iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The 'Buried My Equipment' Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 14, 2021, 09:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

lets see em.  I know a guy doing a lot of digging and cussing today.  Figure he could use some moral support.  ;)
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

This starts off like the time 30 + years ago that I buried my truck up to 1/4 of the doors. Three trucks involved, 1 broken winch (burned up electric motor) & 2 broken 3/8 chain. Not a moment that I want to see again! 🤬 Not to mention that our hunting group was about 10 miles from asphalt & 1 mile from gravel. A time that I will NEVER forget. Man, that's the worst that any of our group had EVER seen anyone stuck in a pickup.

BTW, anybody that WE know?
Trying harder everyday.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Remle

I think most of us have been their and we would like to forget. My dad's quote, " If you haven't done anything stupid, you have never done any thing in your life, just don't make it a habit ". LOL

GAB

My brother and I while doing the annual spring rite of fence mending around a plowed field got dad's MF150 mired to the point you had to step down to get your feet on the running boards.  Dad was not happy.
Does that count?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Firewoodjoe

I didn't take any for the last bad one but this is about a year ago. Those days suck. 

Gary_C

These are old pictures. I won a seven year legal battle over this and got $114K and then had it all taken away by an insurance company and a dysfunctional appeals court system that ruled that since there were no damages at the time the landowner breached his duty to inform me I should not have been able to sue him. 

Would you drive across here when the temperatures had been down to 20 below zero?

Too bad if you said yes. It was nothing but a hole in the ground blasted with diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate some 20 years prior and called a "duck pond." It was barely wide enough for the harvester to fit in the width and it smelled like a sewer when I broke thru. A truly bad day and I dumped an additional $40K into legal fees plus stiffed a lawyer for another $35K.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tacotodd

Gary, hopefully the smell came out!
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

holy mackerel.  youre in the lead gary.  
Praise The Lord

so il logger

450c jack on 30.5/32. Zero warning, no rutting up until this happened.. 

Took a 648H and a cat d4h tsk to free it. 

so il logger

Stoneyacrefarm

I'm going to go ahead and plead the fifth on this one. 
But I'm along for the ride. 
no_no thumbs-up thumbs-up
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: so il logger on May 14, 2021, 04:48:37 PM

I've had the same experience in a 648. But it was spring thaw. Drug hundreds of cords across that trail then down she went. I'm guessing the frost just went. Kinda a weird felling when your on what you thought solid ground. 

WV Sawmiller

Reminds me of the old saying "The biggest advantage of 4WD is it allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places."

I think of pickups and such but seeing the pictures here of dozers and skidders and such put them to shame. You could never even get a truck close enough to get in the muck those guys get stuck in.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mountaynman

The last big job i took that i didnt want to do as a favor for a mill that i had worked for 10 yrs 260 acre lot 1.4mil mbf 4000 cord pulp and softwood 10 miles from home froze 2.5 miles of truck trail and built a 3/4 mile winter spur road all froze in here before thanksgiving early for ny. Loggin away all happy till the 70 degree day in early febuary drove in to do service on machines drug the service truck out all 3 and a 1/4 miles had to forward 20 load of wood all that length the town got my bond and i did a weeks dozin on my dime convinced me to do somethin else we didnt work for 2 months after long wet spring 
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

BargeMonkey

8-9yrs ago I decided I wasn't waiting on a dozer, walking along a kind of steep gravel knob along the creek, got to far over and when I slid I went the wrong way for the leveler to matter. By the time I got to the bottom I needed underwear, had to leave the timbco for 4 months until I could build a road to it to get it out. 

62oliver

I'm gonna use some of these pics to prove to my wife that I need a 2nd skidder.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Gary_C on May 14, 2021, 02:42:04 PM
These are old pictures. I won a seven year legal battle over this and got $114K and then had it all taken away by an insurance company and a dysfunctional appeals court system that ruled that since there were no damages at the time the landowner breached his duty to inform me I should not have been able to sue him.

Would you drive across here when the temperatures had been down to 20 below zero?

Too bad if you said yes. It was nothing but a hole in the ground blasted with diesel fuel and ammonium nitrate some 20 years prior and called a "duck pond." It was barely wide enough for the harvester to fit in the width and it smelled like a sewer when I broke thru. A truly bad day and I dumped an additional $40K into legal fees plus stiffed a lawyer for another $35K.

Wow. I bet that still burns you up Gary!

Walnut Beast

Quote from: so il logger on May 14, 2021, 04:48:37 PM

You, Gary and firewoodjoe have some impressive photos 👍😂

grabber green

One time that comes to mind . We were doing a decent size clear cut in pretty flat ground . I was running the knuckleboom delimbing tree length pine going round and round watching a 411 hydroaxe shear trees from a distance. Pulled a tree through the delimber ,stacked it spun back around and watched the feller buncher flop over. At almost the same time the skidder man sunk the skidder in the mud. So we've got a turned over buncher and a stuck skidder . Then I saw the skidder man running toward the buncher with a fire extinguisher. The buncher was on fire. To rough to get the work truck there ,so I ran the almost 1/2 mile with a big extinguisher . Pretty interesting day :laugh:.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

customsawyer

Back when I did tree planting it happened all to regular. I'm glad we didn't all have cameras on our phones back then.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

grabber green

Mike, we were able to get the fire out with 3 fire extinguishers and a lot of dirt. Just had some wiring and battery  damage. Got the skidder unstuck ,used it to help upright the buncher.  we were running wood again in a couple hours. When the buncher flopped over a battery bracket failed and let the battery short out causing the fire. Big lesson from that day was always keep batteries secure in everything.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Resonator

Saw a youtube video awhile back about a IH TD24 dozer that sank in a remote swamp in Minnesota in 1975. The thing sat SUBMERGED under feet of muck for 44 years, and with multiple winch trucks and an excavator they got it out. Amazingly within a year a gas and steam club had it running again. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!