exchange when you need one in the future. Find out where your leaking, if your that far in it your better off changing the outer seal, inner seal on the "puck" which is what pushes the clutch, theres 6 springs in there. PM me your address, the book can go in the mail, covers the entire machine. 

DJake

DJake

All back together and working much better!  Thanks for your help, Barge Monkey I sent you a pm.   

Thank You Sponsors!