iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steering problem on a 170 franklin

Started by cking, May 15, 2021, 04:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cking

Hello Everyone
Been following this forum for a short time and enjoy it.
Here's a short introduction. I live in the great state of Pa and have been logging for 21 years.I work by myself and cut everything by hand. I enjoy it for the most part although the hot summers seem to take their toll more then they used to. 

About a month ago i bought a 2003 170 franklin grapple skidder. I really like the machine but I thought the steering seemed a little weak so i repacked the steering cylinders which were leaking a little bit anyway and it seemed to help. Then the other day i was working it up in the woods and my steering got really weak on just the one side all of a sudden. I was able to steer yet but slow so i decided to finish out a couple lds before I try and figure out the problem. Then yesterday i was working in some rocks and pretty much completely lost my steering. I was able to get it down to the landing and took the steering valve body off. I took the valves out and it definitely needs new o-rings but none of the valves seemed to be stuck. Now i'm thinking maybe steering pump? 

Mostly ran cat skidders so far and have no experience with franklins so would appreciate any imput

Thanks

kiko

The steering system on the 170 is dedicated. The steering pump is mounted to engine below the injection pump.  So all you have is pump ,single spool section valve and steer cylinders.   The valve section has a main relief and left and right port reliefs.   The main relief is located in the inlet section and the ports will be in the spool section.  It was a problem with these machines esp when the steering stop bumpers were damaged or missing  , the cylinders would bottom out in a hard steer and would snap the piston off.

cking

Makes sense kiko. The bumpers are gone on it.

Thanks for the reply

mike_belben

If the frame bumpers dont stop the stroke then you may have pulled the piston retainer threads off the rods. 
Praise The Lord

cking

Thanks for the reply mike. After thinking about it today i believe pulling the cylinders will be my next step if rebuilding the valve body doesn't work.

I'm curious if you know Scott from Ironmart down there? I seen your location says Tennessee

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Gary Davis

on my garrett 15 its check fluid levels first then check the belts it does work very welol with low fluid level or loose belts

Thank You Sponsors!